PDA

View Full Version : Archiving video

doublea74
08-06-2010, 08:10 AM
The HDD on our Tricastor Studio is nearly full and there are several projects we don't want to just delete. We have an external HDD that we can dump stuff to. Is there a proper or prefered method to doing this? Are there any things that I have to make sure I do a certian way so that I don't have any issues down the line if I need to access/edit some of the video?

Soth
08-06-2010, 10:59 AM
i have spare pc with SyncBackPro making backup every early morning

thnen on the same computer backblaze is uploading everything on ftp server (you pay fixed fee for unlimited space on their servers)

i hope it will help :)

scaught101
08-09-2010, 07:35 PM
We installed Acronis True Image Home on the TC and it backs up to a firewire-connected HDD. Works great.

bbeanan
08-09-2010, 08:38 PM
and always make 2 copies on 2 seperate hard drives... also you will want to power up those hard drives at least 1 time every 6 months or so for a few hours.

I use one of these:
http://www.startech.com/item/SATDOCK22R-USB-to-SATA-Standalone-Hard-Drive-Duplicator-Dock-HDD-Docking-Station.aspx

and then cycle the data... taking a new hard drive I clone the data from the oldest drive and then use the old drive for the new data...

Hard drive need to power up at least once a year to maintain the platters. Also you do this process and spot check a few files each time just to be sure you are good... then you do the same process with the other set. Keeping the other set either off site or in a fireproof safe.

And with how cheap bare hard drives are you can't beat this set-up

you can get these to hold the drives for storage.... http://www.startech.com/item/HDDSLEV35-35in-Silicon-Laptop-Hard-Drive-Protector-Sleeve-with-Connector-Cap.aspx

dnewman31
08-23-2010, 10:55 AM
Tomek,

Are you archiving video files to BackBlaze? Have you had any problems with LARGE files? Like 1 to 1.5 hour recordings? They can get pretty big and from looking at BackBlaze's site it looked like they had a 9GB file cap (aside from lightroom and apurture library files). Is that true, or is it all user settings?

They look like a great solution at a cost I can afford to use for my home photography collection.

Thanks
-Duane

Jim_C
08-23-2010, 11:41 AM
Windows has a Freebie Sync program that works well also. you can set it up for scheduling. very simple but easy to use.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E0FC1154-C975-4814-9649-CCE41AF06EB7&displaylang=en

Just another option

Soth
11-09-2010, 11:39 AM
Tomek,

Are you archiving video files to BackBlaze? Have you had any problems with LARGE files? Like 1 to 1.5 hour recordings? They can get pretty big and from looking at BackBlaze's site it looked like they had a 9GB file cap (aside from lightroom and apurture library files). Is that true, or is it all user settings?

They look like a great solution at a cost I can afford to use for my home photography collection.

I have backed up 771GB - actually I have emailed them that I have a lot of data, they seemed not to care too much. :)

There is 9000MB cap per file. So large system images are no-no. But even those you can split with total commander, rar or 7zip and you will be just fine. :)