PDA

View Full Version : Model of a Sculpture?!

luke
09-17-2003, 03:46 AM
Hello,

Firstly I hope this is the correct group to ask this question in!

Secondly, I need to make a model of the Royal television Society logo (RTS). It is basically a sculpted head and is fairly complex, mixing smooth facial contours with straight non-organic lines/bars. It'll have to look pretty much perfect but I haven't made any heads before (except basic cartoony ones). Is this a big job to model or are there any tricks? I was wondering whether I could use black and white image map and create the contours through the different shading?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

sannyasi
09-17-2003, 05:07 PM
I've attached an image I found off google, (think its the right one)
I would say first that you should probably locate some tutorials on modeling a head, (sorry i don't have any links) The first one I did was out of the Inside Lightwave 6.0 book by Dan Ablan. It covered point by point modeling where you start (usually at an eye) and extrude the edges of the polys outward to form the head. This is the meathod I tend to prefer, but there is also box modeling patch modeling, and other methods. Really does depend on what your making. Since that logo isn't very complicated you may want to start off box modeling. Point by Point is just a lot better for controling your mesh IMHO.

For the sharper edges you can turn up the subpatch weight on the verticies of the bars and that will give you the crisp edge.

omeone
09-18-2003, 01:42 AM
Hi Luke,

If you actually have a sculpture copy available to you.
I think probably the easiest, fastest,most accurate and most expensive is way is to use a 3D Scanner. There are some companies willing to charge you an arm and a leg for this service.

Second for ease, accuracy and expense would be to use an Image based modeling program, such as Realviz ImageModeler or Eos Photomodeler.

LAstly if your not able to spend any more money and have some time. You'll just have to try and take some ortographic photos of the sculpture and use them as background images in modeler and try to work from there.

Personally I prefer using splines but everyone has their own taste here. check splinegod's site for some free spline modelling video tutorials. Newtek also have some other head modelling method tutorials on their tutorials pages.

I think that logo will be a good introduction to head modelling for someone, it's not too complex, and you wont have to worry about sufacing too much.

luke
09-19-2003, 08:18 AM
Thanks for all the ideas and help!

I have had a look at the Dan Alban book and think I need to do some proper research into these techniques. I had briefly looked into his head tutorials before but had to drop it as other priorities came along... I think I may use this as an opportunity to go back to them.

I've also looked into scanners and other programmes e.g Realviz and Photomodeler which look really useful (I've downloaded the Imagemodeler demo). What about Poser? Does this have a facility for creating models from photograhs?

BeeVee
09-19-2003, 08:25 AM
Have a look at your private messages! :) And no, Poser can't model anything.

B