PDA

View Full Version : Rendertime Help.

K-Dawg
08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi there,

I'm working on an aimation and have a problem with rendertime.

I wanted to use chached radiosity (and still might do so), but my rendertime is way to high. I'm already at app. 25 Minutes with 2x AA no APS Persp. Cam.

I have to say, I have 72 DP Tube Lights for the lighting setup. There might be a few more to come.

My Radiosity is setup as:
Final Gather
Interpolated
Use Gradients
Use Behind Test
Use Bumps
100% intensity
5 Bounces
400 RPE
35 Secondary Rays
Angle Tolerance 50
Min PS 10
Max PS 100

With multiplier set to 50% my test renders GI takes ~ 2 mins. My Render after GI can take up to 30 Mins (depending where the cam is)

The Final scene will have at least 4 Million Polys. I can't instance so thats why I'll have so many Polys. The test renders though have ~ 500k Polys and take that long.

Is there any way to reduce rendertime so that the finaly animation wont take me forever to render?

What kind of tricks can I use? How to maybe render in passes with GI etc.?

Please understand that I can't buy any plugins and have to use what is Lightwave out of the box or Plugins that are free.

I'll be glad for any help.

Greetz

xchrisx
08-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Just out of curiosity do your GI settings need to be that high? 5 bounces? 400 RPE? Also, you can try an ambient occlusion pass instead of GI if all you need is the shadows from the GI. And if all of the lights aren't close to camera you might drop their samples to a lower value. Also give this guide a look to see if you can optimize the GI further: http://www.except.nl/lightwave/RadiosityGuide95/index.htm

-chris

K-Dawg
08-06-2010, 11:04 AM
Hi Chris.

Thx, honestly, I have no idea why it is that high :D. I followed exactly that Tutorial you posted (both 9.5 and 9.6) Thats why i set them High. It was recomennded to at least use 500 RPE for interior scenes.

Now, I really like the look of the 5 Bounces compared to the 3 bounces. Maybe i just have to raise the itensity for 3 bounces.

About AO. I have no idea how to use it. Some tuts say "just tick on AO in the GI Settings" some say "you need the AO shading node".
I have no idea how to do it, besides that, the scene wouldn't be evenly lit without Radiosity.

Greetz

Danner
08-06-2010, 02:10 PM
"I have to say, I have 72 DP Tube Lights for the lighting setup. There might be a few more to come."

I use bright polygons as lights when using radiosity, even if I have to hide them from the camera. Area type lights are slow and don't look as good!

Your settings:

Final Gather
Interpolated
Use Gradients
Use Behind Test <-- this can greatly increase rendertime in some situations
Use Bumps <-- Not sure what this does, but your bump maps should work fine if your RPE is over 400, turn it off
100% intensity <-- if your scene becomes too dark after reducing the bounces you can increace that to 120 or 130, I you need to go higher then you shoudl probably increase brightness somewhere else, (like using Wavefilterimage image filter and increase the gama with it)
5 Bounces <- I usually use 2, higher than that is hardly noticeable but takes waaay longer
400 RPE <-- that is fine
35 Secondary Rays <-- too high. try 16
Angle Tolerance 50
Min PS 10
Max PS 100

Another couple tips I can give you.

Reduce your rays per evaluation till your transparent or reflective surfaces start showing your background color (easy to see if you make it bright purple)

Make every surface single sided, if you need to see the back side of something make a duplicate and flip it.

If memory allows, Stay away from ray traced lights, area lights, linear lights etc, use shadow mapped lights with high "shadow map size" values so the shadows don't mess up and turn on "Cache shadow map" for all your shadows. Your first rendered frame (with f10) will be slow while it generates all the shadow maps, but the rest will fly.

Give your radiosity cache a name, click "bake radiosity scene" using a frame step of around 20 or 30 depending on how fast the camera moves. (faster values lower the step).

Don't use transparency maps if you can use a clip map. (transparency maps don't work with shadow maps and render waay slower anyway)

Some surfaces like wood look great if you turn on reflection bluring but it's really slow, I use a trick where I place special lights (linear usually) that only affect specularity to fake reflection bluring.

----

After the shadow map cache frame, my HD frames are rarely over 5 minutes with 3 AA and .04 AS

Cageman
08-06-2010, 03:02 PM
One thing that I've noticed, especially with the current project at work, is that you seldom need that high settings on anything. Truth to be told is that LWs interpolation is doing a great job even with low settings. Granted, you will see differences between high and low settings, but will your client do that? Or...anyone that isn't aware of the difference?

