PDA

View Full Version : LightWave 10 to be announced in Siggraph !!!

caesar
07-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Look above the images in the top of the banner! :newtek:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4666423&id=16090743805

3D Kiwi
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
So lightwave 10 is the Modeler, Layout, Core mix? Or is it just the next version of Lightwave as we know it now?

calilifestyle
07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
cant wait. i'll be there Wednesday, if i see anything good i might ustream ... but i'm not sure if i'll be able to. since i don't how well my 3g will be

calilifestyle
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
um lightwave 10 now with core tech?

caesar
07-26-2010, 08:37 PM
3 apps I think so

caesar
07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
I saw it first !!!! May I win a copy????:thumbsup:

rdolishny
07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Why does Newtek show characters, when everyone knows character animation in LW is so weak? Fingers crossed, I suppose.

3D Kiwi
07-26-2010, 08:46 PM
I saw it first !!!! May I win a copy????:thumbsup:

Sure can just go here http://shop.newtek.com/lightwave3d.aspx fill out the details and its all yours :-)

caesar
07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
Sure can just go here http://shop.newtek.com/lightwave3d.aspx fill out the details and its all yours :-)

Man, you broke my heart....

h2oStudios
07-26-2010, 08:54 PM
Why does Newtek show characters, when everyone knows character animation in LW is so weak? Fingers crossed, I suppose.

lmao... ooooo, I know you said that for kicks... idk, seems like an NT thing. they always put characters on stuff.

Look above the images! :newtek:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4666423&id=16090743805

Wait, now where the hell do you get LW 10 out of that link? All i see is 2 photos (one with monumental banners) from Siggragh. Or did this one just fly right over my head, lol.

3D Kiwi
07-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Look at the banner on the left you can see a big 10.

h2oStudios
07-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Look at the banner on the left you can see a big 10.

LOL, oh sh*t... Wow, maybe i need glasses, lol. Or I should take off my shades from time to time.

Now that does pose a few things to ponder...

Cageman
07-26-2010, 09:11 PM

Why are there models in Messiah when we know that it doesn't even have modeling tools!?

EDIT: My point here is that you are reading way to much into what is shown. LW is notoriosuly known for Sci-Fi Hardbody work, breaking that stigma is a good thing, imho. Wether or not someone is able to rig/animate in LW is one thing, but we all know that it is a good poly modeler, but many may not be aware of how much the rendering and shading have really progressed.

3D Kiwi
Its all good, It took me a while esp after seeing words Lightwave and Animate in the same picture. Kind of threw me for a second.

hrgiger
Lightwave 10? Holy crap!

Ok, I already knew about that...

caesar
07-26-2010, 09:19 PM
Lightwave 10? Holy crap!

Ok, I already knew about that...

People with Hardcore membership knew something about it? I knew NT bought the url some years ago

gristle
07-26-2010, 09:38 PM
Bit more here

http://www.cgchannel.com/2010/07/lightwave-10-announced/

calilifestyle
07-26-2010, 10:16 PM
Bit more here

damn that looks tight

ti bad they didn't post these sooner.

kosmodave
07-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Guys check out the new issue of 3D World mag, you will find out something about LW 10 that will put a smile on your face :D

Dave

calilifestyle
07-26-2010, 10:30 PM
the road map.

kosmodave
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
VPR.......

Dave

MentalFish
07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Seems like they are listening to what is being said :D
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=992078&postcount=28
:thumbsup::newtek:

The list at cgchannel is pure awesome!:boogiedow

Myagi
07-26-2010, 11:08 PM
If that's the new UI look (for Layout/Modeler) and not just something optional, I'm going to be an extremly unhappy camper.

wesleycorgi
07-26-2010, 11:12 PM
cant wait. i'll be there Wednesday, if i see anything good i might ustream ... but i'm not sure if i'll be able to. since i don't how well my 3g will be

Be sure to be there at 1pm on Wednesday — special surprise (not sure if they announced publicly yet), but I hear it sounds interesting.

Okay: just checked, it is public: William Shatner and Dick Van Dyke promo — 1pm on Wednesday.

