PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #92 - Yabba Dabba Doo!

Kuzey
08-05-2010, 02:03 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #92 - Yabba Dabba Doo!
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: Yabba Dabba Doo!

Everyone has favorite cartoon shows...from the classics to current shows. Model your favorite characters, side kicks, props, buildings, vehicles...whatever you can think of. Design your own characters/props/buildings/devices...etc. to fit your favorite shows. Take a device like the iPhone/iPad and recreate them in the style of you favorite cartoon....etc...etc.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 11 August 2010, 2200 GMT

Hopper
08-05-2010, 05:32 PM
ok ... the iStone and the iSlab ... I called it! :D

Kuzey
08-06-2010, 07:08 AM
Haha....I think I'll try Rosie the robot from the Jetsons, should be fun :)

Ps...I'm hoping to get some good news from Deacon/Newtek when they return. Hopefully, we might get some copies of LW10 to give away at the end of the year. Best model, best render, runner up and an encouragement award....that should cover it...I think :D

I have my fingers crossed :hey:

Kuzey

Shnoze Shmon
08-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Everyone has favorite cartoon shows...from the classics to current shows. Model your favorite characters, side kicks, props, buildings, vehicles...whatever you can think of. Design your own characters/props/buildings/devices...etc. to fit your favorite shows. Take a device like the iPhone/iPad and recreate them in the style of you favorite cartoon....etc...etc.

The only problem with this topic is the time limit (ahem still working on the sci-fi corridor here)

Modeling my version of the saber tooth squirrel character is actually on my short list of learning and doing.

Shnoze Shmon is a WWI top ace bomber pilot and a good fighter pilot in both world wars.* (Yeah that dog doesn't have anything on the squirrel cuz the squirrel actually shot down the Red Barron.:D) A descendant of the famous Scrat, he is the unlucky Y chromosome in the family tree with stripes on his back looking a little like

X|O|X
O|X|O
O|X|O

*Red Barron 3D & IL2

Kuzey
08-06-2010, 08:11 AM
Don't worry about the time limit...you can extend it for complex models, the time limit is just there to get people with little time involved. 2 hours should be fine for complex objects...I would think.

You also do it in sections, tackle the head in one 60 minute period and then the body in another 60 minute period etc.....that would work too :D

ps......I'm looking forward to seeing it :thumbsup:

Kuzey

aurora
08-06-2010, 08:31 AM
Don't worry about the time limit...you can extend it for complex models, the time limit is just there to get people with little time involved. 2 hours should be fine for complex objects...I would think.

Kuzey

Oh sure now you tell me after all the bad practices I made to create (sorry yes it is) crap on the last challenge ;)
But give me 2 and I'll complain I need 4. Give me 4 and I'll only whine I want 8. Give me 8 and I yell damn wheres my giga-poly Core.:lol:

Nangleator
08-06-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd like to raid the ACME warehouse for this one.

Kuzey
08-06-2010, 12:58 PM
Oh sure now you tell me after all the bad practices I made to create (sorry yes it is) crap on the last challenge ;)
But give me 2 and I'll complain I need 4. Give me 4 and I'll only whine I want 8. Give me 8 and I yell damn wheres my giga-poly Core.:lol:

Isn't that always the case...hehe :D

You can always do what I do, submit a wireframe of your model at the sixty minute stage....and then complete it for the render.

I'd like to raid the ACME warehouse for this one.

Speaking of which, gotta love flickr (http://www.flickr.com/groups/hanna-barbera/) for hanna-barbera based material :hey:

Kuzey

aurora
08-06-2010, 01:15 PM
I may sit this one out. I have started redoing my UniBike from scratch and am liking it so far. Sadly I have spent more then an hour just on the wheel itself. Remember what IU said about giga-poly,:eek:

TripD
08-06-2010, 06:06 PM
heh..... could only come up with sarcasm. didn't have time to include a hint of the product in the model. So the name will have to doo. :devil:

Oh.... you said favorite cartoon! D'oh!

Myagi
08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Went over the time, I'll torture you with a render anyway :D

First ever try with toon shading and dynamics/cloth (and not really any time to actually make any serious attempt at figuring out all the stuff).

