PDA

View Full Version : advice for how to accomplish something

patrick99e99
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone,

I have some 3D text on a surfaced plane, and in front of it is a knife. I would like an effect to make the blade of the knife shine, from left to right, in sort of a diagonal band shape-- but not have this affect the text, handle of the knife, or the surfaced plane.

I am wondering if anyone here has some advice as to how I can accomplish this to get a very realistic shine effect... ?

Thank you!

-patrick

nickdigital
08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
You could animate this fx in comp.

You could add a light where it's been excluded from all the objects that you don't want animated.

I've seen people suggest adding a luminous poly that the blade is reflecting. From there you animate this light poly across the blade.

SplineGod
08-03-2010, 12:07 AM
You could also use a light set to effect spec only. Also take a look at the bloom and corona plugins.

biliousfrog
08-03-2010, 06:36 AM
I'd go for a luminous poly personally as it will actually reflect in the blade where-as a light will just affect the specular...or a combo of both.

LW_Will
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
I thought we covered this? ;-)

all things covered above are correct...

patrick99e99
08-03-2010, 12:08 PM
I've seen people suggest adding a luminous poly that the blade is reflecting. From there you animate this light poly across the blade.

I tried this, but the problem is the knife is on a plane that is highly reflective, and when this luminous poly was applied, I could see a beam of light in the reflection... Is there a way around this problem?

-patrick

Dexter2999
08-03-2010, 10:59 PM
apply the image of the luminous poly in the reflection panel of the blade

or render it out as a separate pass and composite the knife with the desired reflection back ontop of the reflective background afterwards