PDA

View Full Version : I love lightwave 10

rednova
07-28-2010, 08:30 AM
Dear Friends:

I have original upgrade to lw 9.6 and I love it very much.
I did not care much for CORE, it looks strange to me and is
very different. But to see lightwave 10 coming up, it makes me
feel good again !!!
I am happy the lightwave upgrades will keep going, and not
just change to a new Hardcore program.
I already love the new lightwave 10.
Newtek: please keep upgrading the lightwave so that I can still
know my way around and not change the whole thing.
I love lightwave !!!

Rednova

bugzilla
07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
That realtime render option (like FPrime, but native to the app) might make it worth it for me by itself.

realgray
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
I like it too. But honestly the upgrade prices seem a bit high for a software that was 895.00. The features are a little light, (except for previs). I love lightwave, but I think I'm going to be looking around.

Cageman
07-29-2010, 04:15 PM
I like it too. But honestly the upgrade prices seem a bit high for a software that was 895.00. The features are a little light, (except for previs). I love lightwave, but I think I'm going to be looking around.

For the price you pay for other apps, you are going to find LWs $495 upgrade quite inexpensive, if you don't settle with Blender of course. Don't forget that if you upgrade within Q4 this year, you will automaticly settle upgradeprice to $495 for the next comming 5 versions.

:)

realgray
07-29-2010, 10:18 PM
I think I would be quicker to purchase if they repeated the Siggraph videos in OSX. I would like to know how stable the Mac version is to the windows version. There are some impressive things in this release and I wish Newtek the best. I'm just not happy about being punished for wanting to try it first. The more faith you have the less it costs?

shrox
07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
Ok, what is Lightwave 10, the next in line after 9.6? Or is it Core?

Cageman
07-30-2010, 12:01 PM
Its Layout, Modeler and CORE

stevecullum
07-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Newtek: please keep upgrading the lightwave so that I can still
know my way around and not change the whole thing.
I love lightwave !!!

I suspect Lightwave classic will be around for some time to come. However, with them bundling CORE, Modeler and Layout together, it gives everyone a chance to get used to the new architecture. There are a couple of things I can see myself using CORE for, but mainly the dynamics stuff for now. I think as folks get used to CORE and the program grows, it will become less a companion and more front runner. And judging by this years Siggraph, I would say Newtek has a bright future. :)

Intuition
07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
I am repeating myself again but I believe that NTshould continue LW classic as a product indefinitly. While also developing Core as a full app side by side. AD sells multiple product lines. Why can't NT?

I say that regardless of the fact that I want Core dev to be the focus I can't help but think that LW classic shouldn't be left to die either. Especially now that LW10 with vpr is performing so well.

hrgiger
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM
I am repeating myself again but I believe that NTshould continue LW classic as a product indefinitly. While also developing Core as a full app side by side. AD sells multiple product lines. Why can't NT?

I say that regardless of the fact that I want Core dev to be the focus I can't help but think that LW classic shouldn't be left to die either. Especially now that LW10 with vpr is performing so well.

Once CORE is ready to take over, I see no reason to continue developing Lightwave/Modeler. Maintained for a while? Sure. Developed further? Seems counter-productive.

As far as AD does it so why can't NT... There are lots of things AD does that I'm glad NT does not do.

Nicolas Jordan
07-30-2010, 05:54 PM

I think that's a good idea. Even after Core can stand alone in a few years the dev team could still put 5-15% of their developments efforts into maintaining the classic Ligthwave and adding occasional small enhancements and additional features as needed.

stevenpalomino
07-30-2010, 08:12 PM

I totally agree with this. One of the things I like about LW is being able to split up the process into modeler/layout. Although I'm sure in a few years NT will make Core more production proven and who knows.. we might warm up to it ;)

dwburman
07-30-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah, when I first bought LW I paid over $2,000 for the LW and Aura Bundle.

hrgiger
07-30-2010, 09:20 PM
I totally agree with this. One of the things I like about LW is being able to split up the process into modeler/layout. Although I'm sure in a few years NT will make Core more production proven and who knows.. we might warm up to it ;)

Once you see the benefits of truly integrating modeling functions with animation functions, you may think differently. Besides, currently you can already do this in CORE by switching from modeling workspace to animate workspace.

aidenvfx
07-30-2010, 09:33 PM
With the VPR, bullet and hopefully great UV tools I would say this is a pretty major update.

LW_Will
07-31-2010, 01:49 AM
Best thing at the show IMHO.

prometheus
07-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Dam..I want to see a VPR with volumetrics lights in the scene and voxels.

A VPR that renders absolutly everything it can in an environment, that is
good in case it someday getīs updated environment tools such as skytracer or ogo taiki.
Its one of those things needed to better compete with vue 8.5
and Houdiniīs abilities to show volumetrics in opengl.

But ya..itīs cool as it is now, but please newtek..make it hotter:)

Michael

geo_n
07-31-2010, 02:29 PM

I agree. We reuse scenes and assets all the time at work. I've used lw files from 2002 when I didn't know anything about 3d and old artists made them and still good today for fast paced tv productions.
People have already invested time and money to do animations and effects that can be reused for other projects. Why redo from scratch?

rednova
08-02-2010, 12:44 PM
Dear Friends:

I would love it very much if lightwave classic continues
to be developed.
Thank you !!!

