PDA

View Full Version : Modifying multiple object's properties

stabbington
08-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Hey gang! Long time lurker, first time poster ;)

I'm trying to find a solution to a little problem I have -

If I have, say, 300+ identical objects in a scene, all with imported baked animation applied, and I wanted to change properties on ALL of these objects at once, how would you go about making such changes?

I need to apply a Normal Displacement modifier and switch each object's subdivision amounts to 10. If I select all the items in the viewport or scene editor and open the Object properties panel, it will only allow me to modify what LW thinks is the current object. I can change the subdivision amount on multiple items via scene editor, but not perform anything as in depth as adding or modifying a displacement plugin.

As displacements are saved per scene, rather than per object, and there is no replace item from scene, I can't work out how to perform multi-edit changes such as this.

Trying to find a solution to it via opening the .lws file in notepad yields nothing either, due to the way lw stores that particular data.

If anyone can point out my obvious error or knows any hacks, or scripts, or anything that can help, it'd be greatly appreciated!

nickdigital
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
You could modify a setting then copy that across your objects. But that would be insanely tedious.

Do you really need 300 individual objects? Can you put all those into one object and from there control your displacement via weight maps.

stabbington
08-06-2010, 04:09 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply!

Although I'm importing some fairly straightforward hard body dynamics stuff, it's nothing I can treat as a single object in the exporting program, otherwise I'd try and find some way of dealing with it using mdd/pc2. At the moment each individual component needs a unique pivot point for the baked animation.

I'm getting around it so far by taking the insanely tedious approach but I think some power above is mocking me, as the client just came back asking for four times the amount of objects. :dance:

Yay.

Thanks again, though!

Matt
08-06-2010, 05:01 AM
I'm afraid it's one of those legacy things where many operations were not multi-edit aware, many of these were corrected, but not what you're doing unfortunately.

I'm pretty sure it would be easy to knock up a script to do this though, and for other areas that aren't multi-edit aware.

Ideally these annoyances will be fixed at some point.

Lewis
08-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Bad news is that you'll probably do it manually (tedious) until this becomes fixed/someone make script :). I feel your pain, i had some scenes where i had to add clip maps to 100+ objects (trees) manually one by one because Clip maps are not saved in object but in scene :(.

Danner
08-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Bad news is that you'll probably do it manually (tedious) until this becomes fixed/someone make script :). I feel your pain, i had some scenes where i had to add clip maps to 100+ objects (trees) manually one by one because Clip maps are not saved in object but in scene :(.

Doesn't -load object fron scene- work with clip maps? I guess it wouln't help if you cloned your trees before applying the clip map.

Lewis
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Doesn't -load object fron scene- work with clip maps? I guess it wouln't help if you cloned your trees before applying the clip map.

There is nothing to load (scene wise) when you need to make it first time :D.

xchrisx
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
Just thinking aloud here but is it something that you could take 1 object (with all the displacements and render settings), clone it X amount of times and reapply motion back ontop of it? If thats the case then a script could probably do it pretty easily.

stabbington
08-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies!

I ended up taking the long way round; easier to just spend 30 minutes seeing if I could break any speed records for repeated mouse click operations.

It's great to know that I didn't miss anything, though - and that it's just one of those quirky legacy issues.

xchrisx - I think this is definitely the approach to try for next time, thank you so much! At the time, the imported fbx objects all having wackily oriented pivots and being parented to the fbx exporters coordinate system correction nulls, made me think that I'd not be able to force the correct sequence of .mot files to be applied to entirely new objects without everything flying off at random angles.

Now that my head's less tired, excluding the coord correction nulls from the equation entirely, running a 'load mot files' script and just flipping them all en masse if there was any coordinate system weirdness sounds reasonable enough :D

Worth a go, at least.

Thanks again everybody; the forum's reputation for superhelpfulness is well deserved!

:beerchug: