PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 10 Question Thread

G-Man
07-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Does VPR support Hypervoxels?

Does it support outline rendering (Ink Lines for toon shading)?

Can the output from VPR be written to a file for final output (Like FPrime)

Does VPR support third party shaders and light types especially from DPont?

Danner
07-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Does VPR use the GPU? If so, does it take advantage of professional 3d cards or are we better off with gaming cards?

dwburman
07-31-2010, 09:54 PM
If gaming cards are useful, will LW take advantage of 2 cards tied together via SLI or Crossfire?

manasa
07-31-2010, 11:14 PM
joints or bones...?
I'm confused about it

ivanze
07-31-2010, 11:37 PM
Volumetric Lights?

danielkaiser
08-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Will LW10 get me laid?

3D Kiwi
08-01-2010, 02:07 AM
What can you do with core. Is the modeling complete eg can you take a model from start to finish. Can you use core for you final renders, does it have buffers or a pass system. What would be the workflow if you are using all 3 apps????

LW_Will
08-01-2010, 02:20 AM
Will LW10 get me laid?

Almost. :)

The VPR IS the full point renderer... so theoretically anything that the Full renderer can do, the VPR can do.

Endorphin
08-01-2010, 03:26 AM
- is VPR working on a Mac?

- is VPR GPU based or CPU based?

littlewaves
08-01-2010, 03:30 AM
what are the ACTUAL system requirements for LW10/core on the Mac and is the graphics card REALLY "not applicable"?

Cageman
08-01-2010, 03:30 AM
- is VPR working on a Mac?

- is VPR GPU based or CPU based?

VPR should work on a mac... and VPR is CPU-based, since it is using the renderengine in LW.

Kuzey
08-01-2010, 04:28 AM
Speaking of platform specifics...is the Mac version up to par with the PC version??

I remember the Mac beta started late and wonder if it's still behind the PC version.

Kuzey

Philbert
08-01-2010, 11:42 AM
Does VPR support Hypervoxels?
Can the output from VPR be written to a file for final output (Like FPrime)

It is my understanding that VPR will support Hypervoxels (and everything else) but right now in the beta it does not.

Also from my understanding, no VPR can not be output as a file, because it is a viewport Preview renderer. Also consider that your viewport is not necessarily the resolution that you want to output it would be kind of anmnoying to scale the program window so that your viewport is 720x1280 all the time.

realgray
08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Will they show off the UV tools before release?

Traveler
08-01-2010, 03:10 PM
Will FFX be updated with LW10?

rsfd
08-04-2010, 09:19 AM
What can you do with core. Is the modeling complete eg can you take a model from start to finish. Can you use core for you final renders, does it have buffers or a pass system. What would be the workflow if you are using all 3 apps????

I'm not into HC, but as Modeler is still around, I would doubt that Core offers a complete modeling section. I also doubt, that the Core render engine/shading system is even close to be usable for final output.
I'd like to see some clearing about possible workflows too. At the moment I would expect to model in Modeler, maybe use Core for UV, setup scene in Layout and *maybe* switch between Layout and Core for some final geometry tweaks. But I don't even know if that would be possible, as there's no information about how cameras and lights are exchanged between the two apps. And as the shading system in Core is new, I wonder what would happen to surfaces - will e.g. nodal shading from Layout be lost when one switches to Core?

...The VPR IS the full point renderer... so theoretically anything that the Full renderer can do, the VPR can do.

That's the way that I understand VPR too.
I wonder if VPR will significantly slow down as soon as new render features will be integrated.

VPR should work on a mac...

urgh, that sounds as if there isn't even 1 Mac user in HC :o

shrox
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
At this point, CORE sounds like little more than an expensive hub.

Dreamcube017
08-04-2010, 12:37 PM
I kind of agree.

Sometimes I wonder why the modeler and layout aren't sold seperatly. What if someone just likes the modeler and doesn't need the other parts?

It's already seperate applications. So they could technically do it and sell it at half price or something.

adamredwoods
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
I'm disappointed there's no instancing in LW10.
LW10 does seem a little light on the wave...

