PDA

View Full Version : Content directory

skywalker113
07-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Everytime I open up a object or scene file, I always have to browse for the textures and models. How is one suppost to set things up propery so you never have to search for everything?

nickdigital
07-31-2010, 04:20 PM
Your Content Directory can be a drive or folder.

In that drive or folder should be folders called Objects, Images Scenes.

You would use the folder route if you were working on multiple projects and wanted to keep the assets separated.

From there set your content directory path in Modeler and Layout to the drive or folder.

Dexter2999
07-31-2010, 04:35 PM
Project Folder>
Scene Folder
Objects Folder
Images Folder

When you open the scene it will ask if you want to set the default path to the Project Folder. Say "YES" and it should find your objects and textures provided that you put them in the correct folder.

File management, gotta love it.

Danner
07-31-2010, 11:00 PM
The academic way is to make a project with all the folders mentioned before inside it, and then point your content directory to it.

The way I have been doing it for a long time is a bit different and it might not work for you..

I often work on several projects at a time and load objects from older scenes so I created a LWscenes folder. Inside it, I have everything cathegorized by year client and scene. for example C:/LWscenes/2010/W_Hotel_Barcelona/lobby My content directory is LWscenes.

If I need a tree I used in 2006 I just load it up and all it's textures are there, because the content directory has stayed the same (even tho I'm not even using the same computer).

This system is not perfect and it does have it's problems. But I rather live with those than to pull my hair out everytime LW asks me for a texture or having to switch content directories all the time. There are times when I need to package the scene but that is done automatically now so no big deal.

skywalker113
08-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys. I will try to make a setup as mentioned.