PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Set & recorded Video

hughdemand
07-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Hi

As a Tricaster Pro newbie :help:, I would like to know if I could tape the talent in front of a "blue" background, then take the video over to the studio & use that video as a input to a virtual set and then record the output, which would be the talent sitting at a virtual sports desk?

I am thinking of once a week having my 'sports" oriented blog be a video.

Thanks

Don't actually have my hands on the Tricaster Pro yet, thus the question.

SBowie
07-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Sure, this would work.

hughdemand
07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks Steve

Whit

Can hardly wait for the Tricaster Pro to arrive.

joseburgos
07-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Sure it will work but hard to be sure the key will be good. If you have access to compositing software like After Effects, check to see how well it keys it in post and adjust lighting as needed. Would hate for you to do a lot of shoots and then not be happy with the key when you use LiveMatte.
Obviously you understand the beauty of a TriCaster being able to see how ell the key is is real time but unless you have a lot of experience doing chroma keying, proceed with caution.

jmmultex
08-03-2010, 11:32 AM
One thing to consider with the workflow you describe would be the introduction of compression artifacts from the recording that could end up hurting your key.

Based on the codec of your recording format, you could end up adding blockiness and noise to your image. This is especially true around elements where the codec will be less efficient - places like sharp transitions (like the boundary between the talent and the backdrop) or sudden intraframe motions. Those could translate to a problematic edges with your key.

Also keep in mind that with any 4:1:1 colorspace codec, you will end up with less information for the Blue channel then you would for the Green channel - potentially creating additional challenges keying against a blue screen. If this is the case for you, I would probably recommend switching over to a green backdrop to make keying a little easier.

That said, this is certainly a workable approach, but it will be less forgiving. Be sure you pay a lot of attention to lighting the screen evenly, spacing the talent far enough away to minimize spill, and using a rim light to better define the talent.

Happy to discuss this more if you'd like...

Good Luck!

John

bbeanan
08-03-2010, 12:25 PM
personally I would avoid this at all costs... you will literally spend 3 to 4 times as long to do the work than just doing it live (just do a million takes if you need to...)

Like the other guys have said you lose a lot when you go to tape or any other storage device unless it is capturing at full uncompressed 4:4:4 video which I highly doubt.

SBowie
08-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Uncompressed is always nice, and there's a good case for doing the keying live. But you can do a nice job of keying with footage recorded using TriCaster's 4:2:2 Studio profile. DV is another matter, of course ... not hopeless, but not my choice, either.

hughdemand
08-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all the great advice. I am still waiting ( I think the order is finally being processed today) for the TC Pro and I will be using a new Sony NX5U camera and recording to the disk, I am hoping that quality will be fine.

Thanks for the advice, I will probably be back once the gear is here!

Thanks

Whit

eracer
08-27-2010, 10:55 AM
That camera records AVCHD format. It can record Standard Definition, but it will still be AVCCAM footage (I believe) and will need to be transcoded before trying to do anything with it in the Tricaster.

I'm not sure what the best format would be. Maybe a standard definition MPEG-2 or AVI. You'll need to experiment to see what the Tricaster will accept.

I recommend AVS4 for the converter, although I've never used it for converting AVCCAM footage imported into a Tricaster.