Philbert
08-04-2010, 12:47 PM
There's instancing in CORE.

adamredwoods
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
There's instancing in CORE.

Is LW10 Core or an upgrade to LW9.6?

Cageman
08-04-2010, 01:05 PM
LW10 = Layout, Modeler and CORE

evolross
08-04-2010, 10:04 PM
There's two things that haven't been discussed very much in the LW10/LWHC/CORE updates:

1. Will particles and hypervoxels be the same? Will we get node-based behavioral tools like 3DSMAX or Houdini? Will hypervoxel rendering get an update? (I assume ClothFX will be a apart of the Bullet Dynamics stuff, no?)

2. Will there be a built-in render pass manager? Like Passport or Janus?

adamredwoods
08-04-2010, 11:31 PM
If LW10 has instancing, then why isn't it a BIG, *new* feature?

Philbert
08-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Maybe they're trying to play it cool since the other guys already have it. It's there though, it's been in multiple videos, like this one from February:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Z1NyDVrgRY

Amurrell
08-05-2010, 12:08 AM
See here http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph1.php

Honestly, HC will be familiar to you and it's like 9.6 on steroids in some areas with some new features and optimizations. "Everything is a node" in CORE and even though it is not full featured yet, it is faster than 9.6 in areas and other areas still need work to date. Dig around a little in the software and you can see where it is going and it is eye-popping. As far as VPR is concerned, it is a preview as the name suggests and the video suggests and the F9 render is superior, but VPR is very close in many cases, since it is using part of the main renderer in its algorithm.

Bottom line, you won't be disappointed.

rsfd
08-05-2010, 05:19 AM
There's two things that haven't been discussed very much in the LW10/LWHC/CORE updates:

1. Will particles and hypervoxels be the same? Will we get node-based behavioral tools like 3DSMAX or Houdini? Will hypervoxel rendering get an update? (I assume ClothFX will be a apart of the Bullet Dynamics stuff, no?)

2. Will there be a built-in render pass manager? Like Passport or Janus?

I'm just assuming, but:
As Core has a new render engine and shading system, I wouldn't expect Particles and Hypervoxels being the same as in LW-classic. Node-based behavioral seems to be a development goal for CORE, not LW-classic. As most development will be for CORE, there isn't much chance to see improved Hypervoxel rendering in LW-classic, but most likely in CORE in upcoming releases.
Render Passes will be a sure feature of LW-CORE, but will only be usable when the Render Engine and the Shading System of LW-CORE are completed.
My guess is that this will take at least 1 year of development.

LW-CORE has instancing, my guess is that those instances can't be translated to LW-Layout for rendering, making them pretty useless at this time. (Except, if one renders in LW-CORE. Probably there's a way to change CORE instances to normal geometry to bring them into Layout, but that wouldn't be too helpful either).

realgray
08-05-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm concerned about not seeing a single demo on OSX. I'm wondering how far behind the Mac version is. This is weighing heavily on my decision to buy.

Matt
08-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Sometimes I wonder why the modeler and layout aren't sold seperatly. What if someone just likes the modeler and doesn't need the other parts?

It's already seperate applications. So they could technically do it and sell it at half price or something.

Well, if you're given a model and need to create a new surface for something, you'll need Modeler to do that.

Matt
08-05-2010, 06:55 AM

Instancing will be the in CORE side of things, not LW, same with the UV tools and Bullet Dynamics.

There is a feature list / breakdown on this page (although instancing is not on that list).

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php

JeffrySG
08-05-2010, 06:56 AM
urgh, that sounds as if there isn't even 1 Mac user in HC :o

There are many mac users in HC. Many of us are actively doing our best to make sure the mac version works as well as the pc version. We still can't really openly talk about what's going on so I've been pretty silent. But rest assured there are many mac users in HC.

Nicolas Jordan
08-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Is LW10 Core or an upgrade to LW9.6?

It's both.

