PDA

View Full Version : Free Rig-Adam Update

The Scientist
08-04-2010, 05:57 PM
I know it's been a little while since the first post of the Adam Rig but I've been able to update the previous version to be a more powerful and solid rig over that time, so here it is...

The Adam Rig Update (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751SERfV40M).

There's a video walkthrough along with the post so that you get in and get your hands dirty right away.

I've included the rigs in the attachment below so download them and start animating.

I've also gone ahead and thrown in a second rigged character to just help out even more, you'll see it in the attachments after download.

Have fun with the new rig and feel free to give me your feedback on it, as well as any rigging questions you may have about these rigs or your own characters.

-Kurt Smith-The Scientist (http://newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=97699)

stevecullum
08-04-2010, 06:04 PM
Thanks! Will take a look at this tomorrow. :)

H_Molla
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Very nice..ohh really..o had to study it very deep man...
Keep the good rig :-)

Soth
08-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Great rig, but I wonder have you removed FK for arms?

The Scientist
08-05-2010, 06:20 AM
Great rig, but I wonder have you removed FK for arms?

Yeah, this version is full IK.

Larry_g1s
08-05-2010, 08:25 AM
Awesome. Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for sharing.

Soth
08-05-2010, 08:27 AM
one more thing, i think eve model is missing from zip...

The Scientist
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
one more thing, i think eve model is missing from zip...

Eve's in there. "Eve_v001.lwo"

safetyman
08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks so much for this! Very cool rig.

Soth
08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Eve's in there. "Eve_v001.lwo"
thx, i shouldnt trust windows when unpacking, will stick to 7zip from now, great rigs, it a bit shame that there is no fk but there are very nice freebies anyway

thx a lot!

Wopmay
08-05-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeow! Thank you. Maybe with this i will finally be able to learn rigging. It looks fantastic. Just the thing I've been looking for to get me over the hump.

MaDDoX
08-05-2010, 06:43 PM
Absolutely outstanding job, The Scientist! :thumbsup:

How would you (or someone else who use both) compare it to the best Maya rigs? I'm curious 'coz I've made the shift and after a whole year working with Maya, although I recognize that it's definitely a more powerful package, its quirks and idiosyncrasies just hurt my productivity way more than the Lightwave quirks and crashes ever could. If it wasn't for its great integration with Mobu I wouldn't stick to it, Cinema4D it's so much better in every other sense. For custom rigs even Lightwave is a gentler approach I'd say. What d'ya think?

Drocket
08-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Thanks very much Kurt, this is very helpful as I am starting to learn rigging :)

GraphXs
08-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice work! Will give it a try. Thanks!

The Scientist
08-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Absolutely outstanding job, The Scientist! :thumbsup:

How would you (or someone else who use both) compare it to the best Maya rigs? I'm curious 'coz I've made the shift and after a whole year working with Maya, although I recognize that it's definitely a more powerful package, its quirks and idiosyncrasies just hurt my productivity way more than the Lightwave quirks and crashes ever could. If it wasn't for its great integration with Mobu I wouldn't stick to it, Cinema4D it's so much better in every other sense. For custom rigs even Lightwave is a gentler approach I'd say. What d'ya think?

I can't really compare them. I have yet to work with Maya. For me its always been LightWave and Motion Builder.

I am curious for the answer myself, I'd like to hear an opinion from a LW/Maya user as well.

erikals
08-06-2010, 07:14 AM
cool, will have a closer look at this!

thanks! http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/smile.gif

ericsmith
08-06-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a question... Is the cyclic dependency error normal? The fact that the message keeps appearing in the status bar makes playback virtually useless, even at subD level 0.

Eric

A Mejias
08-06-2010, 08:27 PM
Cool! Thanks! :d

Titus
08-06-2010, 11:10 PM
I can't really compare them. I have yet to work with Maya. For me its always been LightWave and Motion Builder.

I am curious for the answer myself, I'd like to hear an opinion from a LW/Maya user as well.

Judging the video, your rig is very similar to those created by animationrigs.com. Animationmentor.com rigs come from that site.

RebelHill
08-07-2010, 07:35 AM
I have a question... Is the cyclic dependency error normal? The fact that the message keeps appearing in the status bar makes playback virtually useless, even at subD level 0.

Eric

Ive heard this in the past from some folks when Ive had CDE on some rigs. Though when ive cleaned them and had no errors, had no change in performance. Is it possible that some people on some systems are experiencing slowdown due to CDE, and others not? Or is it more likely that some are experiencing slowdown all the time but others only when CDE is present?

Id cetainly be interested in investigating mroe about it.