For the static environments we have been using only 64 primary rays with 1 bounce and multiplier set to 10% (Final Gather), resulting in renders taking about 8-12 minutes in 720p (Persp Camera, AA15, ASS0.03, OS0.6) on a Q6600 QuadCore Intel, and it looks really good (outdoor scenes with lots of foilage). The camera moves quite much, but there are NO GI-flicker to be found (AA-flicker is pretty much completely gone as well). Since we do not render this with any type of Motionblur, it needs to look good, which it does. The cache is set to framestep 25.

Granted is that you will notice HUGE difference between 1 and 2 bounces, but after that it really doesn't add that much. There are reasons why we do not go higher than 1 on our bounces, but we could do that as well if we wanted to but still keep rendertimes managable.

:)

K-Dawg
08-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Thx for your replies guys. Helped me alot.

I was fiddeling around some and then I was able to also fix the way to high Polycount.

I'm not used to the APS SDS yet, but I had that set way to high for Objects in the distance.

@ Cageman
how do you get the 720p so quick? How many Polys do you have and what about lightsetup?

If I change my Settings, my Rendertime gets better, but with 6 AA AS 0.03 and 0.3 my Renders still render longer than yours at standard NTSC DV. oO

I'm running Intel Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz with 8K Ram.

Greetz

toby
08-07-2010, 10:13 PM
Well he probably doesn't have 72 lights... that's a ton, even if they were single point source instead of area-type lights. Besides calculating the shadows, every one of them plus their shadows gets factored into every bounce of gi, so your render time goes up geometrically with more lights. Why do you need so many?

He's also rendering w/ multiplier at 10%, which is calculating radiosity for 1/10th the size of the final image, then scaled up. So theoretically it takes 1/10th the time to calculate gi; but of course there is a loss in quality.

K-Dawg
08-10-2010, 04:10 AM
@ toby
yeah I think so with the amount of lights. I used them cause I'm recreating a drop ceiling that has 18 (reduced them from 20) Recessed Lights with 4 Tubes each.

Funny though, when I use only 18 Area Lights scaled to fit the width of the box, it takes longer to render than the 64 (or 72) lights. I swapped em all out with only 18 Spotlights, that does give a nice result but hard edge shadows, and the rendertime is the same as with the 64 Lights. Funny.

So I'll stay with DP Tube setup due to the softer shadows.

Oddly, Radiosity calculation time isn't that long. With my lights and GI Settings it's about 20 secs. Rendering after Radiosity calculation is what disturbs me. That takes too long. approx. 3 Min. with Persp. Cam AA 2 no AS @ ~2 million Polys

Greetz

Danner
08-10-2010, 11:30 AM
You can get soft shadows on spotlights if you use shadow maps. Shadow mapped lights have their limitations, specially if you have many small objects the resolution might not be enough to give them shadows. But they render really fast specially if you cache them.
Another trick I have used is a variation of the spinning light trick, just move a light back and forth in a fraction of a frame, and it creates a linear light if you render with motion blur.

toby
08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
3 minutes?! that's nothing. I'd say we're done here

K-Dawg
08-10-2010, 01:51 PM
@ toby
Haha I agree. But I don't do animations that much and will have a 20-30 secs animation when I'm finished with Motion Blur and higher AA than 2 and more Polys than 2 Million.

Thats my concern, especially when each frame takes 60+ Minutes to render (again, right now I'm not at final Scene). I don't have a renderfarm and need my Comp for other work as well than just rendering, especially when I need to switch over to my Linux for my actual work.

@ Danner
Thx for the hint. I tried a setup with 18 Pointlights and moved them +/-100mm on the Z and Oscillate them. Activated MB 2 Passes and looked what happens. Well rendertimes doesn't reduce what is kinda funny, not even when I turn off MB and just render with Hard edges. Same Cam setting all over.

Funny is, it takes the same time to render 18 Pointlights as it renders with 72 DP Tube Lights oO

I then tried 18 Spotlights. Wow thats quick, unfortunately the whole image looks too flat and the Shadows aren't there near the ground. So the chairs (154 in scene) look like they are not on the ground.

Anyway, thx for the hints guys. I now know it's the lights for sure and will have to see which setup I'll use for the final image. You guys have been a great help.

I really appreciate it.

Greetz

toby
08-10-2010, 02:29 PM
Oh I see, that is a problem. I'm assuming your chairs and tables don't move, so you can bake the soft shadows on the ground, that should save you a ton of time. First try turning off receive shadow on the floor to see how much faster it goes. If it's a huge improvement, save the scene as a new one, place a camera above the room pointing straight down, check 'unseen by camera' on everything but the floor. Render a still image, and project this onto the floor using the same camera.

