PDA

View Full Version : Hurley is the Man!

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Hairspray....Patch it....and now this:

Custom Null is a custom object plugin that allows you to use your LW object data to create custom null objects

http://www.hurleyworks.com/CustomNull/custom.html

hrgiger
09-17-2003, 07:52 AM
So is this like instancing?

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 07:59 AM
nope...it allows for custom null objects...instead of the limited null shapes..this lets you use any object as a null object.

fxnut
09-17-2003, 08:17 AM
Maybe its a daft question but why would you want to do this?

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 08:26 AM
I see alot of uses for it...mainly having very custom shapes for Character rigs....like a foot shape for the foot null.....it's like the custom Item shape but without limiting urself to the basic shapes...

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 08:44 AM
Here is a quick setup with the custom null:

Matt
09-17-2003, 08:51 AM
oh, I thought it was a type of instancing too, have to say I never used the custom shapes part of lightwave, but then I don't do character stuff at all

fxnut
09-17-2003, 09:14 AM
Ah okay. Well, what ever makes the work flow easier gets a thumbs up from me :)

Titus
09-17-2003, 09:25 AM
Great! I always wanted this feature with LW. I always wanted null indicating the direction of feet, head, first bone, etc.

Karmacop
09-17-2003, 09:28 AM
So ... why wasn't something like this included with lightwave? Sort of seems obvious ...

Emmanuel
09-17-2003, 10:47 AM
Nice and cool, but no real replacement for having custom BONE objects...

Nemoid
09-17-2003, 11:06 AM
Nt!! hire that man!!!:)

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 11:14 AM
we would have to pry him away from Worley's cold dead hand.....

js33
09-17-2003, 11:18 AM
Hire Worley and Hurley. :D

Cheers,
JS

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 11:24 AM
LW would get very exspensive if we did that :)

js33
09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
True but it would be worth it. :D

Cheers,
JS

Locutus
09-17-2003, 11:33 AM
Sweet.....custom nulls....imagine the possibilities.

Anyway, the rig you used for the zombie in that image......was that created in LW7.5 or 8?
If it is LW7.5 could you show it to us?

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Jonny built the rig in 7.5 and it will ship with LW8 along with tons of great new content.

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 11:40 AM
Jonny is also working on a book to share his trade secrets on modeling, rigging, and animating :)

archiea
09-17-2003, 01:05 PM
Proton,

thanks for example on uses for Custom Null....

As far as the mention of worley and hurley's contributions, I think its a great discussion:

Would users pay more up front for these added features? there was also a discussion in the past for two version of LW.. LW and LW pro.. Or perhaps modular... Like DFX...

I think the modular approach like DFX would be a great compromise...

I think what both the users and LW would gain is better integration. I'm sure Worley enjoys his freedoms, andit woul be expensive even to just license his technology. I just think that having al of this stuff under one umbrella oul help make things more consistant. I think people would be willing to pay mor for that....

js33
09-17-2003, 01:15 PM
Yeah that would be cool to have module packs like DFX for addons. Or you could have LW and LW unlimited or Pro or whatever. NT wouldn't have to do anything different really except add plugin module packs for a discount over buying them all seperately.

Cheers,
JS

WilliamVaughan
09-17-2003, 01:30 PM
you should start a poll here in the forums and see what other users think...

js33
09-17-2003, 01:35 PM
Ok I will a bit later unless someone beats me to it.
I have a client on the way right now. :D

Cheers,
JS

jb_gfx
09-17-2003, 02:08 PM
I can't believe this CustomNull plugin is a commercial product (??)

Earl
09-17-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
I can't believe this CustomNull plugin is a commercial product (??)

Why not? Someone worked to create the plugin, afterall.

I think most people like to get paid for their work! :D

fxnut
09-17-2003, 03:00 PM
Yep, I agree Earl. It seems pretty obvious why this is a commercial product just from all the interest it's drawing.

takkun
09-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by archiea
Proton,

thanks for example on uses for Custom Null....

As far as the mention of worley and hurley's contributions, I think its a great discussion:

Would users pay more up front for these added features? there was also a discussion in the past for two version of LW.. LW and LW pro.. Or perhaps modular... Like DFX...

I think the modular approach like DFX would be a great compromise...

