PDA

View Full Version : God of Thunder

Mr Rid
07-31-2010, 05:15 AM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xe6x0r_thor-comiccon-trailer-vo_shortfilms

biliousfrog
07-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Yeah, spotted it on CGTalk last week...terrible. As a corny, tongue in cheek, mythological comic book character in an 80's cartoon it kinda works but in the modern, realistic, Iron Man, Hulk, Spidey filled world of the current Marvel film universe it feels too camp and massively out of place. Someone on CGTalk commented that it would be similar to having Superman appear in Nolan's Batman films.

gerry_g
07-31-2010, 06:15 AM
@biliousfrog
Are you honestly suggesting your list of characters are to be considered more plausible than Thor, then again I prefer Manga, American comic book characters seem so one dimensional by comparison, each to their own I guess

prometheus
07-31-2010, 07:52 AM
I might see this one actually because of the actors, I just love anthony hopkins, and Natalie portman even more soo:)
And it´s always interesting too see what stellan skarsgård is up to.

So what are to expect from this one? lot´s of thunder and lightning in the clouds from fights perhaps?, anyone seen any cool effects from it?

I guess this is sprung from marvel comics and not very much to do with a
story true too and based on ancient nordic myths?
would have been nice too see an actual on screen movie a little more based on older myths such as ragnarök.

O yeah we had a nice thunder and lightning the other day, the first one I heard and saw this year, and it´s nice when youre sleeping and waking up
to those hammerhead thunder booms rolling over the skies and how
the room is lit up of the lightning, cosy to enjoj while in bed but scary if your out somewhere on a plain field.

Michael

JeffrySG
07-31-2010, 08:46 AM
ahhh.... well I've always been a big THOR fan and collector and I really enjoy the new re-boot started by Straczynski. I've been worried about how THOR will fit into the new Avengers movie and his own movie and it's not looking good to tell you. I even hate how they make his hammer, Mjolnir look. Oh well. Maybe the movie will surprise me.

I liked the way my hammer came out better than what I'm seeing in that trailer... all LW of course: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffrysg/3047708249/

Until then pick up the new Thor series if you haven't the first 10 or so issues were really great.

prometheus
07-31-2010, 09:37 AM
did you know that the weekend day in swedish.. Torsdag (thursday) is named after tor.

I would have liked to see a poster in the old classic painting way with
a huge cloud environment and out from that emerges thor with a raised hand
and a huge hammer with some flashes sparkling around it..and in my mind
thor has a more older grey man look.

of course he emerges sitting in his wagoon with the goats(don´t know about those thou, could look just silly:)

I think I could spot the supreme god in there called Oden..wich is a good name to use in case of anyone should create a new web browser perhaps..or maybe it´s should be hugin&munin, those were the two ravens
that fly out in to the world and gather information wich they whispered to oden upon return.

Im a little bit surprised that these actors actually granted to participate in
this type of movie, must have been a really interesting manuscript.

When you hear of these kind of movies and a myth like this,it´s easy to
think..oh no, not a bad Xena vs gods adventures.

wasn´t there a zeus kind of movie recently with pierce brosnan?

Michael

Elmar Moelzer
07-31-2010, 09:47 AM
did you know that the weekend day in swedish.. Torsdag (thursday) is named after tor.
Thor is the god of thunder and in German it is Donnerstag (Thunderday).
;)

I watched the trailer and it seemed really horrible to me, I mean really, really horrible. What could have been done with this great piece of north mythology, gritty and gruesome battle scenes from the past and then a transition to the present. Instead... Oh dear. I cant even think about it.
Oh the horrors!

colkai
07-31-2010, 09:53 AM

Michael

Indeed, Wednesday came I think from Wodensday (Odins day), Friday was Freya, Saturns day, Moons day, Tyrs day. :)

Leastways, from a book I cherished as a kid, 365 things to know, that's how I remember them. Of course, it probably depends on which calander you follow. :)

Dexter2999
07-31-2010, 11:08 AM
I've seen the stills. I think Thor looks better than Captain America or the Green Lantern costume.

JeffrySG
07-31-2010, 12:09 PM
On 2nd viewing it may not be too bad... at least I hope so... and the destroyer at the end does look very cool.

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Reminds me of the terminator movie...instead of coming from the future, he comes from the land of gods :hey:

Kuzey

Mr Rid
07-31-2010, 05:33 PM
The trailer looks better than I expected. Most comic characters are inherently silly and its tricky to translate them into live action. This looks as well realized as could be expected for something as goofy as a muscle-bound 'god' with a fat hammer, sleeveless spandex, cape and winged helmet. I would not have even attempted. Viewers seem split on the believability of this one and comic fans are more accepting. Having read the comic as a kid I got a charge out of seeing Destroyer realized. How the whole suspension of disbelief thing works is always intriguing, and people are more automatically accepting of comic book pages, or animated film before a live action one.