Since we just want the shadows, you'll want to change the light and surface colors to 100% white (leave light intensities where they are)/remove all maps, turn off gi, then use the render as a diffuse texture map.

Or you could leave gi and colors on, and bake everything into the texture, then use the map in the color channel and turn diffuse off and turn luminosity on 100%.

Cageman
08-10-2010, 04:43 PM
So I'll stay with DP Tube setup due to the softer shadows.

Oddly, Radiosity calculation time isn't that long. With my lights and GI Settings it's about 20 secs. Rendering after Radiosity calculation is what disturbs me. That takes too long. approx. 3 Min. with Persp. Cam AA 2 no AS @ ~2 million Polys

Greetz

I've noticed, especially with DPs Distant Light, that you can lower the number of samples to something like 2 and add AS to compensate for the noise. In all of the tests that I've conducted with that particular light, I came out with almost equal results as default 16 samples, chewing off around 50 to 75% of the original rendertime. You should play with the number of samples to see if you are getting almost as good results by adding AS instead. In most cases, this methology should give you a speedboost. Obviously it depends on other factors as well, but it should be a good start to lower the samples and then add AS.

Another good trick to use is to lower your resolution to 1/4 of the original and do some testrenders to see what the time is. This is mainly to not waste time waiting for renders to get an approximation about the total rendertime for a sequence. Multiply the time you get with 8 and you get a rough estimate on what it would take in full resolution. However, bare in mind that AS isn't predictable here... if you use AS, you should be aware of the fact that the full res render may take several minutes more (strictly speaking about the new cameratypes here). If you don't use AS but crank up AA, the rendertimes will become more true. Also, do some tests using Classic Camera.

In our case, for the characters, I noticed that I can render brute force montecarlo GI with very good results, using only 10 samples on the GI, but using Classic Camera with Advanced High settings (17 passes). The level of AA these passes adds smooths things out good enough for what we need. Since we render out directlight with buffers and a clean indirect light pass (only GI), it works very, very well when you composite all the stuff together. The most demanding frames where we have used this technique resulted in about 4 minutes/frame in 720p (that is with 6 characters in frame at the same time). Trust me when I say that I tried many different combinations of AA/AS with Perspective camera, but all of them ended up rendering alot longer for similar results as Classic Camera. If I remember correctly, Perspective camera rendered more than twice the time for a similar result.

The direct lightpass is even faster than that, however, for this pass, Perspective Camera with AA15, AS0.03 and OS0.6, ended up in about 2 minutes for that particular frame, and none of the combinations of Classic Camera and AA never came close to those numbers.

Anyho.. The combined rendertimes for these are way below the time we would need if we rendered everything in one go. The reason for this is basicly that GI can look good without much AA, while reflections and all that other stuff do require higher settings. Since higher settings would mean unbearable rendertimes if rendered with GI, "divide and conquer" approach is absolutely saving time. Yes, it does mean that you have to do compositing to put things togehter, but damn... the rendertime we have shaved off by doing it this way is absolutely insane...really!

The good thing with this, is that we end up having total control in comp, because we make use of LWs renderbuffers, so we will never need to rerender anything, except if someone says that we need to actually change something severe (like a characters animation or completely new textures etc).

btw... regarding our scenes and the speed.... since they are outdoor, we only have 1 main source for the light (a Distant light, the sun so to speak). To add to the Radiosity/GI effect we have a DPs Sunsky mixed with an HDRI.

We have one scene though, that have over 50 lights + our sun-light. All those other lights are spotlights that are using either raytraced shadows or shadowmaps. The Environment-render with the settings I mentioned earlier in this particular scene ends up at about 16 minutes/frame on a [email protected] (this is an F9 with Direct and indirect light contribution). This is the largest of the scens, but the number of polygons isn't that high... about 2.5 million (not counting characters). But we are heavy on textures though. :D

I realise that this post is quite long now, so I better stop, but I will say this (shameless plug): Janus+exrTrader is THE most timesaving of tools I've ever used regarding rendering. OMG! Any LWaver serious on rendering should absolutely get these tools, as they work so well toghether and makes multipass/multilayer rendering a breeze.

Truly awesome stuff!

Cageman
08-10-2010, 04:57 PM
K-Dawg:

Would it be possible for you to post your content or send it to me privately? I would love to take a look at it and see if I can come up with some optimizations. While all the stuff I've talked about in this thread works for our particular project, doesn't mean it will work in your case.

