PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave needs a 3d paint solution asap

G3D
09-16-2003, 11:00 PM
I downloaded Maxon's Bodypaint demo after hearing that the 2.0 version "Rocks!"
Not.
I ordered Bodypaint a week ago and its still being shipped, so I downloaded the demo to get a headstart. I'm thinking of canceling the order at this point.
It has some promising features, but a a whole, its like a mirage. Its also far too slow to be usable for anything moderatley compelx. Even on a dual 2.5ghz Dell with gobs of ram(2 gigs) its a dog. Even the simple models provided with the software make the PC choke. (I have no trouble with any other software--like LW--on the same PC)

Has anyone here tried the competition? I've heard about Deep Paint and Z-Brush, but I wonder if they can work with LW's UVs or save UVs that LW can use. I can't believe that NewTek hasn't taken advantage of this part of the 3d market that really needs more choices.

Mylenium
09-16-2003, 11:42 PM
Deep Paint is much better than Bodypaint imho. I tried the demo a while ago, and liked it very much (I never bought it 'cos being a technical modeling and animation guy I would only use it once a year). The problem there would only be that the workflow is more optimized towards Maya and MAX so it takes still a little mor thinking to use it with LW. Another downside may be that there doesn't seem to be that much development work going on. It's been quite a while since I heard of any updates....

Mylenium

jb_gfx
09-17-2003, 01:58 AM
I tested BodyPaint long time ago (v1.0) and we had Deep-Paint3D at my old company.

Imho 3D painting is not very usefull (yet?) both program are slow and needs a lot of ressources. DP3D is also buggy as hell. Also I don't find painting directly over a 3D model is very precise, you'll still have to tweak the result in 2D.

I'd prefer an approch like Ghost Painter 2 for 3DSMax wich is much more productive and realist (as opposed to 3D painting packages wih are just toys imho).

We had a roughly designed clone of GP in the name of the LightWave exchange plugin avaibles in Aura 2.5b alas it's far from being finished and a Photoshop version would be much more usefull (or both s everybody would be happy).

Link to Ghost Painter 2 description:
http://www.cebas.com/products/products.asp?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=5

G3D
09-17-2003, 02:48 AM
...downloaded Z-brush...oh boy. The worst, most irritating interface I've seen since Amapi. And after five minutes, I realized it might not even be a true 3d app; I found no sign of a moveable camera or any way to change a view or perspective.

I'm afraid the last poster is right; the only way to UV map is the hit and miss method. Either that or Deep Paint.

I also found out that Bodypaint doesn't even ship with a manual, you have to spend 50 euros to get that. Times have changed.

freedik
09-17-2003, 05:48 AM
I've tried Bodypaint, Deep Paint and Z-brush.

Bodypaint was definitely the best experience. Even though I have an ancient video card, it wasn't too bad with 2000x2000 textures. I don't remember anything annoying about this program, and that's a huge compliment :). Oh yea, zooming-navigating was messed with Wacom but that's not too hard to overcome.

Deep Paint - lots of trouble to get it working hand-in-hand with LW. If i remember correctly, I had to triple polys and do some other voodoo. Gave up pretty quick.

Z-brush. First thought was "what the hell is this?". After messing it for a while I still couldn't get it to make anything reasonable. I'm not even positive any more if it's a 3d paint program, I was under that impression when I got the demo. I have seen some nice works done with it though, and it seemed to have some interesting blending techniques.

But nothing replaces Photoshop and Corel, of course. I was just trying to reduce all that "guess drawing".

gjjackson
09-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by G3D
I also found out that Bodypaint doesn't even ship with a manual, you have to spend 50 euros to get that. Times have changed.

I'm surprised. I did get a manual with BodyPaint. I've used it quite a bit and been quite satisfied. I've no problems with it bogging down, with a P4 2.6G ; 1G ram.; ATI 9500.

prospector
09-17-2003, 09:47 AM
Yep, we need Aura incorporated into modeler.

Tried Deep Paint.. only use it now for making UVs then paint in Photoshop
Tried the new Bodypaint...n'uff said about that
tried Z-Brush..pfft

so it's down to making UVs outside of LW (only cuz of the interactive mapping in Deep Paint)

C'MON Newtek !!! get Aura involved bigtime in modeler!!!

papou
09-17-2003, 11:48 AM
yes please! Aura for both modeler and Layout.
(coz i use Layout&Viper to texture)...aaaaaa....we need so much....

G3D
09-29-2003, 12:46 PM
I was incorrect, it did come with a manual. The reseller I purchased from incorrectly told me the manual was extra $$.

However, Bodypaint has lots of issues with Lightwave:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=4878&highlight=Bodypaint