I think what both the users and LW would gain is better integration. I'm sure Worley enjoys his freedoms, andit woul be expensive even to just license his technology. I just think that having al of this stuff under one umbrella oul help make things more consistant. I think people would be willing to pay mor for that.... So the main benefit would be that worley's plug-ins would be more integrated, but why not just beef up the SDK and allow more access to plug-in developers? I personally don't like modular software like Cinema 4d and I really don't like a "lite version and a pro version" setup like Maya and XSI.

jb_gfx
09-17-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by Earl
Why not? Someone worked to create the plugin, afterall.

I think most people like to get paid for their work! :D

True but there is also a lot of really great tools avaibles for free, even Mr Hurley is giving some plugins and scripts away for free.

What I found very discutable about this CustomNull plugin is it's not that much usefull after all except than cosmetic.

Also you can get almost the same effect by loading an object and parenting it to a null then lock the null so it's not selectable and make the object not visble when rendering. Tadddda!

It would be easy to write an LScript that automate this process if there was no example to do the same as this plugin in the latest LScript documentation (I can only laugh now..). I even made a script of this style a few month ago but to be honest I never really used it, lol.

Maybe you'll point the fact that with this plug the stats still show 0 memory used and 0 polygons. But that's just hype since the CustomNulls' geometries will still consumes memory and slowdown the OpenGL display.

Originally posted by fxnut
Yep, I agree Earl. It seems pretty obvious why this is a commercial product just from all the interest it's drawing.

Don't you think this 'interest' you are talking is more related to the fact that this plug-in is created by Steeve Hurley? Be honest..

That's my opinion at least.

geoff3dnz
09-17-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
I can't believe this CustomNull plugin is a commercial product (??) Apparently in the LScript docs, there's an example of how to create a custom object from a LWO as well...
:\

Titus
09-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Apparently?

Where?

geoff3dnz
09-17-2003, 11:57 PM
I don't know - I don't have the docs... take a look here:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88864

fxnut
09-18-2003, 03:33 AM
Titus, it's on page 99 of the LScript user guide pdf.

I must admit, it seems a bit... umm... strange... to charge for a plugin that does the same as this LScript. IMO the LScript is better as it stores the object shape inside the script. I don't know how Steves one works but I assume it only stores a file path to the the custom object mesh, which could lead to problems trying to relocate the object when passing the scene file around. At least with the script method, once you have it installed you know that the custom object shape is always gonna be available.

Don't you think this 'interest' you are talking is more related to the fact that this plug-in is created by Steeve Hurley? Be honest..
Quite possibly. But to be completely honest - I've no idea who he is (the name rings a bell though). Shame on me maybe.

What I object to, is that there are a lot of people out there who think they have a right to have free plugins for Lightwave, or generally just show attitude to any conditions of use. (although I don't think you meant to come across like that jb_gfx)

As an example, when I released my (free) CameraDirector plugin (which took two days to write), I had people complaining that I was asking for their email address before they could download. If they'd read the blurb above it, they'd have seen that it was only so I could contact them about updates should there be any bugs, etc.

One or two individuals actually complained that they didn't want to give an email address, cause they didn't have to pay for it (i.e. it wasn't a proper product). Well, next time I'll make sure I charge them first ;)

In the end I made the email address submission optional, because I didn't want people not to download it because of that. So far about 900 people have downloaded it, and three quarters of them decided to do so anonymously.

Matt
09-18-2003, 04:17 AM
Proton regarding content for LW8 is it all character stuff or will there be stuff for visualisation users (i.e. photorealism / interiors etc)

WilliamVaughan
09-18-2003, 07:37 AM
The content for 8 will please everyone...Photo real Cars, Boats, Planes, People, everyday objects, etc.

Awesome artists like Policarpo, Christoph Desse, Elmar, Jonny, Kurt Larsen, Bachelorette, Mike Blackbourne, Da_Duke, Can Tuncer, LNT, Niklas, Savinoff, Shade, Lost Pencil, and more and contributed......Everyone should be very very very happy :)

Some of the content will pay for the upgrade IMHO!

DarkLight
09-18-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by proton
The content for 8 will please everyone...Photo real Cars, Boats, Planes, People, everyday objects, etc.

Awesome artists like Policarpo, Christoph Desse, Elmar, Jonny, Kurt Larsen, Bachelorette, Mike Blackbourne, Da_Duke, Can Tuncer, LNT, Niklas, Savinoff, Shade, Lost Pencil, and more and contributed......Everyone should be very very very happy :)

Sounds really cool. I can't wait to get my hands on it :cool:

omeone
09-18-2003, 09:41 AM
Photoreal People? Mmmmmm GREAT!