K-Dawg
08-10-2010, 05:05 PM
Hi Cageman
Thx for your Post.

I'm not against any Solutions that require Compositing. I do want to dig in that aswell so I'm ok with that.i just have no idea how to Multipass with LW without any Plugins. I can't afford any expensive Plugins, so I have to figure out how to do things with what comes with LW out of the box, or with help of Free Plugins. (here again many thx to all the Plugin makers)

Most of the time I render my images and Animations all together without Passes, but I do dislike it when I need to change something and have to rerender everthing. One reason I don't do too much stuff (except playing around) with LW.

The Project I'm working on now will be my most advanced of all. Nothing that can keep up with you Pros, but for me a next step up.

I personally gave myself a deadline till first week of September. I'm afraid I won't make it till then though.

I'll see what I can put together and send you. Just don't laugh about my noob like skills :D

Greetz

Cageman
08-10-2010, 05:19 PM
We all have to start somewhere, and I'm happy to help if I can. However, as you will notice when you get more and more knowledge is that there is no recepie to get things render fast. There are many variables that has to be accounted for, and it does require experience to find and analyze these variables. That said, with similar content and lighting conditions, things tend to be pretty even.

Hopefully I will get some time to look at your content, but we are in a crunch right now, so be aware that it might take some time before I actually can take a look... It all depends on the where we are in the process... :)

JonW
08-10-2010, 05:24 PM
To save re-rendering, when you are at a stage to check the fly through or you think you are ready to do the final render. Render the fly through doing every 10th frame or so.

You may waste a day rendering but itís better than a week down the drain.

toby
08-10-2010, 06:01 PM
A fair amount of your multi-pass work can be done with LW's Render Buffer Export.

3dWannabe
08-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Anyho.. The combined rendertimes for these are way below the time we would need if we rendered everything in one go. The reason for this is basicly that GI can look good without much AA, while reflections and all that other stuff do require higher settings. Since higher settings would mean unbearable rendertimes if rendered with GI, "divide and conquer" approach is absolutely saving time. Yes, it does mean that you have to do compositing to put things togehter, but damn... the rendertime we have shaved off by doing it this way is absolutely insane...really!

Are you using Janus' overrides to render different passes with different AA, AS, etc. to reduce render time?

If you ever do another Janus tutorial, that would be a pretty cool one, showing how to take a very long render and break it up so that only the parts that need a render-intensive feature, get that feature.

Especially for an animated sequence, where there are other gremlins to avoid besides a long render time.

K-Dawg
08-11-2010, 02:40 AM
@ toby
thx for reminding. I'll have to look into that tool again. That might be very helpful later on.

@ JonW
Thx, thats a good idea to check the overall animation before final rendering.

@ cageman
No hastes buddy, I still have much to do and don't have all models done yet, not to mention final textures etc.

I'll have to see when I can pack things up for sending to you. again, thx for the offer.

Greetz

K-Dawg
08-13-2010, 03:48 PM
OK I wanted to let you guys know, I have reduced my rendertimes dramatically.

I can hear toby right now "THE LIGHTS" XD

Yes, I reduced the lights and see there, my rendertime was reduced by almost a third, then using the tips you guys gave me with GI etc. I have reduced my rendertime under 1 minute with AA2 AS0 OS0 what took me more than 3 minutes before.

Just one thing that really keeps me wondering whats going on.

When I render with ~ 2.2 Million Polys, AA 8 As0 OS0, I get a very nice result at ~ 3 Minutes. When I use AA8 AS 0.03 OS 0.5, it takes more than 10 Minutes.

I always thought that the AS settings should reduce rendertime, not raise them.

Anyways, I really appreciate all of your help. All the tips together is what helped me to get the rendertime in control.

Thx everyone

Greetz

toby
08-13-2010, 04:23 PM
AS *adds* edge anti-aliasing to the number of passes you set, so you can reduce the number of AA passes when you use it. So now you've got an even faster render! Try AA1 with as .03, this gives you pretty good, but not high quality AA. See how that looks and go up a bit from there.

JonW
08-13-2010, 05:50 PM
AA can render faster than AS, but it depends on what you are trying to do, & every scene is different.

If you do use AA, & you are doing 8 passes, you may as well do 9, there is a slightly better jump in quality at 5, 9, 17, 33 passes etc.

AA of 5 plus some AS can work really well.

K-Dawg
08-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Thx guys.