Kuzey
08-05-2010, 07:01 AM
There are many mac users in HC. Many of us are actively doing our best to make sure the mac version works as well as the pc version. We still can't really openly talk about what's going on so I've been pretty silent. But rest assured there are many mac users in HC.

So Jeffry...is the Mac version on par with the PC version, or is it running behind due to OpenGL bugs and what not??

Kuzey

JeffrySG
08-05-2010, 07:14 AM
So Jeffry...is the Mac version on par with the PC version, or is it running behind due to OpenGL bugs and what not??

Kuzey

I'm not really sure what we're allowed to talk about... But I will say that things change with every new build we get. Sometimes things get worse sometimes they get better as they implement new features that might temporarily break a different part. The software is in such a changing state from build to build.

Kuzey
08-05-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm not really sure what we're allowed to talk about... But I will say that things change with every new build we get. Sometimes things get worse sometimes they get better as they implement new features that might temporarily break a different part. The software is in such a changing state from build to build.

Thanks Jeffry :thumbsup:

I have a fear it will turn out like the 9.6, it'll be released in a buggy state/incomplete and perhaps have it's own beta afterwards....to clean things up.

I don't want to get you into trouble, but are you happy with the Mac version of LW10/Core so far...besides the ups and downs of each build. Also, do you think the planned 4Q release is realistic...as far as the Mac version goes?

Kuzey

JAW
08-05-2010, 07:51 AM
So im confused also:

I bought 9.6 in April 09, does that mean i get v10 now?
I payed over $600?

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, if you're given a model and need to create a new surface for something, you'll need Modeler to do that.

Well maybe layout is just like the add-on for modeler (if it were sold like this)
So you could buy just modeler if all you really wanted to do with LW was model and then if you wanted to render and everything, you could buy modeler+layout... Kinda like Modo I guess where you really only model and texture with it.

Or you could just buy layout and model in something else?... meh, whatever, it was just an idea.

When you say instancing, do you mean like replicators or something where you take one object and then spawn it all over the place?

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 07:56 AM
So im confused also:

I payed over $600?

Hmm... from waht I read, you can pay the 495 to upgarde and get in to CORE?... is that right?

So apparently new 9.6 users automatically get in... but since I bought mine's from a reseller (via that resller link on the main page) I don't really know where I fit. I'm guessing since it's not a "NEW" liscence, I can't just jump to 10... maybe?... I don't know, I haven't registered it yet so I guess I'll see when I register it.

JAW
08-05-2010, 08:00 AM
Hmm... from waht I read, you can pay the 495 to upgarde and get in to CORE?... is that right?

So apparently new 9.6 users automatically get in... but since I bought mine's from a reseller (via that resller link on the main page) I don't really know where I fit. I'm guessing since it's not a "NEW" liscence, I can't just jump to 10... maybe?... I don't know, I haven't registered it yet so I guess I'll see when I register it.

Thats my confusion, I bought mine threw NT, Boxed. And when I bought it, I bought the deal with 9.6 with free upgrade to Core once its released. But if core is now part of v10, does that mean I get v10 free as upgrade? Do I get upgrade to v10 free, or no upgrade to v10? or did I buy a deal thats no longer gunna happen?

Any clear this up?

Myagi
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
So im confused also:

I payed over $600?

Have you checked your registration page (register.newtek.com) that you haven't already had an entry for core/hardcore there the entire time? :)

If you bought it advertised as Core being included then you should have had it there, and also access to the forums and betas the entire time (if you registered for that using the core reg info). LW10 is what was sold as "Core" in the beginning. The whole bundle of new modeler/layout version and first core version is called LW10.

If it wasn't a used copy (second hand license) I would think it's considered to be a new one. Just register and see if a core entry pops up.

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Hm well based on this, I guess I'm at least eligable for the upgarde price. Oh well. Eitherway, I'll see when I register it.

rsfd
08-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Instancing will be the in CORE side of things, not LW, same with the UV tools and Bullet Dynamics...

