PDA

View Full Version : My dilema

crashnburn
07-30-2010, 08:11 PM
I can't decide whether to buy a new laptop as my current one is very old or a netbook. I've looked at the 10.1" netbooks and 17.3" laptops. Can anyone who owns either or both that can help with pros and cons? Particularly in a practical sense for large laptops and very small netbooks.

Rayek
07-30-2010, 09:13 PM
In a plane during flight with my 17" Dell XPS: "hmmm, I wish I had a netbook to watch some movies. The damn thing does not fit on my lap!"

Working with Lightwave on my Asus Netbook: "hmmm, I wish I had my XPS now - this doesn't work at all for me" slow, tiny screen and hard to control".

Ergo: it depends on what you want to do with it. Netbooks are nice for surfing on the go, or while grabbing a cop of coffee at Starbucks. Or watching movies during a flight. Perhaps play some old games.

For anything remotely productive I use my desktop and large dual screen setup. If I need to go somewhere and be productive, I will take my xps.

Dexter2999
07-30-2010, 09:35 PM
IMO- Netbooks are more for entertainment. Movies (if you have an optical drive), email, web browsing.

For "work" you will want a serious laptop with a serious processor (not an ATOM).

Good Luck

crashnburn
07-31-2010, 05:40 AM
Thanks, I can see the plus points for both but can only afford one of them. Argh lol. Choices choices choices. Out of interest, do nettbooks get warm and in practise are their battery times good?

biliousfrog
07-31-2010, 05:56 AM
netbooks battery times are generally excellent...primarily because they aren't put under much strain by the very basic tasks they are designed for (word processing, emails, surfing, films etc.). Laptops generally consume more battery power because they have more power hungry components which are designed for processor intensive tasks.

Again, it comes down to what you want to do with it.

pauland
07-31-2010, 08:20 AM
If you're planning to run LW on a Netbook, I would think that would be a very poor decision.

crashnburn
07-31-2010, 02:53 PM
Erm.....no, lol. This is a general enquiry, the screen size, battery life etc are the particular types of issues I am trying to get practcal experience of.

Dexter2999
07-31-2010, 03:22 PM
Netbooks tend to be fairly small and have battery lives around 6 t eight hours depending on the model and make. They use less engery by using smaller screens and low rated CPU's in the ATOM family. A netbook screen is probably about a third of the size of a 17" laptop monitor. Bigger screens, faster CPU's mean shorter battery life. I know people who said they were getting almost 5 hours from brand new laptops but a year later were getting 3 1/2 to 4 hours. My roommate has a 17" hp laptop that is 5 years old and now his battery lasts about 15 minutes when unplugged.

WillBellJr
07-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Just get a decent 15" laptop - I have a DELL XPS 1530 and I was using CUDA and 3D-Coat on that before I was even able to use it on my desktop (I had to upgrade my desktop to a GTX275...)

My first laptop was a large 17" dell with the strongest processor I could find - it was a mistake! "Hott-n-Heavy" was a bear to lug around and I hated it - ever since, I've gone for small, strong and LITE!!

As metioned Netbooks are for cruising, not for doing graphics work - just get a decent 15" - reading high-res graphics on a 15" may leave you a little blind but at least you'll have the processing power for graphics work.

-Will

Rayek
07-31-2010, 07:10 PM
You want it all in a small package? And run 3d well? Get this:

http://www.alienware.com/Landings/m11x.aspx
http://gear.ign.com/articles/106/1065816p2.html

Receives very good reviews. I would like one of those, please. :P

biliousfrog
08-01-2010, 08:04 AM
My roommate has a 17" hp laptop that is 5 years old and now his battery lasts about 15 minutes when unplugged.

Li-Ion batteries have a 'memory'...they should be completely drained of power before recharging to retain their original power time. Battery tech has improved a lot and some manufacturers (Sony for example) use batteries without the memory effect for some devices but older batteries can lose their running time very quickly.

As a very simplified example - If you have a battery that lasts for 10hrs when new and recharge it after only 5hrs it will then only have a 100% charge time of 5hrs...if you recharge it again when the battery is 50% drained it will only hold a charge for 2.5hrs...etc.

I've had the same mobile phone for 5 years, I've always charged it only when it's almost totally drained and it still lasts over a week between charges. My girlfriend has her's plugged into her car almost all day, every day and the batteries are always useless within a year.

crashnburn
08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
Li-ion is the opposite, it is best to not fully discharge them, they don't work in the same way as ni-cads or nimhs which have to be fully discharged. Unfortunately Li-ions only like to go through th discharge recharge cycle around 300-500 times so a general lifetime of around 3 years is expected. I've been constantly topping up my sony ericsson mobile since around feb 2005 and it's okay as its battery lasts a week. Your girlfriend is having her issues because like many new phones, as I'm finding with my HTC Desire I need to recharge every other day and sometimes every day. This means within a year your into the batteries lower limit for it's life span. The older phones don't hit this for atleast a few years due to less frequent re-charging.

geo_n
08-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I think better get a laptop than a netbook. There's no way you can do any 3d with netbooks even modelling more than 2k poly is out of the question.

This looks cheap with corei5 and nvidia 310m
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000124849/spec/
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000130266/

My old laptop had an nvidia 8400 card with a core2duo 2.1ghz and I was able to model cars and do some archiviz renders comfortably. No animation ofcourse, but with the nvidia card it was possible to do 3d. My hp netbook I installed lw and couldn't get decent performance with a 2000poly. Not even subd. Lol! Now I don't touch it because I can surf through Iphone.

geo_n
08-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Li-Ion batteries have a 'memory'...they should be completely drained of power before recharging to retain their original power time. .

That's the last thing you would want to do for lipoly, lion.
Always have them 70% charged and 90% charged when storing for long periods. My hobby was rc cars and planes and before lipoly,lion we used nicd and nimh which needed to be 0volts before charging. Each cell must be equalized,etc to get the best out of those batteries and prolonged lifespan because some would discharge to a negative volt unlike lipoly which are almost the same voltage drain for each cell.

crashnburn
08-01-2010, 09:06 AM
I think better get a laptop than a netbook. There's no way you can do any 3d with netbooks even modelling more than 2k poly is out of the question.

This looks cheap with corei5 and nvidia 310m
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000124849/spec/
http://kakaku.com/item/K0000130266/

My old laptop had an nvidia 8400 card with a core2duo 2.1ghz and I was able to model cars and do some archiviz renders comfortably. No animation ofcourse, but with the nvidia card it was possible to do 3d. My hp netbook I installed lw and couldn't get decent performance with a 2000poly. Not even subd. Lol! Now I don't touch it because I can surf through Iphone.

Yeah, I'm thinking down the laptop route. Not so much to use Lightwave but due to the small size of nettbook screens being a little too small for my use. And like usually happens, if I don't have the capability to run Lightwave I'll probably want to lol.:D

crashnburn
08-01-2010, 09:38 AM
My hobby was rc cars and planes and before lipoly,lion we used nicd and nimh which needed to be 0volts before charging. Each cell must be equalized,etc to get the best out of those batteries and prolonged lifespan because some would discharge to a negative volt unlike lipoly which are almost the same voltage drain for each cell.

I used to have RC boats as a hobby. We once had a nimh cell powered boat explode due to the batteries giving off hydrogen and it building up in the sealed hull. BANG! The poor lad racing had just won too lol.

biliousfrog
08-02-2010, 03:59 AM
Li-ion is the opposite, it is best to not fully discharge them, they don't work in the same way as ni-cads or nimhs which have to be fully discharged. Unfortunately Li-ions only like to go through th discharge recharge cycle around 300-500 times so a general lifetime of around 3 years is expected. I've been constantly topping up my sony ericsson mobile since around feb 2005 and it's okay as its battery lasts a week. Your girlfriend is having her issues because like many new phones, as I'm finding with my HTC Desire I need to recharge every other day and sometimes every day. This means within a year your into the batteries lower limit for it's life span. The older phones don't hit this for atleast a few years due to less frequent re-charging.

I apologise, I'm obviously getting confused with Nimh's

crashnburn
08-02-2010, 04:29 AM
Doh, lol, it's easily done. There's that many battery types about.

akademus
08-02-2010, 04:32 AM
I have my eye on this one for mobile desktop replacement.

http://laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/qosmio/X500

There is a version with SSD which makes it really bloody fast :)

archijam
08-02-2010, 07:11 AM
Check out the HP TouchSmart tm2t or similar .. 12.1" touchscreen.

I have it's predecessor, the very plastic feeling tx2 - but the new ones have a metal body and feel very nice.

(i didn't see it before buying, they didn't sell the tx2 in switzerland - bought over net)

Although i had low expectations for the 3d performance, the nvidia card flies, and i run lw with a second monitor (no hdmi unfortunately). 3d games ran fine in my tests, tho the small screen helps ;) .. torchlight + bioshock.

But check it out in the flesh first .. HP like to graffiti on their laptops : P ...