I read something here (http://www.except.nl/lightwave/aa/index.htm) that AS can produce problems with pipelining to a comp program.

I'm not sure if I understood that correctly but anyway, I will be using Motion Blur and maybe DOF as well. Luckly I still have some time before I really have to decide what AS I'll have to use.

For now, rendering without AS gives me faster renders and the tests I did also show that the AS renders don't always look better, but take much longer.

Greetz

Danner
08-14-2010, 09:24 AM
I have been rendering with lightwave nonstop for years and antialias is still a mistery to me.

I had this outdoor scene with planks on the floor and a cross pattern fence, If I turned up the AA the planks would look great but the fence looked aweful. If I used more AS (the lower the number the more AS is used) then the fence looked great and the planks would look aweful. So I had to increase both and it was slow.

I can usually get good results with 3pass AA and 0.04 AS. If I still have jaggies I increease AA, if I still have texture noise I increase As (lower the number to .03 or .02).

Cageman
08-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Ok... I think it is time to make a timeout here, because I'm starting to believe that pepople are talking about different things here. :)

When people say passes I am thinking about two things: Classic Camera AA (PLD and Classic AA) and new Cameratype Passes which you setup under MBlur. These are the only situations where LW renders things in multiple passes. If using Perspective Camera and set AA5, it still renders in a single pass, not 5 passes. Most importantly is that Perspective camera AA5 doesn't equal Classic camera Low AA (which is 5 passes).

All this makes it confusing to talk about, since I believe everyone have their own take on what is what, so maybe it is time to come up with a standard regarding how we communicate around this?

I've attached 3 images that explain how I see it.

Cageman
08-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Are you using Janus' overrides to render different passes with different AA, AS, etc. to reduce render time?

Yes. For the characters GI-pass, we use Classic Camera with Classic High AA (17 passes) and "brute force" Monte-Carlo with 10 primary rays. Looks really good actually and renders in less than 5 minutes / frame in most cases (720p).

For the characters Direct lightpass, I use Perspective Camera, AA15, AS0.03 and OS0.6 (and obviously no GI activated). Again, this renders really fast, but is not suitable for the GI-pass.

If you ever do another Janus tutorial, that would be a pretty cool one, showing how to take a very long render and break it up so that only the parts that need a render-intensive feature, get that feature.

Especially for an animated sequence, where there are other gremlins to avoid besides a long render time.

Yeah... I've actually started working on a Janus-tutorial to go through the setup that we use at work. Don't know when it will be finished though. :) But granted is that breaking things up like this makes things very managable as long as you know your ways around a compositing application. The tricky thing for us was to get characters to render in managable times, without GI-flicker. Environments and vehicles can be rendered using cached or animation cached Interpolated GI, so those things aren't really an issue. That said, I have seen GI-flicker on animated objects despite the fact that they are not deforming. In such situations, the same methology we use for Characters applies here as well.

There is also a third solution for characters/vehicles if what I just said doesn't work out regarding rendertimes or quality, but I guess I leave that for the tutorial. :D

K-Dawg
08-15-2010, 06:03 AM
Ok... I think it is time to make a timeout here, because I'm starting to believe that pepople are talking about different things here. :)

When people say passes I am thinking about two things: Classic Camera AA (PLD and Classic AA) and new Cameratype Passes which you setup under MBlur. These are the only situations where LW renders things in multiple passes. If using Perspective Camera and set AA5, it still renders in a single pass, not 5 passes. Most importantly is that Perspective camera AA5 doesn't equal Classic camera Low AA (which is 5 passes).

All this makes it confusing to talk about, since I believe everyone have their own take on what is what, so maybe it is time to come up with a standard regarding how we communicate around this?

I've attached 3 images that explain how I see it.

Thats how I understood it too. Got me confused as well :D

Greetz

toby
08-15-2010, 07:57 PM
Yes. For the characters GI-pass, we use Classic Camera with Classic High AA (17 passes) and "brute force" Monte-Carlo with 10 primary rays. Looks really good actually and renders in less than 5 minutes / frame in most cases (720p).

For the characters Direct lightpass, I use Perspective Camera, AA15, AS0.03 and OS0.6 (and obviously no GI activated).

I wouldn't recommend anyone use different anti-aliasing settings (much less different kinds of aa) for different passes of the same object, you will end up with different edges that will show up when you composite. Not to mention how different the motion blur can look.

This even happened to me using multiple motion blur passes instead of aa, even though it was always the same setting, so I avoid that method too.

