PDA

View Full Version : Solid state drives? advantages for Lightwave

littlewaves
07-30-2010, 04:53 AM
I pondered on this in another thread but thought I'd start a new one in the hope it attracts the attention of someone who might have some technical insight

The new Mac Pros and iMacs have options for solid state drives (quite pricey). Here's what Apple say

Choose solid-state for ultimate performance.
New to the Mac Pro is the option to add up to four 512GB solid-state drives or any combination of solid-state and hard drives. Solid-state drives have no moving parts and are capable of accessing data at speeds up to 230MB per second, which is up to twice the speed of hard drives. The result? Incredible performance on a range of data-intensive tasks, including up to 2x faster ProRes video encoding using solid-state drives compared with hard drives.

Basically what I'm wondering is would these have benefits to Lightwave users? I'm thinking maybe rendering or other calculations like dynamics and radiosity could be faster? Do these come under the "data-intensive tasks" heading?

Cageman
07-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Any type of intense harddrive usage will benefit from using solidstate. For example, if you have lots of characters transfered from Maya to LW using PointOven, you will have lots of MDDs streaming data from disk.

dwburman
08-06-2010, 02:20 AM
Right. What Cageman said. I don't think it'd speed up render times much for most scenes... at least not the scenes I work with.

Video editing/compression, Viewing image sequences, and Loading large scenes would benefit from the faster drives.

The other way it could help render times would be if you don't enough RAM and the virtual memory kicks in... of course at that point you'd probably be better off spending the money on RAM rather than a fast HDD (SSD).