PDA

View Full Version : Building 3D sets in 3d Studio Max possible?

GGray
08-02-2010, 11:54 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to build sets in max and then use them in a Tri Caster Pro? If it is possible how? Looking for some direction as I am not a Lightwave user.

Thanks in advance!!

G

joseburgos
08-02-2010, 06:06 PM
The LiveSet for the SD TriCaster line needs to be created in Lightwave. You can model in MAX but you then need to export the models to LW for the LiveSet compiling portion via the LW LiveSet plug-in.

shrox
08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm wondering if it's possible to build sets in max and then use them in a Tri Caster Pro? If it is possible how? Looking for some direction as I am not a Lightwave user.

Thanks in advance!!

G

Heresy!

Lightwave models will work right away with LiveSet, other formats will require conversion. One way is to save the Max file as a 3ds file, then bring it into Lightwave and save as an .lwo, there while probably be some scaling issue, so make a box one foot, meter etc for scale.

joseburgos
08-03-2010, 09:08 AM
Heresy!

Lightwave models will work right away with LiveSet, other formats will require conversion. One way is to save the Max file as a 3ds file, then bring it into Lightwave and save as an .lwo, there while probably be some scaling issue, so make a box one foot, meter etc for scale.

I took "I am not a lightwave user" as I don't own LW.

As for geometry, Shrox is correct but if you want to design the whole set in MAX and just compile in LW as a LiveSet, there is more to it. Safe to say, besides baking the textures and lights in MAX, you still will need to "TOUCH" lightwave for the LiveSet surface. Note the LiveSet surface is only available to map to geometry via projection mapping and not UV mapping and depending on how the objects export, MAX's Z plane is LW's Y plane. This only comes into play when doing projection mapping in LW.

Good luck,

shrox
08-03-2010, 11:01 AM
I took "I am not a lightwave user" as I don't own LW.

As for geometry, Shrox is correct but if you want to design the whole set in MAX and just compile in LW as a LiveSet, there is more to it. Safe to say, besides baking the textures and lights in MAX, you still will need to "TOUCH" lightwave for the LiveSet surface. Note the LiveSet surface is only available to map to geometry via projection mapping and not UV mapping and depending on how the objects export, MAX's Z plane is LW's Y plane. This only comes into play when doing projection mapping in LW.

Good luck,

Yes, an important detail and critical detail!

GGray
08-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Would it be possible to render an image out as a PNG with Alpha channels for TV monitors and bring that into the Tri Caster?

Thanks for the info above!

G

joseburgos
08-03-2010, 01:24 PM
To be used as an Overlay? Then yes but if you want the PNG to be made into a LiveSet, then you need Aura or LightWave.