PDA

View Full Version : plugin for creating edges?

freedik
09-17-2003, 06:00 AM
I wonder if anyone knows a plugin that would be able to double edges, as shown in the pic. It is obvious that this kind of plugin would be very handy if you need to increase subpatch detail for example.

I have felt need for it many times, but haven't found. I have some plugins that are close, such as Fi's Extender(works great on edges, but not in the middle of mesh) , Fi's Wrinkle (makes too many edges :) ) and AddEdges (not precise, manual). And the good ol' Bandsaw of course(could work in RARE cases I guess). But none of them does exactly what I'm talking about.

jb_gfx
09-17-2003, 07:09 AM
Edge Tool by DStorm is just what you want:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/modeler-e.html#EdgeTool
It includes the AddEdges you are refearing too, wich is VERY precise when you take 5minutes to figure out how it works.

Did you ever dare to press the 'n' shortcut while working with it? Yeah.. try the grid snap option in ratio mode and you can use it almost like bandsaw with much more control, cool isn't it?

There is also a nice complement called "DAZ EgdeBevel", both are free plugins.

You can use www.flay.com plugins database to search for Daz's EdgeBevel.

In a general way looks at Flay when you are looking for something like that, that will save you the time to post here and wait for an answer and will keep this board clean (you could try the search function of the board too), specially for subjects that has been discussed a million time. :P

EDIT: I'm not specially a fan of EdgeTools tho. For kind of manipulations I'd better go with Bandsaw then add and/or merge a few points.

freedik
09-17-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jb_gfx
Edge Tool by DStorm is just what you want:
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/dslib/modeler-e.html#EdgeTool
It includes the AddEdges you are refearing too, wich is VERY precise when you take 5minutes to figure out how it works.

Did you ever dare to press the 'n' shortcut while working with it? Yeah.. try the grid snap option in ratio mode and you can use it almost like bandsaw with much more control, cool isn't it?

There is also a nice complement called "DAZ EgdeBevel", both are free plugins.

You can use www.flay.com plugins database to search for Daz's EdgeBevel.

In a general way looks at Flay when you are looking for something like that, that will save you the time to post here and wait for an answer and will keep this board clean (you could try the search function of the board too), specially for subjects that has been discussed a million time. :P

EDIT: I'm not specially a fan of EdgeTools tho. For kind of manipulations I'd better go with Bandsaw then add and/or merge a few points.

That edgebevel is supposed to do what I want but unfortunately it doesnt work with my LW for some reason. Thanks for the effort though.
I've been using AddEdge for ages, but not this way. It seems to have weird concept about where some poly edges begin and end :)
Thanks for the effort though.
Oh and I'm so sorry for posting this thread, I'll go back to flay and start searching for second time among those countless plugins which either crash LW or just don't do what I need. Probably won't find anything but I can't keep spamming the forums you know...
Also, could you point me at least one thread among those millions that you mentioned?

Just forget this whole thing... :rolleyes:

Matt
09-17-2003, 09:50 AM
I just wish Modeller had a tool done like this . . .

Capt Lightwave
09-17-2003, 04:57 PM
How about this one?
http://plaza17.mbn.or.jp/~PICTRIX/lw/mem/ExpPoly/index.html

freedik
09-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Matt, did you produce this picture to tease me :D? Or is it an actual plugin?

Capt, I understand that this plugin available only if I purchase some stuff from this site.

When I created this topic I had in mind something like Fi's_OExtender(extremely handy), which would also work in the middle of the mesh. Or something like EdgeOpener which would create polys instead of leaving blank. Doesn't seem too hard to implement but unfortunately I'm not much of a LW programmer :).
Fi's Jigsaw almost does the job but it seems to depend on poly selecting order :(

I guess I have to settle for what I have. Thanks for attention.

Matt
09-18-2003, 02:22 AM
sorry freedik it's photoshop! but if somone coded a plugin like this it would be fantastic, I'd buy it!

Capt Lightwave, there are some good plugins on the PICTRIX site, but the one you mention only works with flat polys by the looks of it.

I really need one that works on anything, 2D, 3D, closed loop, single edges etc.

Capt Lightwave
09-18-2003, 10:06 AM
Damn, You're absolutely right sir.
It only works on ONE polygon....or the first selected...not as useful as I had hoped.

madrenderman
09-25-2003, 04:10 PM
jigsaw plugin is the answer