3.by clicking in the view select:
a)camera
b)light
a,b,a,b,ababababababababababababababababababababa

then try to do same with mouse

How it goes? Please do that, I am having massive issues here... :(

Matt
08-01-2010, 05:46 AM
You've selected Tablet input in the Options right?

Soth
08-01-2010, 05:58 AM
You've selected Tablet input in the Options right?
I even changed to mouse in moment of doubt. :)

We are having issues here on two win7 64 and on win xp 32 seems to be the same, but i need more ppl to confirm cos i need it fixed asap :)

zarti
08-01-2010, 08:22 AM
Hi,
Can someone with tablet do this for me.
1.open layout
2.go to perspective, zoom out a bit if needed to see both camera and light
3.by clicking in the view select:
a)camera
b)light
a,b,a,b,ababababababababababababababababababababa

then try to do same with mouse

How it goes? Please do that, I am having massive issues here... :(

just tested it

( LW 96 , Xp32/SP3 , wacom Intuos4M , driver 6.1.5-3 )

everything goes ' as it should ' .

what is happening there ?

Soth
08-01-2010, 08:26 AM
selection does not work here so well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yWgjaF05K0

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 01:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/13805674

ps - I'm using a wacom graphire 3 (pretty old) :D.

Soth
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM
http://vimeo.com/13805674
Cheers, well second approach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqZAKTojx_8

EDIT: Mouse works just fine (BTW it is Wacom mouse)

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I can't seem to figure out what's wrong on your end. I've been using LW for a little over 7 years, and using a mouse just seems waaay faster, imo. Why exactly is it imperative for you to use a tablet anyway? My tablet only finds itself as a part of my workflow when sculpting and painting, and honestly ( once again, imo ) having to use a tablet-only in Layout would be a nightmare for me, lol...

I hope you find a solution to this, but saying that "operating with a mouse makes LW unusable" is a bit... um.. BS, lol...

Cheers

Soth
08-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Why exactly is it imperative for you to use a tablet anyway?

I hope you find a solution to this, but saying that "operating with a mouse makes LW unusable" is a bit... um.. BS, lol...
Not in my case, I am very unfortunate person with pretty bad RSI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury) so I can use only tablet and if mouse I have to pretend I am lefty and even after couple years of practice I am still much worse that I would be with right one. :(

...and my wife is animating on big telly sitting on gaming chair and not using anything but tablet. :)

EDIT: I just re-read your post, 'much faster'? I cannot really think if there is any difference. If you are using 7 button mouse, then maybe a bit faster, but I fail to see how there can be any significant difference in either way. :)

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh sh*t, sorry to hear that.:( Dude, I am truly sorry, I didn't think of that. In terms of the mouse being "faster" it's really a personal thing (I seem to navigate more precisely, having the scroll for toggling rotate, move, scale, etc., and of course clicking probability in terms of selection), but since that's out of the question then we have to find a solution to this dilemma... Hmm... Now I'm really interested in this problem... I'll do some more research into the matter, because I have a feeling I might know whats going on ( i hope )... brb. :)

edit: I didn't hear the part about your wrist in the beginning, your accent is very heavy ;).

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 06:15 PM
I HAVE THE SOLUTION,, lol

Cursor motion, lol. That's it, nothing more than the fact that your cursor is in motion when you try to click on something, lol. wow, that was a mind f**k, hahaha

http://vimeo.com/13811389

Soth
08-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Oh sh*t, sorry to hear that.:( Dude, I am truly sorry, I didn't think of that.
No worries, it is not like my hand will fall off, but it gets really painful for days even after couple hours of using a mouse.

edit: I didn't hear the part about your wrist in the beginning, your accent is very heavy ;).
hvt heard me when im drunk :D

thx for the video, VIMEO is still processing it... :)

BTW Intuos4 have 8 buttons with LEDs and multifunctional wheel, so it is not too bad (and the reason that my wife is OK not using keyboard at all).

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 06:58 PM
lol, you did sound drunk lol... Intuos 4 is nice, but I hear that the pen nibs wear down pretty fast...

So, it's amazing that the problem was only that the cursor is moving while you try clicking huh? Have you tried now?

ps - when I get some good cash, I'm going for a Cyntiq, fu*k the bullsh*t, lol.

Soth
08-01-2010, 07:02 PM
look like you got it right :)

I have altered my setting in the tablet and I am trying to be more caring when clicking and looks like I am getting it right on 95% of the occasions!

Thx a lot!

