PDA

View Full Version : TXCD300 Streaming to Large Screen Projectors

digiview
08-08-2010, 06:14 AM
Hi all,
I would appreciate any advise on a streaming issue I have concerning quality. My client would like to to have the event Livestreamed from the Tricaster TXCD 300 to another regional city where the video would be projected to large a screen for the audience. I am concerned about the video quality may not be be good enough.

Has anyone had any experience with this and Do I need a Streaming-Server between or just push from the Tricaster.

Many thanks

bbeanan
08-08-2010, 09:55 AM
sure the quality is 1000000% related to the quality of your internet connection between the two venues. But if you can get a solid 5mb up/down connection then you can stream at full HD around 2.5mb and it will look great... I have done this from Salt Lake City UT to Sydney Australia it worked great for the first 10 min. then Australia's internet connection failed and we were dead in the water... but at the same time we had like another 50 cities around the USA that were all watching with zero problems in hotel ballrooms.

Your other option is using Sat. trucks on both ends but that will cost you around $5k just to start that conversation (which may be less than what some hotels charge for internet)

digiview
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Thank you Brett that's the info I was looking for I will investigate to is if I can get 5mb or better up/down connection. As you say a sat truck is the only other option.

bbeanan
08-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Look at using https://watershed.ustream.tv they are WAY cheap and you can push up a full HD H.264 stream... granted if it is only for 1 location youy may be able to just do a direct link to a static IP granted I have never done this so not 100% shure how to make it happen for you.

bob anderson
08-10-2010, 05:10 PM
The only trick to getting the direct IP connection to work is getting around all the firewalls. My experience is that if you are working in a hotel/ballroom there is pretty much NO WAY you can get around their security.

Bob Anderson

digiview
08-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Hi All,
I have conducted a speed test on the venue's ADSL+ connection and the best I could get an of 2844 kbps download and upload is 689 kbps this the max it's a real problem it's really looks like a Sat truck job.

jmmultex
08-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Here is an off-the-wall suggestion...

Would it be possible to pull the feed outside the venue (like you would for the satellite uplink), but simply do a wireless link to an alternate local facility that might have the hard bandwidth you need? If there is an office building, university, church, etc nearby that would let you tap into their internet connection for some consideration, you might be able to do this for way less than a sat setup.

Here is the kind of attachment I was thinking about:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5601678&CatId=1594

It does work over longer distances with a line-of-sight (up to 3 miles), so this could probably work well for streaming to nearby buildings without too much falloff in bandwidth.

My thinking is that you would take the ADSL link from the hotel and this secondary wireless link and attach them to the WAN ports of a load-balancing router like this Duolinks SW24:
http://www.amazon.com/Duolinks-SW24-2PORT-Balancing-Router/dp/B0012ZQ0GA

The Tricaster would be connected to a standard network port on the router, but would stream across both WAN links. If for some reason the wireless link went down momentarily, you would still have a (deprecated) signal pushing through the ADSL link. This would give you at least enough redundancy to continue streaming - your worst case would be a potential quality drop if you lose one of the WAN links.

I know this is probably a bit too 'mad-scientist DIY' for a production, but I'm just throwing it out there...

Good luck!

-john

bbeanan
08-11-2010, 08:58 AM
Yea there was a thread a few weeks ago where one guy said he even parked a few cars spaced apart with inverters and wireless bridge units in them to bounce a fast connection like a few blocks or was it miles to his venue...

Or hey just rent the mini cooper from NewTek it will do the job...

PIZAZZ
08-11-2010, 09:21 AM
That download speed should be decent enough to use. You might want to look at dedicated encoder/decoder devices like Marshall or HaiVision sells. These function in a point to point fashion if you like and can carry video up to 1080i all over the public internet or private internet.

There are also people that rent out the Sat dish setups like TodoCast we used on the mini.

where is the event located exactly and I might be able to set you up with one of my contacts.

jmmultex
08-11-2010, 09:40 AM
Interesting - I was assuming that the location digiview was describing was the broadcast venue - not the 'large screen display' venue. If thats the case, 690K uplink on an ADSL line could be problematic for a sharp HD stream - even at 720p. IMHO

-john

joseburgos
08-11-2010, 05:38 PM
I wonder how well a Slingbox with the HD adaptor (that is what I have) would do at that speed? Slingbox works exceptionally well for point to point and it has a great buffering system to sustain video quality. I have been very please with the results when ever I have used it.

digiview
08-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Hello All,
I really do love the way you guys think so informative.
The situation is that I present the video presentation (Academy Awards Style) which is shown on the large screen's in the Ballroom of Intercontinental Hotel in Adelaide South Australia. The organisation that I do this for would like to involve our other country regional members by holding the event simultaneously in other country regional centers and feeding the video presentation from Adelaide To Mount Gambier some 450 kilometres away.

PIZAZZ
08-12-2010, 07:46 AM
If that is the case then, go with ku sat truck setups

TakeOneDigital
08-13-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm the one who set up the wireless WAN using repeaters and cars... we did that event about one city block for a very low-bandwidth webcast (500kbps) stealing an open wi-fi network for about an hour early in the morning (and we could've been cut off at any time if that network manager caught us).

For the other event, we used high-gain directional wi-fi antennae to shoot from LA City Hall (with their permission and IT help) to a park about 3 blocks away line-of-sight. That one was higher bandwidth. But I'd NEVER try wi-fi for the kind of sustained bandwidth that you're talking about. It simply has too many packet issues, signal resets, and such. Better to either get the local telco to hook you up with an event-use T3 (may be cheaper than satellite) or go satellite (you know it's expensive when your signal is being bounced through SPACE!).

jmmultex
08-13-2010, 04:39 AM
Agreed - I'd never do a single wifi only connection for a stream like this. Even the hybrid model I suggested was more around finding a workable solution within a constrained budget rather then proposing something optimal. If budget allows, the approaches you layed out would clearly be best.

-john