Myagi
07-26-2010, 11:23 PM
The UI is VERY customizable.

of Modeler/Layout? I know Core is very customizable, but the others I thought only allowed changing colors, nothing that would result in that..that..hideous thing.

3D Kiwi
07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
If that's the new UI look (for Layout/Modeler) and not just something optional, I'm going to be an extremly unhappy camper.

Just looks like another bad photoshop job

calilifestyle
07-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Cant wait, i better go get lunch early then.

MentalFish
07-26-2010, 11:42 PM
No idea. I've never seen THAT one before. Probably as 3D Kiwi suggested - another bad Photoshop job. :(

Or a programmer's theme.

jdomingo
07-26-2010, 11:51 PM
why it has been announced in another forum and not in NT site?

akademus
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
IF the list of features is correct and IF it comes out this year, I'd quite happy, there are all features I wished for.

But it comes version 10 and we have to wait until 10.5 until it becomes stable, so I think I'll be using it somewhere in 2012.

However, it would be an awesome news if they actually released it and not only announce it.

littlewaves
07-27-2010, 01:45 AM
hmmn, wondering if I'm in the last chance saloon for getting the upgrade for $495 before it jumps to $695

archijam
07-27-2010, 02:00 AM
of Modeler/Layout? I know Core is very customizable, but the others I thought only allowed changing colors, nothing that would result in that..that..hideous thing.

Oh Comon ... get over it.

Are you talking about the 20 pixel strip you see at the bottom of the image?

How can you judge the GUI of an app with so little information?

Matt
07-27-2010, 02:40 AM

Whoah, first time I've seen that. No no no no no no! Those button borders will not do NewTek, talk to me for Gawds sake! ;)

The rest of the announcement seems pretty good though, nice content too.

littlewaves
07-27-2010, 02:49 AM
IF the list of features is correct and IF it comes out this year, I'd quite happy, there are all features I wished for.

But it comes version 10 and we have to wait until 10.5 until it becomes stable, so I think I'll be using it somewhere in 2012.

However, it would be an awesome news if they actually released it and not only announce it.

much of the improvement in the 9.x release cycle came with later point releases. It'd be interesting if they published some sort of roadmap for the 10.x cycle. For example if bullet rigid dynamics are in there to start with does that mean that by say 10.2 they might add bullet soft/cloth dynamics?

Also be good if they gave some indication as to whether or not point releases would still be free. I seem to recall this being "under discussion" a while back.

All in all the 9.x cycle had some pretty good stuff in it (particularly the render engine and nodes) which was perhaps a bit overshadowed by disappointing lack of advances in CA and dynamics work. So if this feature list is just the starting point for LW10.0 and then we get a couple of years worth of free point releases with more new stuff then that would be pretty good going. If on the other hand this list IS the roadmap then that's not so cool.

Ah well, time will tell.

Matt
07-27-2010, 03:02 AM
Oh Comon ... get over it.

Are you talking about the 20 pixel strip you see at the bottom of the image?

How can you judge the GUI of an app with so little information?

He's judging the look of the app, not the usefulness of the app, as I am in my post.

If you're gonna have a button, might as well make it a nice button! ;)

Matt
07-27-2010, 03:05 AM
The UI is VERY customizable.

CORE is, classic LW is modifiable, but not as easy.

Elmar Moelzer
07-27-2010, 03:40 AM
Those button borders will not do NewTek

Agreed, they look like out of LW4.0 or so...
Ahh, sweet memories...

Skywatcher_NT
07-27-2010, 03:50 AM

Matt
07-27-2010, 03:54 AM

Read up, we're already there! :D

Skywatcher_NT
07-27-2010, 04:06 AM
Well...somehow I must have missed page 2 ...:stumped:
Sorry for that...

Matt
07-27-2010, 04:17 AM
Well...somehow I must have missed page 2 ...:stumped:
Sorry for that...

Hey no worries!