So, as I read, instances aren't transferable to Layout.
Same goes for Bullet (that was pretty obvious).
Is there a possibility to exchange scenes (stills, no animations - including camera and lights) between Layout and CORE? As the shading system is different, will Layout shading be lost when scenes go to CORE and vice versa?
I'm not sure if HC members are allowed to spread such info, but I just ask anyway.

There are many mac users in HC. ...

Thank you, JeffrySC, for those infos. Much appreciated.

@JAW and Dreamcube017:
it's as Myagi stated: you both are legitimated HC members.
There is no LightWave without HC membership since early 2009.
If someone of you don't find a HC registration link in his account, you should contact NT customer support. Otherwise, just register for HC and download!

Myagi
08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Hm well based on this, I guess I'm at least eligable for the upgarde price. Oh well. Eitherway, I'll see when I register it.

NT has always been very nice about its licensing. Unlike some other companies where you get a feeling they're trying to find every loop hole they can to screw you over, NT gives off the opposite vibe.

So while I can't guarantee anything, I would be fairly certain that you did get LW10 included with yours. I don't think they're going to point and say "ha ha, suckered! that copy was laying at the reseller from way before core/lw10 was included" :D

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 09:24 AM
Darn if only my email wasn't blocked at work. :\ Oh well, guess I'll have to wait and see. If it includes 10, great, if not though, that's fine. Thanks for the help.

Now as for this instancing and physics...

I'm still confused on that.

So let me get this right....

There's modeler... layout... and CORE... which is a merge of a new moderler and layout within the same app with some extra render and physics features?... is that right?... or is CORE just... another layout but with VPR and instancing and physics or stuff... so you can make something in modeler and export it to CORE... or model it in CORE and keep it in CORE?... or... model it in modeler, then layout to CORE.... X_x

EDIT: Oh and I'm pretty sure by the time CORE's out, you won't loose your shader data.. I hope. You spend all day texturing in layout, just to render it in CORE and... BAM, no shaders...

Or you could just texture it in COER... Can CORE do full renders too or only layout?

Myagi
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Core is a new app written from scratch, with the intent of eventually completely replacing Modeler and Layout, ie. a full featured stand alone app like 3ds max, maya, softimage etc.. Until that point is reached you have all 3 apps to complete/enhance eachother.

There's a PDF to download, that lists what functionality the first Core version is intended (as it's still in developement) to have. Scroll down below the images on http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php.

Philbert
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Yes since CORE was first announced it was always going to come with an updated version of Modeler / Layout, so nothing has changed in that respect but the name. So if you bought 9.6 after CORE was announced you will get the upgrade to 10.

Cageman
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Is there a possibility to exchange scenes (stills, no animations - including camera and lights) between Layout and CORE?

The idea is that you should be able to transfer data between Layout, Modeler and CORE. Obviously, LWOs can be loaded and saved in CORE, but to a certain extent, animation is also supported. An example on how CORE will add functionality to Layout, is Bullet Dynamics. Transfer data over to CORE from either Modeler or Layout (or build the stuff in CORE), do the simulation and transfer the result back to Layout for final rendering or whatever you intend to do with it. The finer details on how this works right now or future plans regarding enhancements to this, is not something I can comment on.

:)

adamredwoods
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM
So, as I read, instances aren't transferable to Layout.
Is there a possibility to exchange scenes (stills, no animations - including camera and lights) between Layout and CORE? As the shading system is different, will Layout shading be lost when scenes go to CORE and vice versa?

Ok. I'm still confuseled.

so Buy LW today and get (in Q4):
LW Layout 10
LW Modeler 10
plus
LW CORE

LW Core has loads of features like instancing, VPR, mega-polys. But it can't (or can it?) render to LW Layout 10 for hypervoxels and bones.

So then is NewTek advertising the new VPR in LW Layout10 or LW Core?

JAW
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
@JAW and Dreamcube017:
it's as Myagi stated: you both are legitimated HC members.
There is no LightWave without HC membership since early 2009.
If someone of you don't find a HC registration link in his account, you should contact NT customer support. Otherwise, just register for HC and download!