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 10:57 AM
Quite possibly. But to be completely honest - I've no idea who he is (the name rings a bell though). Shame on me maybe.

Lol ok ;)

Steeve Hurley had worked at Worley Lab (and I think he's still working with them) you may have seen him in a learning video for Sasquatch. He's also the author of a few nice free tools for LightWave. Finally he mades the great HairSpray plug-in (and 2 other nice tools that will be released in the future PatchIt and LoadIt).

What I object to, is that there are a lot of people out there who think they have a right to have free plugins for Lightwave, or generally just show attitude to any conditions of use. (although I don't think you meant to come across like that jb_gfx)

As an example, when I released my (free) CameraDirector plugin (which took two days to write), I had people complaining that I was asking for their email address before they could download. If they'd read the blurb above it, they'd have seen that it was only so I could contact them about updates should there be any bugs, etc.

One or two individuals actually complained that they didn't want to give an email address, cause they didn't have to pay for it (i.e. it wasn't a proper product). Well, next time I'll make sure I charge them first ;)

In the end I made the email address submission optional, because I didn't want people not to download it because of that. So far about 900 people have downloaded it, and three quarters of them decided to do so anonymously.

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, tho that wasn't my point nor my opinion. I'm a bit disapointed about this CustomNull tool, but I totally agree that developer needs to get money for their works, even when they don't asks anything in return.

A Mejias
09-18-2003, 11:06 AM

Will there be a bull object? I think the cow must be pretty lonely after all these years.

Exper
09-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by A Mejias
Will there be a bull object? I think the cow must be pretty lonely after all these years. Add a calf too! :D

Bye.

Matt
09-18-2003, 12:31 PM
cool, can't wait, so the big question is . . . . . . . . when!!!

p.s. good to see you're still alive proton, you were quiet for a while!!!

:)

A Mejias
09-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Hairspray....Patch it....and now this:

Custom Null is a custom object plugin that allows you to use your LW object data to create custom null objects

http://www.hurleyworks.com/CustomNull/custom.html

This link no longer works and I don't see any links to the plugin on the site. Where did it go?

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 05:56 PM
The archive with the demo stil can be downloaded here:
http://www.hurleyworks.com/Downloads/Commercial/NullDEMO.zip

fxnut
09-19-2003, 01:58 AM
Hmm, it appears that it's no longer a commercial product. The Custom Null plugin now appears in the 'Free C Plugins' list here (http://www.hurleyworks.com/downloads.html). I guess he didn't realise either that there was a free bit of LScript in the manual that would do this!

I think I'm gonna check the manuals a bit more often myself before I start jumping enthusiastically into my next grand idea for a plugin ;):D

Tronam
09-30-2003, 12:43 AM
I just finished watching one of the demo movies for LoadThis! and am really surprised that an Object Viewer/Manager like this isn't already in LightWave (or at least planned for the near future). This is incorporated into Cinema4D and it's really useful. You can catalog and organize directories of materials (surfaces in LW), scenes, images etc... for easy retrieval via tiled reference images that can be drag'n'dropped into the program. Now, HairSpray is a luxury item, but something really practical like LoadThis! would really improve LW's workflow. That's the one I'd vote for if NT were to license something from Mr. Hurley. :D

-Tronam

badllarma
09-30-2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by js33
Yeah that would be cool to have module packs like DFX for addons. Or you could have LW and LW unlimited or Pro or whatever. NT wouldn't have to do anything different really except add plugin module packs for a discount over buying them all seperately.

Cheers,
JS

NO WAY...it already is modular if you want custom nulls etc.. or the advantages that say err........G2 gives you you just go and buy the plugin that's it job done. To start limiting the basic lightwave package would be a big step in the wrong direction in my opion, dare I say alittle elitest.. I thought newtek did orginally have programs like DFX and Digital Fusion anyway they were called Insipire 3D and Lightwave?????

Look at what Area 51 have done out of the box, Newtek and Area 51 seemed proud to say "this is all Lightwave 7.5 out of the box" step forward a few years with the DFX model.

And you could get yes this is Lightwave 10 out of the box PLUS all the module packs and you get the average guy say "Oh thats all well and good when you have got the extra 20 module packs costing 10K" at present the same person can think god I could do that now! just have to be bloody good!

