PDA

View Full Version : Dem Bones

Richard Hebert
08-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Hi Everyone,

I'm adjusting the rest length of a bone to a specific value. Once I do this I want to move the connected child bone to snap to the tip of the parent again to keep that chain in tact. Can I move a bone's base to snap to the tip of another bone? Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Richard

nickdigital
08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
I think there's a tool that lets you adjust the tip of the parent while keeping the child attached too but I don't know if it'll let you do it to a specific value. It might be more for interactivity. It sounds like you're doing something more specific.

The rest length of the parent is the same as the z value of the child. So if your parent's rest length is .5 meters your child bone would be .5 meters in Z. Basically the child bone's xyz value is it's position away from the base of the parent.

h2oStudios
08-04-2010, 12:37 AM
Here's one way -

http://thetwistedmind.yolasite.com/resources/RestLength-Base_to_Tip.avi

Richard Hebert
08-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll add these to the arsenal. Do any of you have experience using BVH files? I'm importing BVH data and then removing the motion file per Larry's tutorial. The problem arises when the BVH rig is 3 times the size of my character (which is about 5' 8" in Lightwave). Larry mentions adjusting the rig to fit the character but the rig has these gimbal bones that make moving joints with the 'joint move' tool a nightmare and near impossible to do. Do you guys use this technique and if so how do you manage these joints?

Richard