PDA

View Full Version : question about reflections...

patrick99e99
08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Hi,

Ok-- so I have some black text, which is a flat surface... What are a few of the ways that I can make this text look highly glossy/reflective? I understand this is easier to accomplish if the text has a rounded surface, but in this case it can't.. So I am wondering if there are any tricks that I can use to accomplish this?

Thanks!

-patrick

ingo
08-03-2010, 01:10 PM
You need something contrasty to reflect, best is some white (maybe luminous) paneels like they do it in car renderings.

patrick99e99
08-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Could you possibly explain a bit more what you mean? Could you break down the process step by step? Like where would I put something, what would it be that would be white? How would I get only that text to reflect that white object? Meaning, I don't want any other surfaces to be affected, just the black text.

Thanks!

-patrick

zardoz
08-03-2010, 07:14 PM
you should add some bevel to the text, and then some environment
the trick about reflective surfaces is always the environment. like ingo said some white luminous panels, and depending on the background colour some black panels too. or try an hdr and see what you can get. try placing the panels in a way to give volume to your objects. Also, besides rectangular panels you can try some with a shape like a 'S' that gives cool reflections too

jasonwestmas
08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Just put the text in an inverted sphere (Check Unseen by Camera for the Sphere, Leave Unseen by rays unchecked) with a contrasty image applied to the sphere.(Use Spherical mapping for the image. Shrinking or Enlarging the scale of the sphere lets you control the brightness of the reflectivity too). For the sphere, put luminosity on 100% and Diffuse to 0%. Turn on Raytrace Reflections in Global Rendering. Crank your spec up, turn gloss down a little. You'll get something really reflective and shiny that way, especially if you use Radiosity with this.

biliousfrog
08-04-2010, 01:24 AM
Just to add to what has already been said, adding a very subtle bump to the surface will help sell the image, much like adding a bump to glass to add some irregularity and prevent it from looking perfectly flat. Use a simple fractal noise with a large-ish setting (1m is usually fine) and reduce the opacity to 5-15%.