PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.6 and up able to run with Ati Firepro 8700 ?

madno
08-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Is anybody able to run LW 9.6 (Modeler) or newer with an ATI FirePro 8700 under Windows7 64 Bit?

I ask this because I was not able to get it stable.
I tried all versions of LW incl. the HC builds from 2013 to 2015 and all ATI FirePro drivers (from 8.6xx to the latest beta from July).
In all cases modeler freezes if i load a high poly obj and do something with it (e.g. select parts with statistics panel and then delete the selected polys. after doing this two or three times, modeler freezes).

I replaced the Firepro with a new gaming card (ATI 5830). With this one it does not happen.

Can somebody with a FirePro 8700 and Win7 64 bit be so kind as to try this out? Right now I can't judge whether something is wrong with my PC / OS / Driver combo or the Firepro is just not suitable at all.

One example on how to reproduce the freeze:

make a box 1m x 1m x 1m (min. 22 segments each)
strg c / strg v -> second layer foreground
go to first layer
delete box there
shift click on second layer to bring it into background
=> freeze of modeler on my machine

It does not happen if the box has less than 22 segments.

EDIT: Just remembered that the freeze also happens if switching to subdevision mode /EDIT

It seems to me it has something to do with the number of polygons. As long as there are only a few of them modeler also works with the FirePro.

I posted a similar thread in the HC forum but it is not related to HC as I found out during the weekend, so I hope it is ok to post it here again.

Thanks a lot.