Complete, Unlimited....................... Ring any bells :(
Lightwave everything in one box :D

fxnut
09-30-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by badllarma
NO WAY...<snip>
Complete, Unlimited....................... Ring any bells :(
Lightwave everything in one box :D

Yep I agree. Why divide the user base and make those who can't afford the extra modules feel like second class users? It just introduces elitism. Whereas at the moment, we're all like one big happy family :D

Hervé
09-30-2003, 11:37 PM
Sorry I dont.... most of people are not using half of LW's features... so a modular stuff like

CA package (with all bells for Animation)
Archi pack... for previz (with a renderman bridge...)

Etc...

You get the point...

riki
10-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Why do I keep hearing about Lightwave "PRO". Is this official from Newtek or just left over hype from the MX Pro 2004 launch???

Karmacop
10-01-2003, 02:04 AM
From what I've heard the cinema 4d users didn't like the modulation and it's made it alot worse.

riki
10-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Modulate LW and I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I don't care what the pros and cons are.

DarkLight
10-01-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by riki
Modulate LW and I'll be taking my business elsewhere. I don't care what the pros and cons are.

The idea does not really appeal to me either.

Although, I don't imaging that Newtek would do that. One of thier biggest selling points is that you get a full system out of the box.

Hervé
10-01-2003, 03:48 AM
I guess I am going too much in supermarkets then... it is just a question of attitude... I usually dont like packages either, but I dont like to be forced to buy a entire house if I need to buy just a door...

But I do get your point Riki, so just for Riki, let's keep it full, ok... we dont want you to leave us ... sniff sniff... (ok you win..!)

Jeeez, starts to be cold in my street...

Later Holly whatever's...!!

WizCraker
10-01-2003, 04:51 PM
I was thinking that exact thing, riki.

What makes LW so great is that it is a package that is different from the rest it gives you all the tools at a very reasonable price. You can choose to use them or not, either way you still get them just in case you decide too in the future with out shelling out more money.

hrgiger
10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by riki

Well, usually I hate it when people say, do this with Lightwave and I'll take my money elsewhere! But in this case I have to agree with Riki.

Newtek's credo has pretty much always been to develop software that even an artist could afford. Newtek trying to engineer a higher end version of Lightwave just so they could charge more for it seems like stepping away from their core values in a big f'in way.

High five Riki.

riki
10-01-2003, 06:35 PM
Sorry Hervé I wasn't having a go at you. Hope it didn't come across that way.

Hervé
10-01-2003, 11:32 PM
That's OK Riki, I was just scared about the hook on your avatar !

******RIKI For President !!******
*******It's About Time !*********

Allez Riki, Allez Riki ! *
(*Let's go Riki !)

Have a nice day my friend.
Later, Hervé

Hervé
10-01-2003, 11:47 PM
I was just browsing Turbosquid, and there is a LW Presidential Plane (boeing) on sale for.......... $1,950.... woaw.... but I guess it's weldone...

Jeez, I should start modelling more...

riki
10-01-2003, 11:47 PM
haha hrgiger is king at the moment. Damn I'm always coming second, even on the Lux site :D

Beamtracer
10-02-2003, 12:05 AM
The one thing I don't like about Cinema 4D is it's modular format. I think it's just a way for Maxon to grab more money. I think if you buy all the C4D modules it becomes more expensive than if it was a complete package, like Lightwave.

Hervé
10-02-2003, 01:03 AM
Ok ok.... and what about "Universe Manager"... ?

Hervé

Tronam
10-02-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
The one thing I don't like about Cinema 4D is it's modular format. I think it's just a way for Maxon to grab more money. I think if you buy all the C4D modules it becomes more expensive than if it was a complete package, like Lightwave.

That actually isn't quite true, because if you choose to buy the Studio bundle that includes them all, they knock 25-30% off the cost of the modules combined cost (when sold seperately), so it's actually financially advantageous to go for the whole package. But, if you were to buy them all individually, one at a time, then you are right in that it would be more expensive. They also handled the modularity quite well with it. When they are installed, they become a seamless part of the application. Keep in mind that they also licensed certain technologies from Cebas for some of them, including PyroCluster, Thinking Particles and a couple of rendering technologies. I think their Radiosity and Caustics solutions are derivitives of FinalRender tech and incorporated into C4D's rendering engine.

-Tronam