PDA

View Full Version : LW10 Collada? Camera data? OSX?

sonofmickel
08-05-2010, 02:26 PM
Wishing, hoping etc...for the last 6 years for a native solution to get camera paths, lights, dof etc...into After Effects.

I have used C4D before and it was painless and actually fun.

Lightwave has given NO love in After Effects.

I am on Snow Leopard and am hoping that LW10 fixes this. I will not be upgrading but rather selling my LW 9 if this does not happen.

sonofmickel
08-06-2010, 12:54 PM
No-one knows anything about After Effects support in Lightwave 10?

Here are some quotes from the new LW10 advertising campaign

"FBX
Load and save camera data, lighting, objects with UV maps and image maps, parenting hierarchies, etc."

"COLLADA
Easy transfer of camera data, lights, object placement, image maps, etc., from one application to another"

There is no data given. That to me means it does not work. They would state what EXACT programs it works with if Data exchange actually worked.

How about the "text" tool in LW Modeler for OSX? Does it work yet? No information at all. This is vapor-ware.

Give out some info please.:beta:

bassmanjam
08-06-2010, 02:35 PM
my text tool in LW Modeler for OSX hasn't been working either. I thought I had screwed something up.

I also vote for intuitive transfer of data to and from After Effects.

sonofmickel
08-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah. I have just been crashing non stop for the last few years on the Mac side of things. Mostly with text tool, so I basically do not use LW much anymore. I was hoping they would fix these 10 year old problems. I am starting to think that the original code for text is still intact and nothing can be done with it without breaking the program. I may be looking at C4D as an alternative=huge $$$$$. It s*cks but I know that C4D has a perfect workflow for AE and the text tools just plain work.

LW10 is touting "Linear" workflow but has no data to back anything up. Yes I am a little upset:devil:

Also, I can not believe that I am using smilies:eek:

bassmanjam
08-06-2010, 03:36 PM
LW10 is touting "Linear" workflow but has no data to back anything up. Yes I am a little upset

By this, they are referring to color management, I assume, and the ability to work in a linear color space. I'm not sure if they will automatically manage gamma correction of texture images or what they have planned.

As for the text tool in OSX, it has been working in recent versions. I'm not sure what happened. Sometimes I will create and import an EPS. However, I don't do it often so I never can remember how exactly to save it out so it works. If it's blocky text, I'll make a jpg and put it in the backdrop. Either way it takes way longer than it should.

geothefaust
08-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Well for motion graphics, especially if you're using After Effects.... You can't go wrong at all with C4D. The integration between the two is simply fantastic.

JeffrySG
08-08-2010, 02:02 PM
Wishing, hoping etc...for the last 6 years for a native solution to get camera paths, lights, dof etc...into After Effects.

I have used C4D before and it was painless and actually fun.

Lightwave has given NO love in After Effects.

I am on Snow Leopard and am hoping that LW10 fixes this. I will not be upgrading but rather selling my LW 9 if this does not happen.

make sure you submit a feature request explaining exactly what you need.

send an email with all info to:
LW-Features -at- newtek -dot- com

wesleycorgi
08-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Have you tried MentalFish's plugin: http://mentalfish.com/2009/08/lw-2-ae/

I've been playing with this to try to get LW closer to AE.

dwburman
08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
The text tool works for me in LW 9.6 on Leopard. If you want more control it's probably better to do your type setting in Illustrator and import it as an eps. You have to save it as Illustrator 8 format though.

I don't have illustrator so I'll sometimes make the text/vector art in Photoshop then convert it to paths then 'Export Paths to Illustrator' then import it into modeler using the epsf importer. Unfortunately this just brings in outline so I have to put the shape in the background, make a box then use shift-R and slice the curves into the box. Then I have to delete all the polys that aren't the text/shape I want... man, I should really get Illustrator. :)

Does After Effects import FBX or Collada files? If so then it might work... if not then it won't.

I know AE does import .ma (Maya) files as that's what MentalFish's script outputs. I've used that with mixed results. You could also look up Transmotion which is a handy and affordable suite of tools for moving motion curves between various apps. Unfortunately, it's tied to the workstation you install it on and not the LW dongle so I no longer have access to it.

I've heard nothing about LW adding support for C4D-like AE integration.

bassmanjam
08-12-2010, 03:08 PM
The text tool works for me in LW 9.6 on Leopard. If you want more control it's probably better to do your type setting in Illustrator and import it as an eps. You have to save it as Illustrator 8 format though.

I don't have illustrator so I'll sometimes make the text/vector art in Photoshop then convert it to paths then 'Export Paths to Illustrator' then import it into modeler using the epsf importer. Unfortunately this just brings in outline so I have to put the shape in the background, make a box then use shift-R and slice the curves into the box. Then I have to delete all the polys that aren't the text/shape I want... man, I should really get Illustrator. :)

It just sucks when the client says, 'My wife thinks it should be in a different font,' after spending a bunch of time on it. :foreheads

Hopefully LW 10 will alleviate this type of time-waster.... text or clients' wives - if it solves either one, I'll be happy. :thumbsup: