PDA

View Full Version : VT2 & VT3 Same System??

RayLarson
09-17-2003, 06:07 AM
I am running VT2 and I LOVE it. I have the T3 upgrade but have been reluctant to install it after reading some of the posts to this board. I did read a post concerning having both systems co-exist on the same box but it appeard that it was based on putting VT2 back on with VT3. My situation is exactly the opposite. I want to load T3 but maintain T2 so I can finish up some existing projects and also work with both systems for a while and keep my customers happy (everyone is always last minute). I certainly don't wait to mess up what I have that is working sooooo good. Any thoughts?? I am not a computer geek so re-partitioning and such would require some specific instructions. I am all ears...let me know.

Jim Capillo
09-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Ray, AFAIK, there are only a couple of small items that don't translate over to T[3] from T[2]. After testing, I brought all my T[2] projects up to date with T[3]..... no major problems - one or two projects had to be totally rebuilt, but IMHO, the T[3] benefits FAR outweigh the pain (and risk) of actual upgrading.

mgrusin
09-17-2003, 11:01 AM
AFAIK there are two ways to do this; dual partitions, and recently Dr. Cross posted a nifty way of doing it on a single partition. I've done the dual partition thing but I don't recommend trying it if you're not a computer geek (I am and it was still a pain). Dr. Cross' method seemed much easier, but if you're at all squeamish about any of this (it is possible to mess things up), I suggest asking your dealer or nearest usergroup for help.

That said, I'll echo Jim's comments that T3 really is pretty good at importing T2 projects. The one problem I've had was a project shot in PAL that was edited in NTSC (T3 handles the default size/aspect ratio differently than T2). Using things like the new toolchest, :D I could fix it in a few hours if necessary.

Good luck! -MG