Thanks, I just contacted NT, and I am a Core member, I just didnt relize Im a noob, (Puts Dun'C HAT ON AND FACES CORNER)

Cageman
08-05-2010, 10:37 AM

The videos from Siggraph is demonstrating VPR in Layout10, but VPR is also avaliable in CORE.

Philbert
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM

LW Layout 10
LW Modeler 10
plus
LW CORE

LW Core has loads of features like instancing, VPR, mega-polys. But it can't (or can it?) render to LW Layout 10 for hypervoxels and bones.

Yes to all of that. I was surprised to see that VPR is in both Layout and CORE, I expected only CORE but if you watch the Siggraph videos (http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph1.php) you can see it in both.

JeffrySG
08-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Thanks Jeffry :thumbsup:

I have a fear it will turn out like the 9.6, it'll be released in a buggy state/incomplete and perhaps have it's own beta afterwards....to clean things up.

I don't want to get you into trouble, but are you happy with the Mac version of LW10/Core so far...besides the ups and downs of each build. Also, do you think the planned 4Q release is realistic...as far as the Mac version goes?

Kuzey
I think most of my frustration has been just from the fact that the process has us using software that really is still being fully developed. Not the same as just a little bug testing. I'd say that most of my issues have been working with an product still being developed as compared to the mac version specifically. But like I said every release can be different. I'm not fully clear what the final 4Q is supposed to look like (tools and feature wise) so it's hard for me to really say, but my guess is yes they'll make it.

Dreamcube017
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
*raises hand* uh... what's a megapoly?

rsfd
08-05-2010, 11:08 AM

LW Layout 10
LW Modeler 10
plus
LW CORE

Yes, if you buy now, you get the actual OpenBeta of LW10 immediately and later on the final released version.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm no HC member myself, so I'm only assuming from the infos I read during the past 18 months or so.
The renderer and the shading system of CORE was always communicated as being a new system, some features of the actual system will find their way into CORE (as long as the code can be implemented), while other features will be "CORE only". There were no usable infos about how the shading can translate between all 3 applications. And as the render engine of CORE is most likely not fully featured yet, final rendering will have to take place in Layout.

VPR is available in both CORE and LW-Layout, but there is no info about if VPR in Layout matches all features of VPR in CORE. Probably there are two versions of VPR, one for CORE and one for Layout. The new OpenGL features e.g. are limited in Layout to the anaglyph viewport.
Problem is that NT communicates the sum of the features that LW10 will offer - they don't tell you exactly which features are accessible in which part of LW10 and how the interchangeability works. During the past, I've learned to read carefully "between the lines" and so even the LW10 page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php) doesn't satisfy me with regard to "enlightenment".

Cageman
08-05-2010, 12:13 PM
During the past, I've learned to read carefully "between the lines" and so even the LW10 page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php) doesn't satisfy me with regard to "enlightenment".

What is it that you don't understand from the page regarding what features are avaliable where?

TeZzy
08-05-2010, 03:15 PM
I haven't caught up with any of the latest things with lightwave even though we have a access to HC.

Have they improved things for rigging for LW10 layout(not talking about CORE as I think some have mixed the 2)?

things such as parenting and using the 'dynamic parenting'? they don't amuse me when I have a whole bunch of controllers for a character and have to use the pull down menu to find the object I have to parent it to. The scene editor is an option but I personally feel that a shortcut is better. Select the child and parent and hit a shortcut, done! this also applies to the dynamic parenting.

Oh and any ideas if they have a better way of doing corrective morphs?

speismonqui
08-05-2010, 04:21 PM
like the Weld tool in modeler... select the point to be merged ("child"), select the "parent" and apply Weld. DONE!