Cageman
08-16-2010, 02:26 AM
I wouldn't recommend anyone use different anti-aliasing settings (much less different kinds of aa) for different passes of the same object, you will end up with different edges that will show up when you composite. Not to mention how different the motion blur can look.

This even happened to me using multiple motion blur passes instead of aa, even though it was always the same setting, so I avoid that method too.

Well, it works very well for us, so I'm not sure what you were doing. Obviously I have testcomped everything before commiting to doing it that way.

K-Dawg
08-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi Guys,

I have no idea what happened, but the Lightsetup I mentioned raised rendertime dramatically again.

I swapped all DP Lights out now and am using standard Pointlights.

I'm using the famous "Spinning Light Trick" together with GI and man, thats quick with very nice results.

OK AA5, AS0 OS0, MB 50% 5 Passes still takes about 8-10 Minutes, but hey that is way better than AA 1, no MB and 5 Minutes with almost same results with shadows etc.

I'm pretty sure I'll stay with this setup now. I hope no wackiness happens again and I need a new setup :/

My toughest scene takes me about 25 Minutes to render with this setup. Yes still long, but way better than before.

Thats ~5 Million Polys, Textured, Lights (18 Point Lights), AA5, AS.03, OS .5, GI and MB

Not too bad I think. Take in account I'm having several reflective surfaces, Transparency, 2000px Texture Maps and so on.

What you guys think? The "normal" scenes (~2.2 Million polys) take 8-10 Miutes with about the same settings.

Greetz

Cageman
08-16-2010, 10:13 PM
What resolution do you render in?

Without knowing your scene-setup and what it is you are rendering, it is kind of hard to tell wether it is a good optimization or not. Now that you mention you have several reflective and transparent surfaces, Ray Recursion Limit (Render Globals->Render Tab) is somthing to take a look at as well. Default is 16, which is, in most cases, way above what you need. Bringing this number down to 8 or even 4 will greately reduce rendertimes, without a visible loss of quality. It effectivly limits the number of reflection bounces. It also limits the transparency. If set to 16, you can have 16 (or 15) transparent objects in a row and the cameraray will shoot through all these. If you set it to 4 in the same example, cameraray will only go through 4 (or 3) and then return the backdrop color.

K-Dawg
08-17-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi Cageman,

embarrassely I must say that I'm rendering at D1 PAL only. My Ray limit ought to be set to 8, I have to check that again later. I don't have that much transparent objects, just 3 window like Plexiglas things.

Reflections I have a bit more, even though they are rather slightly than really visible from distance. I et them up with reflection blur etc. all in Node Editor.

The one shot took me 25 Minutes +/- 1 Minute or so. It was with AS on so I'm sure, without AS it would be a lot quicker, but then again only at AA 5.

Oh another thing, what also adds to the rendertime is the Mesh Freezing the renderer does before it actually starts to render. That takes 20-50 Seconds, depending where the camera is at the time in the scene.

Greetz

JonW
08-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Unless you have truck loads of CPU resources. Try to remove any things from the scene that's not required.

I think most issues to reducing render times have been suggested.

8-10 min a frame is relative, you may have a slow computer. You may be lucky enough to have patient customers.

This benchmark gives a fairly good idea how fast your computer is.
http://www.3dspeedmachine.com/?page=3&scene=39

toby
08-17-2010, 07:35 PM
Well, it works very well for us, so I'm not sure what you were doing. Obviously I have testcomped everything before commiting to doing it that way.
I'm only saying that it's not a good thing to recommend, because it has a fundamental flaw. It may be good enough for you, but that doesn't mean it's good practice globally. You should always warn of the potential problems if you're going to recommend workarounds anyway.

K-Dawg
08-18-2010, 08:12 AM
@ JonW
Thx for the Link. I tried it out and this is my result. (see attachment)

My System is a Core 2 Quad Q9550 with 8 GB DDR2 Ram

Well, when I get to it I'll send Cageman my Scene and see if there is maybe something to optimize and to learn from.

Greetz

K-Dawg
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Sry for Double Post but I had to.

after the Benchmark I remembered to check the Ray Limit. DUUUUUUHHHHH. I had it set to 16. I know that I had it at 8 once, but forgot that the scene I'm using was built afterwards from scratch and I just imported my cameras/lights etc. from the older file, but the Settings don't get imported (Global Settings)

I now found out WHY my scene suddenly had a high hit on Rendertime.

Thx Cageman for mentioning that again. I had the time today to look at it again. Yesterday no time to turn LW on.

How Embarrassing :D

Greetz