PDA

View Full Version : Textures going mental when rendered

raw-m
08-02-2010, 08:20 AM
Hello all,

I'm having a rotten time with a rendering. I have an object with a few nodes for the texture channels. Nothing complicated, a HeteroTerrain, Crust, couple of gradients on the bump, colour.... - quite small in detail though. Trouble is when I render out a sequence it looks as though it's dancing on ice! Everything has a horrible ripple about it, like one texture is passing over another at a different speed. There are no envelopes on any of the channels.

Anyone else had this and found a solution? I'm trying different camera settings but not having much luck.

nickdigital
08-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Hello all,

I'm having a rotten time with a rendering. I have an object with a few nodes for the texture channels. Nothing complicated, a HeteroTerrain, Crust, couple of gradients on the bump, colour.... - quite small in detail though. Trouble is when I render out a sequence it looks as though it's dancing on ice! Everything has a horrible ripple about it, like one texture is passing over another at a different speed. There are no envelopes on any of the channels.

Anyone else had this and found a solution? I'm trying different camera settings but not having much luck.

Does it render fine locally?

Is your farm made up of drastically different cpu types? There might be some differences in how the procedural is being generated on each box.

raw-m
08-02-2010, 08:56 AM
No farm, 1 machine, 8 "cores" on my mac. I've rendered a seq with no movement and everything is fine. It's looking like I might have to back-down my bump map texture a bit as it seems to be the main culprit (just when I got it how I wanted it. Poo!).

nickdigital
08-02-2010, 09:03 AM
Ah, at least you found the problem. Not sure baking would help. Sounds like your bump is causing jittering. I suppose you could try rendering 2x rez and then scale down.

If there's a camera move you could put a gradient on the bump so as you're further away it's toned down.

raw-m
08-02-2010, 10:35 AM
Thanks for you help, like the tip :)