TeZzy
08-05-2010, 04:46 PM
indeed....another thing that will benefit rigging and I know most people say it's just to make it look good, which I completely disagree with is having custom item shapes instead of just the current ones. There are scripts that allow you to use an LWO as an item but it lacks the features of the one built into lightwave such as scale and axis, not sure what is involved to get that working but it would be nice. Reason why these few things is useful is because a rig using only controllers to animate would be made easy for the animator(namely ones that normally using maya or other packages where they have certain luxuries that we don't)

Amurrell
08-05-2010, 05:44 PM
...There were no usable infos about how the shading can translate between all 3 applications. And as the render engine of CORE is most likely not fully featured yet, final rendering will have to take place in Layout.

VPR is available in both CORE and LW-Layout, but there is no info about if VPR in Layout matches all features of VPR in CORE. Probably there are two versions of VPR, one for CORE and one for Layout. The new OpenGL features e.g. are limited in Layout to the anaglyph viewport.
Problem is that NT communicates the sum of the features that LW10 will offer - they don't tell you exactly which features are accessible in which part of LW10 and how the interchangeability works. During the past, I've learned to read carefully "between the lines" and so even the LW10 page (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php) doesn't satisfy me with regard to "enlightenment".

Translation between apps is being worked on all the time and improving. By release it should be seamless so I wouldn't worry. Two already work together, so it's all about getting the new kid to play nice, and he's starting to play very well.

VPR for both Layout and CORE are comparable, and from the videos, both SIGGRAPH and earlier, you can see that for yourself. Layout had it introduced last. Both approach shading the same, yet different. Not sure how far I can get into that though, but what I can say is what you see is what you get. In some ways the Layout VPR has more stuff to work with because things were already in place, on the other side with CORE, those systems are being built, but quickly. Vague yes, but until NewTek chimes in, that's all I can say, I believe.

dwburman
08-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Select the child and parent and hit a shortcut, done! this also applies to the dynamic parenting.

You can already do this in the current version of Lightwave but I think it's only in the schematic view. Select the child and ctrl-click on the item you want to be its parent.

The only downside is that when you first open the view it's kind of a mess, but I think there's a plug-in that will organize it automatically.

TeZzy
08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
probably but even then it would still be nice to just do it in the actual camera or perspective view

Danner
08-06-2010, 01:32 AM
like the Weld tool in modeler... select the point to be merged ("child"), select the "parent" and apply Weld. DONE!

Display options, Interface tab, Alert level Medium, DONE!

rsfd
08-07-2010, 05:31 AM
What is it that you don't understand from the page regarding what features are avaliable where?

Well, I see the features that are available in each application, but I don't see how they translate between them.

The "Data Interchange Enhancements" section e.g. lists FBX and COLLADA as possible interchange formats, but the benefits description lists camera, lights, texture maps and "etc." Etc. doesn't make things clearer.
Again, afaik the shading system of CORE is a complete re-write and therefore completely (?) different to the shading system of classic LW (Layout+Modeler) making it possibly improbable to exchange objects between Layout and CORE without destroying the shading. This wouldn't be useful at all.
One "feature" that I am looking for is the possibility to alter the geometry of luminous polys in camera view in real-time to achieve precise reflections in objects. Atm, this is a nearly impossible task in LightWave, as geometry can't be complexly altered in Layout and Modeler hasn't got a camera viewport at all.
If a Layout scene could be send to CORE, maintaining camera view, lighting and shading, it would be possible to alter luminous polys until the desired reflections are achieved.
The scene could then be send back to Layout for final rendering.
If the shading is lost or altered while exchanging scenes from Layout to CORE and vice versa, it would be some kind of useless for me.

The VPR section lists nodal shading as previewable, but which one? CORE nodal shading obviously in CORE and also in Layout? Layout nodal shading in Layout but (most likely) not in CORE? I was surprised to see VPR in Layout and I think this is a great addition, enough for making it worth to enter HC, but in the special case I mentioned above, wouldn't help me out either :o

Translation between apps is being worked on all the time and improving. By release it should be seamless so I wouldn't worry. Two already work together, so it's all about getting the new kid to play nice, and he's starting to play very well.