BTW I have watched many tutorials about rigging today, IKB looks like way to go anyway. :)

Soth
08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
lol, you did sound drunk lol... Intuos 4 is nice, but I hear that the pen nibs wear down pretty fast...
:D

The trick is to sell your old Intuos 3 but keep spare nibs, looks like those are are much better quality. :)

Actually I feel little bit bad about that I was not able to work it out by myself. But I had similar problem in Messiah, where after selection item was 'jumping' half the screen in random direction, and it was problem with drivers, screen set-up and Messiah, I just thought it will be same here. :)

But is not, that is great news! :jam:

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 07:07 PM
IKB, huh? Personally, I would go with more reliable, IMO, (RHR-Style Stuff) Rigging techniques, but throwing IKB into the mix only as a Selection helper for Control Nulls... Like I said before, I might do a little video on that if time permits. How quickly do you need to get rigging?

edit: Also, I think RebeHill might be releasing the first version of his new CS tool veerrry sooon, but that's just a guess ;)

Soth
08-01-2010, 07:22 PM
Well I have seen http://newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105111 and some old Larrys tutorials, then I talk to Larry and looks like IKB is good enough, for now I am quite sure ill use it for a spine and control nulls, possibly fingers too.

This rigging thing does not look so scary, I should be able to rig some simple character Monday - Tuesday :)

There is not crazy rush, I would like to rig this guy (http://www.grahamworld.com/amupload/stewieControls.JPG) within next week or two and then be able to do 'a proper rig' (http://i.ytimg.com/vi/G9fQpTPY8d0/0.jpg) within a month.

I am good at LightWave - using it for many years and teaching for 4-5, so I might be able to do it... if I will not get disturbed with other things. :)

What do you think?

h2oStudios
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
well, it all depends. is it for personal stuff, or a job? in my opinion ikb seems a bit esoteric and a little less than straight for full on reliable CA rigs... but the choice is really up to you. Either way, I'd like to see your results. Keep us posted, maybe start a thread in the CA section.

glad i could help

Cheers!!

Soth
08-01-2010, 07:51 PM
The idea is to do animation mentor assignments that one would be able to put in company demo reel, firstly cos I heard that it is against Autodesk policy to use renders from student/trial version in company demoreel. Second reason is that if we use lw we will be able to do better renders and generate images that would look like professional/commercial work not school assignments and last reason is that I will have deadlines for learning rigging, so I would have to learn and deliver... now I am behaving like I am having some sort of holidays... I shall not do that :)

And we will definitely keep you guys updated, again - thx for all help.

Matt
08-02-2010, 05:00 AM
Speaking of tablet input, I've noticed the colour gadgets in the Hub don't respect Tablet input, try changing the UI colours in the Hub by dragging the RGB values on the gadget.

Jumps straight to 255.

Soth
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
But generally LW is OKish, SpeedEDIT not at all.

I have seen somewhere Tablet click precision option, you could do 3px and everything worked just fine. Not sure if that was Flash, XSI or something else.

h2oStudios
08-02-2010, 03:21 PM
F**k that, I use telekinesis... lol.

How's it going, Soth?

druitre
08-13-2010, 06:43 AM
to go back on topic: I've had your selection problem since ages, not being able to select objects in layout perspective view with my tablet (intuous3). The only way I can do it is by MMB (on the pen) and drag a selection box. Wich is unprecise and often ends up selecting all kind of objects along with the one I intended to select. This has been like this since years and years, over several different systems and multiple different drivers and graphics cards.

What's this solution you've been talking about a couple posts up? What setting in the tablet did you alter?

Re. Matt: in my experience, any value dragging with the tablet/pen in LW only works correctly when dragging values 'down', not 'up' (dragging from right to left works, from left to right it only works when I make an exaggerated dragmovement which shoots the value up to 255 more often than not.) This is in Layout, modeler and hub. Also been this way since forever. Very annoying.

Anybody else have this and now how to fix it?

Soth
08-13-2010, 09:08 AM
this setting I found in OTHER application, lightwave is missing it

druitre
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Ah... makes me wonder, how many people actually use a tablet in LW. These complaints are quite isolated.

I'm like you, RSI since 1997 and still, merely looking at a mouse makes my right hand cramp up in a painful spasm. With a Wacom I'm fine and dandy.

Other tablet users, out there? And do you have the issues mentioned in this thread, too?

erikals
08-16-2010, 03:11 PM
using a bamboo fun, love it! :]
no problemos... ;]

Lightwolf
08-16-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm using a Bamboo touch as well as an Intuos 3... LW, Fusion, coding :D

Cheers,
Mike