Hopper
08-06-2010, 07:29 PM
(and not really any time to actually make any serious attempt at figuring out all the stuff).

pfffft.. showoff .. :neener:

oliversimonnet
08-06-2010, 07:31 PM
nice work there fellas
well, im going to have to think up another one because "TripD" took my idea haha :)

TripD
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
@oliversimonnet I say go for it anyway. I always try to be the first, since there's no chance of being the best :D

oliversimonnet
08-07-2010, 07:13 AM
@TripD: haha thanks, but no its ok, if we have 2 it will just make one look better than the other
im sure ill think of something else :)

Kuzey
08-08-2010, 05:16 AM
Nice work guys :thumbsup:

I found this character, done years ago. It's an off model...not quite right, but I thought share the pics.

Modelling time...heck if I know..haha :hey:

Kuzey

oliversimonnet
08-08-2010, 05:31 AM
haha nice work Kuzey
looks pretty sweet :)

Kuzey
08-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Thanks Oliver :thumbsup:

I might try to finish him.....one of these days...hehe.

Kuzey

Iain
08-10-2010, 04:40 AM
Bit 70s and brit-centric but here's my attempt at Mr Ben. Out of my comfort zone so all I managed was a bust......

Kuzey
08-10-2010, 06:20 AM
Nice one Iain...looks great :thumbsup:

I'm going to extend this for one more week...just...so I can get something done. I can't miss out on a topic like this...hehe.

:D

Kuzey

aurora
08-10-2010, 08:03 AM
I'm surprised no one has used my idea of a Flintstones iBone. Simple, yet fun. I'm working on something else so someone please use it!

TripD
08-10-2010, 06:18 PM
@Iain Nice work! The first thing that popped into my head was the original Avengers, Mr. Steed. Still dig the theme song to that show as well. :thumbsup:

TripD
08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
An old project. I call it the iCrash :devil:

Etch
08-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Good ol' Planet Express Ship.

Used the whole hour and still didn't get to model the side door and ladder rungs =(

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 05:26 AM
An old project. I call it the iCrash :devil:

I wonder how long I can last before iCrash...I would give that a spin...hehe.

Good ol' Planet Express Ship.

Used the whole hour and still didn't get to model the side door and ladder rungs =(

Nice one Etch!

You can sneak in the missing parts for the final render...I would :D

Kuzey

Salv8or
08-11-2010, 07:42 AM
My wife to be mensioned a show in sweden that was on aire when we where small when i mensioned the contest that was called "disney dax" or "disney time".There whas a show on there with a character called Darkwing duck.
So this is my hour spent on that guy.
(I really enyoed that show as well as the hour spent on creating the model)

aurora
08-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I LOVE the iCrash. Wanna see that when in a nice texture/shaded render! Funky mesh on the windshield sections, sadly I don't have to ask how you created it as I have gone the same route myself and the fact it does not need animated makes it work just perfectly.

The Planet Express is one simple and very effective mesh!

DarkWing Duck Rocked! Wish you had more time, or better yet, take more time to finish him!

I'm soooooo glad I don't have to pick a winner this time round! I might have time this afternoon to do the Jetsons saucer car but will probably spend it on another project.

Kuzey
08-11-2010, 12:49 PM
Nice one Salv8or.....super :thumbsup:

I hope to see it finished...if you get the chance :hey:

Kuzey

Salv8or
08-11-2010, 01:28 PM
Thnx all.. Ill try to finish it of if I get some time over tomorow.

TripD
08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
@Salv8or coolness... like your poly flow

@Etch also very nice!... uncheck those cages for showing off though :)

@Aurora.... Oh yah... the windshield. I dabbled in spline patching me thinks.

Kuzey
08-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Zilly's flying machine from "Stop the pigeon".

64 minutes...I was hoping to do better, but there you go :hey:

Kuzey

Iain
08-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Hah-very cool Kuzey!
Instantly recognisable.

aurora
08-12-2010, 08:50 AM
Kuzey, I think you'll have William (Proton) drooling all over that model! Looks like something coming from straight from his Seuss library.

chco2
08-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Sorry for the "simple" entry. Just didn't have much time and always wanted to create this one :)
Took about 20mins total

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/transformers_logo.png

and the wire:

http://files.designburo.nl/lightwave/newtek_forum/transformers_logo_wire.png

Etch
08-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

@TripD: Ah! That's the check box that gets rid of them.

