PDA

View Full Version : Automating rotating tiles

hemmster
08-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have to produce an animation showing a map of a country made up of a few hundred tiles. These tiles would flip over originating from a city and working their way out over time - like a mexican wave. Ideally I would like to have nulls for the origin, spread and the rotation itself. It would be faster to build all the tiles in Modeler as 1 object but I know that's not going to be easy to animate.

Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

nickdigital
08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I believe the DPKit will help you with this.
http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109804&highlight=dpkit

There are other ppl on this forum with more experience on here so hopefully they'll chime in.

But DPKit would be the place to start.

Nangleator
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
There are old threads about animating a crowd holding signs that flip over at different rates to reveal pictures on the other side.

(Good luck with the search terms for that!)

Sounds like you need a Motion Mixer animation copied to an array of tiles and triggered by a displacement map...

Or, possibly... Each tile is a sprite movie of a tile rotating over. Don't know how you'd texture that correctly. Or trigger the movies to start at the correct time.

hemmster
08-07-2010, 06:54 AM
I've done some tests and thing I can do this with DPKit and the displacement Node Editor. Thanks both for your help.