Id have thought that having a CDE shouldnt slow things down at all... cos the fact that it jsut pops up leads me to believe that the cyclic check is always running. Interactive performance has gotten slower in 9.6, and Ive wondered if maybe this could be one of the culprits. In maya, you just punch the cyc check command whilst rigging to check for errors... maybe it'd be good to do it this way in LW... or at least have an on/off toggle in options for it.

evenflcw
08-07-2010, 07:54 AM
I think a command for checking CD errors would be alot smarter (good suggestion RH). Especially seeing as often the supposed CD causes no problems. I'm not even sure some CDEs LW detect are CDs. Given LWs linear and prearranged order of evaluation, I'm not even convinced LW can have CDs! Because of the linear architecture it simply can't take that extra step to complete the cycle. So there is no chance for a CD. I think maybe CDE was implemented as preparation for a slightly more modern motion architecture which would ultimately try to shuffle about the order of evaluation, even lengthen it, to attempt to solve some CDEs, if it couldn't it would issue the error. I've seen little change in the flexibility of the motion architecture, so until it works right, CDEs shouldn't be shoved in our faces. Sorry, for the highjack.

Thanks for doing and giving away the rig. The rig looks and moves well, but I also found it a tad too slow. I could maybe work with it and it's still interesting to pick apart. And the models themselves are quite nice.

evenflcw
08-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Meah... I take back the slow comment. It's fine. Looking better and better. Thanks! The CDE is annoying though.

RebelHill
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
I say...

I just popped it open to take a look at this whole speed thing, I gotta say its pretty slow for me. The screen grab shows my rerig of the adam character (which is a great character design btw) on the left, and its a good deal quicker, but also with no CDEs.

www.rebelhill.net/downloads/RH_Adam.zip

Im gonna dig around these rigs and see if I cant find out where things are making problems, and see what speed advantages can be gained.

Though, to jack again, what you say about CDs in LW isnt really true now. There were some updates to the way LW "sees" stuff, cos the behaviour of some tools changed in 9.6... but also, stuff got added in at the point of IK evaluation, like same as item... which gives a constraint that works along side IK without a linear evaluation of one first.

SO if u set an arm (wrist) to IK goal to a null, you cant then use sai to "autosnap" the IK goal to the wrist while in FK mode. LW wont see the fact that you blend the two off against each other, just that each of 2 things have their positions dependent on the position of the other thing.

Where the CDC falls down is where you have two items targeting each other for instance, in this case each things rotation is dependent upon the position of the other, so there's no conflict, and it works fine, but LW still throws up the error, as it jsut sees 2 things each pulling values from the other vis the IK/target/sai/pole exchange/solver.

One of the great things Ive found is that the linear architecture is still there, so you can exploit that too by using different tools in different places, expressions, follower, and point/orient constraint. LW may not have stakable/reorderable evaluations for things, but now it has different constraint tools, working at different levels (some switchable via afterIK checkbox), it really does give you a lot of leverage in getting things to work together, and evaluate properly without running into dependency errors so much.

But the CDC system i reckon needs a rethink or overhaul... but that whole buncha new stuff that is so good in 9.6 could take a good dusting through. Im sure that now it's implemented, and works well, there's gotta be room for some optimisation, and improvements.

Especially for LW10

The Scientist
08-08-2010, 08:09 AM
I say...

I just popped it open to take a look at this whole speed thing, I gotta say its pretty slow for me. The screen grab shows my rerig of the adam character (which is a great character design btw) on the left, and its a good deal quicker, but also with no CDEs.

www.rebelhill.net/downloads/RH_Adam.zip

Im gonna dig around these rigs and see if I cant find out where things are making problems, and see what speed advantages can be gained.

Though, to jack again, what you say about CDs in LW isnt really true now. There were some updates to the way LW "sees" stuff, cos the behaviour of some tools changed in 9.6... but also, stuff got added in at the point of IK evaluation, like same as item... which gives a constraint that works along side IK without a linear evaluation of one first.

SO if u set an arm (wrist) to IK goal to a null, you cant then use sai to "autosnap" the IK goal to the wrist while in FK mode. LW wont see the fact that you blend the two off against each other, just that each of 2 things have their positions dependent on the position of the other thing.

Where the CDC falls down is where you have two items targeting each other for instance, in this case each things rotation is dependent upon the position of the other, so there's no conflict, and it works fine, but LW still throws up the error, as it jsut sees 2 things each pulling values from the other vis the IK/target/sai/pole exchange/solver.

One of the great things Ive found is that the linear architecture is still there, so you can exploit that too by using different tools in different places, expressions, follower, and point/orient constraint. LW may not have stakable/reorderable evaluations for things, but now it has different constraint tools, working at different levels (some switchable via afterIK checkbox), it really does give you a lot of leverage in getting things to work together, and evaluate properly without running into dependency errors so much.