Rednova

Shawn Farrell
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I just bought 9.6 about 4 months ago and have a core membership, does that mean I get a free copy of 10 & CORE?:help:

bugzilla
08-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Does anyone know if LW 10 viewport renderer also shows motion blur? I can't find any mention in the LW 10 brochure about that item.

Lor
08-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Does anyone know if LW 10 viewport renderer also shows motion blur? I can't find any mention in the LW 10 brochure about that item.

Not currently. Hopefully it will though. VPR also does not show area, spherical of photometric lights yet. All render as point lights. Probably not linear either.

lor

Infinite
08-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I would be happy to pay the upgrade price. Newtek need the support and following of dedicated LW users. Lightwave has been and shall be for a long time an awesome piece of kit.

Congrats on the rejuvenation, booth and presentation at Siggraph Newtek! A real triumph from what I have seen and heard.

Very inspiring and a real turn around :thumbsup::lwicon:

moc
08-04-2010, 12:19 PM
I think my company can get the v10 pack upgrade for free too,because we bought v9.6 at November last year.
although I really enjoyed working at LW.
But I need to say,
Anything does make v10 so nice?
1.Interactive Display and Rendering Tools
Nowaday,we can do the realtime rendering by Fprime over 75% functional as VPR.
(sorry,although fprime was a commercial plugin,but I think if you need this realtime rendering solution,you must buy fprime for a light year ago.)
2.Data Interchange Enhancements
MDD,FBX.COLLADA ,zbrush UV transfer,advance obj info transfer...
Both we had free tools now or a half functional version.So this is just an improvement.
3.New Immersive, Real-Time and Game Tools
Support Vcam looked a further step.
beside that,Do we gain much advantage at a 6D mouse supporting? .
3.Bullet Rigid Body Dynamics
Need further looking.
4.UV Mapping Tools
A promise tools for v9.5?We finally got.Hope them will work better than PLG UV tools pack.

As someone said.
LW real need so much big improvement to uptoday.

a.instance...
b.nice UV tools,
c.better rig workflow.(combination bones,weight map drawing,deformation speed,weight map viewable,)
d.native painting tools.(we have VPR and no direct painting function,why?Pls don't say this need redevelop whole ware from the begin.)
e.Sculpt tools(a simple one just fine.)
f.direct touch the model at layout ,as you know drag point,edge,polygon...(I beged you don't say the softFX edit tools method)
g....much and more..

All above we know them,and wish them appear.
There 're much big weakness need to solve.
And still wainting for.

Bros,I don't want to bother anyone.
But Newtek need to know the selling point of v10 wasn't much attractive at all.

All core showed didn't cover the weakness at the above or a killer tools there.
We paid for faith only?

adamredwoods
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM
+1 for instancing.

I know it's in LW Core, but if LW10 is based off of LW9, then I don't think there's instancing in it. :(

*Pete*
08-04-2010, 01:49 PM
Ok, what is Lightwave 10, the next in line after 9.6? Or is it Core?

yes....it is.

Kuzey
08-04-2010, 02:00 PM
+1 for instancing.

I know it's in LW Core, but if LW10 is based off of LW9, then I don't think there's instancing in it. :(

The same thing goes for the High polygon count feature...yes in Core, no in LW10.

Kuzey

Ivan_B
08-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Hi All,

I too love Lightwave 10...not sure about core.

ALL my plugins work with LW 10.

I have:
HD instance 2.1, Vehicle rigger, Rope editor plus, jimmy rigger, Poly coloring, crackit, edge slide etc etc...and they ALL work!!! with LW 10 (not talking about core).

I am beside myself, cos I bought HD instance just before Lightwave hardcore and thought it wouldn't work.

Gonna need some video tutorials for core...struggled to make a box...LOL!

CaptainMarlowe
08-12-2010, 12:10 AM
Hi All,

ALL my plugins work with LW 10.

I have:
HD instance 2.1, Vehicle rigger, Rope editor plus, jimmy rigger, Poly coloring, crackit, edge slide etc etc...and they ALL work!!! with LW 10 (not talking about core).

I am beside myself, cos I bought HD instance just before Lightwave hardcore and thought it wouldn't work.

Good news. HD Instance is my most used plug-in with LWCAD.
Hopefully, it will encourage Graham to develop a 64-Bits version of HDI for Mac, because for the moment, unfortunately, I don't have the feeling he is planning to do so in the short term.

Ivan_B
08-12-2010, 12:47 AM
HD Instance is my most used plug-in with LWCAD.

Two cracking plugins!!...LWCAD is my next plugin!

lardbros
08-12-2010, 02:25 AM
I wish c4 still worked though... it was incredible! Crackit is good, but not up there with C4 and it doesn't work properly in 64-bit 9.6 either.

prometheus
08-12-2010, 02:59 AM
was there ever a bullet physics demonstration at siggraph?

I really loved to see whatīs going on with lightwave 10, but yeah
feature wise itīs lightweight, a combined core demostration of bullet physics and some of the node editing would be so much more attractive to show off as a selling point, and get some more people in on it.

or is those sigghraph videos all there is?

Michael

-EsHrA-
08-12-2010, 09:08 AM
will Worley now go bust?..

mlon