Also here are two renders of the final ship after revising some stuff. One "normal" one toon and both have a little post work done.

Salv8or
08-13-2010, 02:00 AM
Etch: Futurama rocks. Im happy they desided to continue making the show. Perhaps a bender is inplace, eh?
I love the toon shaded version.

Chco2: Why didnt i think of transformers. 1 hour bumbelbee..... Neeh, maby not. =)

Kuzey
08-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Cool stuff guys :thumbsup:

I had a crack at the Flintstones record player...just over an hour.

I tried a different technique, but I'm not sure why I didn't do the head at the same time and in the same way :)

Kuzey

PixelDust
08-15-2010, 05:08 PM
I decided to model Danger Mouse (one of my favorites). Here's what I got done in 60 minutes. Didn't have time to model the hands or do textures, but I'll do that later.

Kuzey
08-16-2010, 12:57 PM
Nice one PixelDust, looking good :thumbsup:

Kuzey

PixelDust
08-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Thanks, Kuzey!

Here's the final version. It took another 3 hours to finish modeling and texturing.

Good work on the entries on this contest, especially the plane and the Flintstones' car.

Kuzey
08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
Ooooh...nice to see Danger Mouse finished :thumbsup:

Still a little time to sneak one in, I'll pick the winner and start the next challenge tomorrow :D

Kuzey

Hopper
08-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Sorry for taking the iStone and iSlab idea, then abandoning it... my only day off this week was revoked... stupid broken servers. :(

Kuzey
08-19-2010, 08:01 AM
No problem....stuff happens...there's always the next challenge :D

Kuzey

XswampyX
08-19-2010, 10:47 AM
1st post, Here's my entry.... Hope you like it. I'm trying to learn all this. So any criticism is most welcome.

1hr

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_Kenny1Hr.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/?action=view&current=Kenny1Hr.jpg)

Finished .... erm, I won't tell how long.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_KennyFinal.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/?action=view&current=KennyFinal.jpg)

Render.

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/th_Kenny4Comp.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/?action=view&current=Kenny4Comp.jpg)

Kuzey
08-19-2010, 04:14 PM
XswampyX....great stuff, and jumping straight in as well...super :thumbsup:

The first thing that's noticeable is all the blockiness, but you'll get better as you go along. It's important to prepare the area you want to extrude first. Otherwise....it would be too time consuming to try to edit afterwards.

See attached image for the basic idea. I selected four points and using a flat cylinder as a guide....I roughly stretched them to match. You can manually move them one at a time as well.

Hope that gets you started :)

Kuzey

jrandom
08-19-2010, 05:26 PM
...See attached image for the basic idea. I selected four points and using a flat cylinder as a guide....I roughly stretched them to match. You can manually move them one at a time as well.

Oh hey. Useful!

Any uh... any news on making any tutorials for us lesser folk?

Kuzey
08-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Great work everyone :thumbsup:

It was a toss up between Salv8or and Etch...but Darkwing duck wins by a beak...will done everyone :thumbsup:

Kuzey

Kuzey
08-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Oh hey. Useful!

Any uh... any news on making any tutorials for us lesser folk?

I'm working on :D

Hopefully, I'll get the first tutorial up on my blog in about a week, and I plan to do a new tutorial each week. Hopefully, during that time...I can get that spider chair video all sorted out, I still haven't touched that yet...sorry about that.

ps...I might just end up uploading that video as is....without the commentary and respond to questions instead. Mmm...that might work too.

Kuzey

aurora
08-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Congrats Salv8or! Darkwing was my fav too!

Looking forward to the next one, H.G. Wells!

Salv8or
08-31-2010, 01:20 PM
Thank you guys.. Have not been around to much the latest time, so I had no idea a was the honorable winner of the last contest. Ill do my very best to come up with a good topic for tomorow.
Thanx again for the honors.

Cheers!