But the CDC system i reckon needs a rethink or overhaul... but that whole buncha new stuff that is so good in 9.6 could take a good dusting through. Im sure that now it's implemented, and works well, there's gotta be room for some optimisation, and improvements.

Especially for LW10

Cool, thanks for the info.

I'm going to dig through your version and learn how I can get better rigs in the future.

daforum
08-27-2010, 04:09 PM
Many thanks for the rigs :)

jeremyhughes77
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM
Good stuff guys. Thanks a ton for sharing!

Roadwarrior
08-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Thanks kind sir!

Eroneouse
09-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Just adding to the thank you very much's so...

Thank you very much :D I am sure I will learn more about rigging and CA from this.

pmwhite
09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I know it's been a little while since the first post of the Adam Rig but I've been able to update the previous version to be a more powerful and solid rig over that time, so here it is...

The Adam Rig Update (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=751SERfV40M).

There's a video walkthrough along with the post so that you get in and get your hands dirty right away.

I've included the rigs in the attachment below so download them and start animating.

I've also gone ahead and thrown in a second rigged character to just help out even more, you'll see it in the attachments after download.

Have fun with the new rig and feel free to give me your feedback on it, as well as any rigging questions you may have about these rigs or your own characters.

-Kurt Smith-The Scientist (http://newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=97699)

Thank you, Really good Rig!:thumbsup:

lreyes
09-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Kurt, appreciate what you've done to help us, but I was wondering if you could tell me how to put that rig in lightwave, is this a plug-in? I am not that versed on animation, but like it a lot.

Do I just bring in your files into layout and start animation or can I create my own model and use your rig?

The Scientist
09-17-2010, 11:56 AM
Kurt, appreciate what you've done to help us, but I was wondering if you could tell me how to put that rig in lightwave, is this a plug-in? I am not that versed on animation, but like it a lot.

Do I just bring in your files into layout and start animation or can I create my own model and use your rig?

There's no plugin, all you have to do is load the Layout scene.

I'd recommend sticking with the model already in the rig, you can use your own model but you'd have to make sure it lined up with bones and that your weight maps are named in correspondence with what the bones are set to pick up (to make it easier than just rerigging it from scratch). This is not made to be an auto rigger but feel free to tear it apart and find useful tips to add to your own rigs.

Hope that helps,
Kurt Smith-The Scientist

yemi_aa87
09-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Very good rig

Pls i want to ask if you can do a full dvd tutorial on how you rig your character, its gonna be a very useful and helpful resources for lightwave users

evolross
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
What would make my day and really teach me a lot about animation, would be if someone would take the Adam scene and animate him doing a proper walk cycle with this rig and post it back up here. Maybe some other actions too.

That way we could learn about the rig and a little about how to animate with it.

Great job.

Larry_g1s
10-07-2010, 10:35 AM
What would make my day and really teach me a lot about animation, would be if someone would take the Adam scene and animate him doing a proper walk cycle with this rig and post it back up here. Maybe some other actions too.

That way we could learn about the rig and a little about how to animate with it.

Great job.I'll be starting my next assignment next week at iAnimate.net, if I can get enough time to check out the rig. I'd consider doing an animation with it in LW. :thumbsup:

zapper1998
10-10-2010, 04:55 PM
your rig is aweome

Time to learn... ya

flakester
10-17-2010, 10:08 AM
Many, many thanks for sharing.

I've downloaded the zip and will dig in when I get some time!
Cheers,

flakester

edsegar
10-30-2010, 12:29 AM
Kurt,
I'm totally new to rigging, and blown away by your example, thanks for the opportunity to learn from your rig.

The Scientist
10-30-2010, 08:59 AM
Kurt,
I'm totally new to rigging, and blown away by your example, thanks for the opportunity to learn from your rig.

You're welcome. If you have any questions about rigging, feel free to let me know. I'll do what I can to help out.

Julez4001
03-31-2012, 12:12 PM
To "The Scientist"

How much do you charge to rig a standard human "non-toony" model?

evolross
03-31-2012, 01:12 PM

Great job.
No takers on the walk cycle and/or other animation? Again, I love that there's a few rigs out there now to learn from, but I definitely still need some help with actual animation. Would love a LWS scene to see as an example.

RebelHill
03-31-2012, 03:06 PM
No takers on the walk cycle and/or other animation? Again, I love that there's a few rigs out there now to learn from, but I definitely still need some help with actual animation. Would love a LWS scene to see as an example.

You can get some insights into working with mine here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SRF4B80dG0

(additional usage topics in the playlist)