PDA

View Full Version : Skelebot animation

Z-Boy
09-17-2003, 07:11 AM
Hi, i`d like to show an animation of my latest work. I recently finished the body-modelling, and decided to make a quick animation. Here is a frame from it:

http://www.virtualshade.com/images/portfolio/images_large/skelebot3.jpg

You can download the animation HERE (http://www.virtualshade.com/images/portfolio/movies/skelebot_xvid.avi)

Its encoded with the XVID codec (http://www.xvid.org/) , bacause i think its better than divx.

hrgiger
09-17-2003, 08:15 AM
Looks pretty cool and I would like to see it but I think I'll hold out for a divx or .mov version...

Zarathustra
09-17-2003, 08:18 AM
ditto.

I never heard of that codec, which is a safe bet that it doesn't exist for Mac. Try posting something everyone can see.

The still looks good.

Z-Boy
09-17-2003, 09:23 AM
Sorry guys, here is a divx version | Download (http://www.virtualshade.com/images/portfolio/movies/fullrender_divx.avi)

You guys should check out xvid though, it compresses video really well. Great quality and good size.

Zarathustra
09-17-2003, 10:02 AM
You guys should check out xvid though, it compresses video really well. Great quality and good size.

uh, that's nice. Did you read above where I mentioned Mac? I saw no mention of Mac availability. Did I miss that?

Anyway, it's a decent model, good render and the upper body movements seem pretty good. What are you gonna do with him?

Z-Boy
09-17-2003, 01:55 PM
Sorry Zara, but there are guys who use pc too, i just said it was good codec. Thanks for the comment though. Its just something for my showreel.

Zarathustra
09-17-2003, 02:18 PM
No sweat. Most people either don't realize or wish to ignore that there's this whole other computer system out there.

Thanks for the divx update.

hrgiger
09-17-2003, 11:44 PM
Thanks for posting the divx.

I'm sure the XVID codec is nice but I just prefer the availability of the divx format.

Anyway, the animation rendering looks great. The lighting is really nice. What's the lighting setup?

veljko
09-18-2003, 02:42 AM
well, colour me impressed!

great work, fantastic material definitions!

now, i want you to tell me how did you make thoes materials?

please?
:)

I guess its all in the reflection maps?

i really love it!

freedik
09-18-2003, 03:34 AM
Aww that render looks really promising, too bad I can't see the DIVX thing neither(I'm at work,some divx movies don't work here).

About xvid, the end of the world is near because everyone has started using it. I tried to install it to my home computer, most sites contained SOURCE CODES. One site gave instructions how to install it, so I installed all those 8(!) programs as I was instructed. Needless to say, I still didn't see any xvid movies that I had. So
DON'T USE XVID UNLESS YOU WANT TO SHOW YOUR MOVIES _ONLY_ TO OTHER CODEC PROGRAMMERS!
Sorry, had to let it out :p.

Z-Boy
09-18-2003, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the comments guys, very much appreciated!

About the lighting:

The lighting is very simple, 3 spotlights, and radiosity set to "backdrop only" with 4*12 rays per evaluation. The backdrop is set to a light gray.

About the materials:

The main material uses a hdri image (uziffe.hdr) in the reflection panel. I also have a polygon plane on top of and below the character. This helps a lot with the large reflections. The diffuse is set to a light blueish color, and i use gradients for falloff in the reflection channel.

The rendering time was between 5 and 20 minutes on a p4 2.4 ghz.

Robert

handron
09-18-2003, 11:05 AM
Very creative. I liked it a lot. Post if you do more to it.:)

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 11:41 AM
That's a very nice model, I like the surfacing too.

btw for mac users, too bad they don't have Google on their system to do a 1 minutes search.. or do they have it?

You can use 3ivx codec (free) on Mac to decode Xvid. Or you can hex edit the avi and both 'xivd' string at the beginning of the file and replace it by 'divx' then use DivX5 codecs to read the file (I assume there is an hex editor on the mac?? lol).

Poor mac users I vote for a port of Google on the mac!! :)

Originally posted by freedik
Aww that render looks really promising, too bad I can't see the DIVX thing neither(I'm at work,some divx movies don't work here).

About xvid, the end of the world is near because everyone has started using it. I tried to install it to my home computer, most sites contained SOURCE CODES. One site gave instructions how to install it, so I installed all those 8(!) programs as I was instructed. Needless to say, I still didn't see any xvid movies that I had. So
DON'T USE XVID UNLESS YOU WANT TO SHOW YOUR MOVIES _ONLY_ TO OTHER CODEC PROGRAMMERS!
Sorry, had to let it out :p.

I see, in your country too there is no Google.. poor you...

Compiled versions of Xvid codecs:
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=XviD_Install.exe
or
http://www.filemirrors.com/search.src?file=XviD-04102002-1.exe

or again you can just hex edit the avi file and replace xvid by divx then use DivX codec to read the video (there is a plenty or freeware tools to do that automaticly).

Zarathustra
09-18-2003, 11:49 AM
Or you can hex edit the avi and both 'xivd' string at the beginning of the file and...

uh...what? I know what a hex wrench is. I could put a hex on it with some blood and chicken bones.

I think it's a good idea for everyone if you want to show something to as many people as possible, make it EASILY accessible - something NT goofed on with their SIGGRAPH stream. :rolleyes:

jb_gfx
09-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Zarathustra
uh...what? I know what a hex wrench is. I could put a hex on it with some blood and chicken bones.

Why did I expected this kind of answer? Ever heard about hexadecimal? Binary? Computer maybe? Ah no that's true you are just a Mac user! ROTFL

Don't take it bad but most of the Mac users I meet know nothing about computers. Tho they surely know how to cry and complains about problems that exists just because of their low (read null) computer skill.

If I'd be a software developer I'd certainly complain about the poor quality of users port on the Apple's system! :D

Rory_L
09-19-2003, 12:50 AM
You don`t need to be able to dis- and reassemble your car blindfolded to be a good driver! Same goes for computer use!

veljko
09-19-2003, 01:40 AM
let me be the voice of reason here (before the moderator wakes up:) )- and say that althought this disccusion is really interesting it has no place on these forums and i see no productive nore artistic nore creative angle to it so, lets stop it here?

veljko- internet police-

|----------internet police-----please read mail and move on----------|

jb_gfx
09-19-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Rory_L
You don`t need to be able to dis- and reassemble your car blindfolded to be a good driver! Same goes for computer use!

Absolutly but at no moment I refered to the assemblage part. When, in a car, you know where the flickering light is located that has nothing to deal with mechanic. Got it?

Btw, my precedent post was obviously (for me, sorry it's sometimes hard to pass ideas among internet) tinted with a subtil dose of humor. I don't put every Mac users in the same bag, nor that I care about who use what kind of computer.

I've been an Amiga user for years and I worked many on the Mac Platform (and liked it). I also used a lot of different hardware/OS for my personal use or for my job.