VPR for both Layout and CORE are comparable, and from the videos, both SIGGRAPH and earlier, you can see that for yourself. Layout had it introduced last. Both approach shading the same, yet different. Not sure how far I can get into that though, but what I can say is what you see is what you get. In some ways the Layout VPR has more stuff to work with because things were already in place, on the other side with CORE, those systems are being built, but quickly. Vague yes, but until NewTek chimes in, that's all I can say, I believe.

Thanks, Amurrell, that's sort of encouraging!
We'll see, if there will be some more info by NT.
Finally, there's still enough time until HC closes ;)

dwburman
08-07-2010, 04:52 PM
One "feature" that I am looking for is the possibility to alter the geometry of luminous polys in camera view in real-time to achieve precise reflections in objects. Atm, this is a nearly impossible task in LightWave, as geometry can't be complexly altered in Layout and Modeler hasn't got a camera viewport at all.

What kind of complex editing are you talking about that can't be handled with bones, morph targets and other deformers or at the very least with Modeler updating the object in layout via the Hub? Obviously this isn't optimal and you'll need FPrime or VPR in order to see the reflections in real time, but I think "nearly impossible" is more like "not worth the effort." :)

There used to be a video on the Core page (and, of course, most of the old videos have been removed... the announcement is here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101583&highlight=pdeform)) on the CORE's Paint Deform tool being used to add detail to a model which updated in Layout as soon as the object was saved in core. I kind of remember there being textures on the plane. I'm not saying your custom built node-tree will work, but at least the basic surface parameters should still work. If it is just the basic surface parameters then you could be limited in what you can do.

I wish I knew more, but sadly I'm not in HC either.

grn
08-07-2010, 05:17 PM
If there's a good edge bevel in CORE, could it be easily transfered to Modeler ?

rsfd
08-08-2010, 09:11 AM
What kind of complex editing are you talking about that can't be handled with bones, morph targets and other deformers or at the very least with Modeler updating the object in layout via the Hub? Obviously this isn't optimal and you'll need FPrime or VPR in order to see the reflections in real time, but I think "nearly impossible" is more like "not worth the effort." :)

"Complex" here just means: editing points, adding edges and so on.
Say I would need a luminous poly to create a reflective line on an object that follows a certain contour: a straight 4-point-poly will not do and Layout only offers to scale and stretch the poly. If one adds more edges in Modeler, you can't use stretch/move to deform as you can't select single points in Layout. If one switches to Modeler to alter the poly geometry, it results in a tedious try-and-error game as there isn't a camera view in Modeler and OpenGL reflections don't work with nodal shading. So all one can do is alter the poly geometry, switch back to Layout and watch the result: if it doesn't fit > repeat!
OK, yes: it's a "not worth the effort" thing ;)

There used to be a video on the Core page (and, of course, most of the old videos have been removed... the announcement is here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101583&highlight=pdeform)) on the CORE's Paint Deform tool being used to add detail to a model which updated in Layout as soon as the object was saved in core. I kind of remember there being textures on the plane. I'm not saying your custom built node-tree will work, but at least the basic surface parameters should still work. If it is just the basic surface parameters then you could be limited in what you can do.

I wish I knew more, but sadly I'm not in HC either.

Yes, I remember the paint deform (kind of drag net tool), wouldn't be useful in that special case. But if Core could read LW-Layout scenes and would have the same camera viewport, it could work better, even if the shading isn't translated completely (it seems as if basic material settings translate - according to the screenshots available).
And as Core most likely allows for point editing at this time, it could at least be an enhancement (if the shading isn't completely corrupted by switching from Core to Layout and back).

hrgiger
08-08-2010, 09:40 AM
If there's a good edge bevel in CORE, could it be easily transfered to Modeler ?

Not sure what you mean. You can certainly edge bevel something in CORE and then open that model in modeler but you can't use a CORE tool inside of modeler if that's what you're talking about.

dwburman
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
I think we all hope that Core is useful for production in some way and not just a technology demo. It'd definitely be nice to edit points in layout without going through workarounds. :)