PDA

View Full Version : best hardware for LW 10?

ece3k
07-28-2010, 01:15 PM
HEllo,
I am looking to buy a new computer and was wondering if V10 works better on Nvidia or ATI? Does it use SLI or crossfire?
Thanks,
Erik

Hopper
07-28-2010, 01:58 PM
1. nVidia.
2. No.

It does use your GPU, but not "SLI" - that is completely different. You can find more info and specs on the Core/LW10 page.

ece3k
07-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Thanks. Follow up question......how much advantage is it to go with a Quadra card (like a 3800) over a high end gaming card? Worth the dollars?
Thanks,
Erik

Hopper
07-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Worth the dollars?
Nope. Not if your focus is on LW. CAD and other like-apps will use the benefit of the professional cards. LW will not (at this time anyway).

ece3k
07-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks again. Very helpful.
Erik

prometheus
07-29-2010, 01:11 AM
You might check this thread
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110670

I was also confused if I should go with pro cards like quadrofx 3800 or
using a cheaper card such ast gtx 480.

gtx 260 and 275 has been recommended aswell, they are even cheaper than 480 and less heat.

Kat(djlithium) has a demo somewhere on battlestargalactica vfx
where he demostrates a sparkle gtx 275 card wich he was very impressed with, so the pro cards arenīt absolutly neccessary.

No one has really described it deeply in technical performance view on why
quadro fx 3800 would be so much better than a gtx 480.

and many people just comments on that lightwave doesnt utilize the videocards enough, but thatīs a little narrow kind of thinking..heck you probably are thinking about future stuff and perhaps other apps, so just narrowing down to lightwave might not be so good.

forget about ati, go with nvidia.
I decided to go for the gtx 480 card instead of quadro 3800, partly because of the price, it has much more gpu cores for faster gpu rendering
even thou thereīs not many renderers out there yet, but octane renderer looks promising, and octane has an recomendation to use gtx 470-480 for best price performance.

i believe that upcoming bullet simulation engine in lightwave core will be utilizing cuda and gpu cores, so maybe the gtx 480 will perform better than a quadro card.
houdini also has the bullet enginge.

I also belive that after effects might utilize gpu for faster effect filters.

Now quadro probably has some features and viewport enhancements that
exceeds the gtx cards, but exactly what and how much I really donīt know, thereīs a pdf document somewhere from nvidia describing differences between using a gtx card and a quadro card.

Also the drivers for quadro are certified and tested with different 3d apps while gtx probably are not.

I just ordered the gtx 460 to use here at work doing renders of gymmachines with lightwave and we also use solidworks.
Im getting the gtx 480 at home thou, since i wanted the higher onboard videocard memory.
I currently has an older quadro fx 1100 card, but with no cuda support and itīs quite old.
so Ill check out and compare when our new cards arrive within a couple of days.

get a good 17 core processor also, and something around 8-12 gb of ram memory.

Edit...o by the way, I also believe 3dcoat might take advantages of cuda or gpu processing for itīs voxel engine, I believe the
author is about to test the gtx 480 cards.

Michael