PDA

View Full Version : Advances in CG Motion Blur



boomforeal
08-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Came across this interesting discussion on advances on CG Motion Blur (particularly as it apples to cartoon based animation)

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/cgi/cool-advances-in-cg-motion-blur.html

It would be great if Newtek could work on something similar for Lightwave in future.

shrox
08-05-2010, 10:07 PM
Maybe, but Lightwave is primarily 3D. I did notice this on the same site:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/bad-ideas/yogi-bear-trailer.html

Poor Dan Aykroyd...even Bill Murray admitted he regretted voicing Garfield in his death scene in Zombieland.

jameswillmott
08-05-2010, 10:37 PM
That looked awful... Yogi, not the cartoon blur.

boomforeal
08-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Yes well we're all aware that Lightwave is a 3d application (think its mentioned somewhere in the manual)....The article refers to a new form of motion blur based on some of the principles developed through classic 2d animation principles, which would be handy.

Elmar Moelzer
08-06-2010, 02:34 AM
From what I understand, there would not be any correct shading on the resulting patch, just color information. This is why this would probably work best on cartoons.
LW Photoreal MBlur is already very good and IMHO among the best in the industry. I think these effects do have their place for NPR rendering. The people at Nick digital would probably love this.
Btw, the described strobing effect would already be somewhat possible with LWs classic cam motionblur, I presume.

Danner
08-06-2010, 02:51 AM
I don't render with motion blur now, much faster to add it in post with Re:Vision RMSB filter. It works like magic 90% of the time. for the other 10% you can render out the vectors wich is still faster than doing full motion blur.

shrox
08-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Yes well we're all aware that Lightwave is a 3d application (think its mentioned somewhere in the manual)....The article refers to a new form of motion blur based on some of the principles developed through classic 2d animation principles, which would be handy.

This picture didn't come up when I first looked at the article:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/wp-content/uploads/motionblur.jpg

And if you know Lightwave is 3D, why ask a 2D question on a 3D forum? Because you want to know...

Tonttu
08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
And if you know Lightwave is 3D, why ask a 2D question on a 3D forum? Because you want to know...

It is 3d, watch the video..

shrox
08-06-2010, 02:44 PM
It is 3d, watch the video..

Ok, since that picture didn't come up the first time, I didn't get the post. I rarely watch posted videos anymore, not enough time to look, work, eat, sleep, etc...and browse this forum.