Comedian Jordan Rubin had a funny bit about how he was sitting in Superman Returns and at the scene where the bullet bounces off Superman's eye, some guy sitting next to him goes, 'Yeah right' as if that was the moment where it all came apart for him. Like he's sitting there the whole time thinking to himself, 'Now, I can see this guy flying around... and that he's from Krypton... but that bullet off the eye, No way, c'mon.'

Suspension of disbelief

GregMalick
07-31-2010, 05:39 PM
That destroyer at the end looks so Jack Kirby-ish.
And that's a compliment.

Looks like fun entertainment to me.

Oh and I'm guessing this is now under the Disney umbrella...?

Cageman
07-31-2010, 06:09 PM
IMOH, I think Marvel did a great Iron Man movíe, and the reboot (so to speak) on Hulk was equally good. They need to keep things that way. Thor, as far as I've see, doesn't fall into that. Truth is, these comics should, more or less be R-Rated to keep it mature enough, not just what they say, but action as well. Lets face it, most of the fans of these types of movies are around 30 or 40 years old (strictly speaking about Marvel comics). Give us the stuff we are mature enough to see, instead of children-friendly versions of these heroes.

The only superhero movie I've seen that speaks to a more mature audience is Watchmen, and I really want Marvel to go in that direction as well.

Dodgy
07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
When I first saw the Thor costume in stills, I thought it looked too plasticy, and I had expected something more along the lines of lord of the rings, but after seeing Asgard, and the actual trailer I think it looks a lot better. I'm looking forward to this now and Chris Hemsworth really looks the part. In the line up with the other Avengers he was huge....

Mr Rid
07-31-2010, 10:42 PM
...Truth is, these comics should, more or less be R-Rated to keep it mature enough, not just what they say, but action as well. Lets face it, most of the fans of these types of movies are around 30 or 40 years old (strictly speaking about Marvel comics). Give us the stuff we are mature enough to see, instead of children-friendly versions of these heroes....

Some friends and I have always mused about an R rated Star Wars remake. But the reality is that R's rarely do big boxoffice (only 9 have made over $200mil) and are usually only desirable for horrors. An R rating might allow profit if the budgets were kept around $40 mil (Sin City) plus the usual $60+ mil for advertising (Avatar spent well over $200mil on ads alone). As much fun as it might be to see Chewbacca actually rip stormtrooper's arms out of their sockets, these spectacle movies cost too much for an R that would cut out a huge adolescent demographic they are well suited for.

geo_n
07-31-2010, 11:05 PM
So they went with high tech instead of mythology of norse gods.
It looks a bit typical down to earth super hero like hulk which was boring to watch. Why couldn't they make it more fantasy like silver surfer and gigantic cosmic gods.

Mr Rid
07-31-2010, 11:38 PM
...Why couldn't they make it more fantasy like silver surfer and gigantic cosmic gods.

I gave up expectations for movies after many dissapointments ago, and I try to take them for whatever they are. I enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies that most disliked (I wouldnt watch again), but BOY did they ever cop out by not showing the big G! Sheesh.

What shoulda-

erikals
08-01-2010, 02:06 AM
...it kind of sukked though that The Thing was so small :\

JeffrySG
08-01-2010, 07:21 AM
IMOH, I think Marvel did a great Iron Man movíe, and the reboot (so to speak) on Hulk was equally good. They need to keep things that way. Thor, as far as I've see, doesn't fall into that. Truth is, these comics should, more or less be R-Rated to keep it mature enough, not just what they say, but action as well. Lets face it, most of the fans of these types of movies are around 30 or 40 years old (strictly speaking about Marvel comics). Give us the stuff we are mature enough to see, instead of children-friendly versions of these heroes.

The only superhero movie I've seen that speaks to a more mature audience is Watchmen, and I really want Marvel to go in that direction as well.
Oh yes! I couldn't agree more! Especially with a THOR movie because most of the battle scenes can get very bloody. And I also agree re the watchmen movie.

When I first saw the Thor costume in stills, I thought it looked too plasticy, and I had expected something more along the lines of lord of the rings, but after seeing Asgard, and the actual trailer I think it looks a lot better. I'm looking forward to this now and Chris Hemsworth really looks the part. In the line up with the other Avengers he was huge....
I was thinking the same thing. I even said the same thing to my wife about the LOTR after the watching the trailer.

I gave up expectations for movies after many dissapointments ago, and I try to take them for whatever they are. I enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies that most disliked (I wouldnt watch again), but BOY did they ever cop out by not showing the big G! Sheesh.
What shoulda-
I couldn't even finish watching those movies. They totally screwed up two of the best characters in comics... Galactus and SS by having them in that crappy movie!