Gotta say, I'm loving the blue alien OGL, looks great!

biliousfrog
07-27-2010, 04:49 AM
Not wanting to bring the 'doom and gloom' but just wanted to share some thoughts after hearing about this on skype this morning.

First off, LW10? After all the threads surrounding CORE and the many questions about LW10 which were answered with, "there won't be a LW10, LW 9.6.1 is the last version of legacy Lightwave, LW CORE will be the next full version of Lightwave...."

This is all a bit confusing isn't it? There was absolutely not going to be a LW10, only 9.6.1 and CORE. Then CORE got changed to LW with CORE technology, now we get Modeler 9.6.1, Layout 9.6.1 and LW Core all bundled as Lightwave 10:stumped:

Secondly, is this the big CORE v.1 release? It sounds quite nice, lots of pretty pictures and some impressive sounding tech, but surely it isn't the final release version of CORE that the HC members signed up for? Obviously many people realised that it would never be the bells and whistles game changer right from v.1 but it's also not exactly the integrated application many would have hoped for...instead Lightwave has gone from two clunky apps that barely communicate with each other to three apps based on two different architectures.

Matt
07-27-2010, 05:03 AM
Not wanting to bring the 'doom and gloom' but just wanted to share some thoughts after hearing about this on skype this morning.

First off, LW10? After all the threads surrounding CORE and the many questions about LW10 which were answered with, "there won't be a LW10, LW 9.6.1 is the last version of legacy Lightwave, LW CORE will be the next full version of Lightwave...."

This is all a bit confusing isn't it? There was absolutely not going to be a LW10, only 9.6.1 and CORE. Then CORE got changed to LW with CORE technology, now we get Modeler 9.6.1, Layout 9.6.1 and LW Core all bundled as Lightwave 10:stumped:

Secondly, is this the big CORE v.1 release? It sounds quite nice, lots of pretty pictures and some impressive sounding tech, but surely it isn't the final release version of CORE that the HC members signed up for? Obviously many people realised that it would never be the bells and whistles game changer right from v.1 but it's also not exactly the integrated application many would have hoped for...instead Lightwave has gone from two clunky apps that barely communicate with each other to three apps based on two different architectures.

Last version of 9.6.1

LightWave 10 has features not in 9.6.1, but is part of the 'CORE' Suite

No, CORE is not being released, buying into the CORE program gets you LightWave 10 and CORE Beta.

Having said that, LightWave 10 looks and feels VERY much like LightWave 9.6.1 except for the new stuff, because it essentially IS 9.6.1, again, except for the new stuff.

But a separation was needed.

- - - -

Personally speaking, if I were in charge, I'd have kept developing LW as normal, and developed CORE behind the scenes until it was ready, no announcements, no reveals, just rumours, but any transferable tech crossed between the two apps (like is happening now).

But I'm not thinking about financials here, just clarity, they may have been a business case for doing it the way it's being done.

Edit: Re-reading this sounds all official from the horses mouth stuff, it isn't, these are just my own thoughts and how things have / are turning out.

jay3d
07-27-2010, 05:14 AM
Hey what's up with those buttons? remember NT if it ain't broke don't fix it!

as a side note, somebody noticed that? : http://www.newtek.com/pressrelease.php?viewpr=164

walfridson
07-27-2010, 05:25 AM
good catch jameel!

this siggraph is going to be very interesting.

Cageman
07-27-2010, 05:52 AM

That is true, LW10 was not the plan, LWHC, on the other hand, have been for quite some time. The plan was to have LWHC as a bundle with CORE over a transitional period until CORE could stand 100% on its own. This was actually talked about very early on in the HC-forums, at the time though, LWHC wasn't a name.

Progress a bunch of months, LWHC was "announced" as the name for the companion version of LW that would go with CORE. It would feature interchange functionality with CORE, but appart from that, not much different to LW9.6.

Progress another bunch of months, the plan changed again. At this point, I believe NT realised that CORE would take much longer, so a compromise had to be made; continue to enhance LWHC with new features (where it makes sense and can be done without too much hacking) while also continue to develop CORE. At this point, I also believe that certain target features in CORE went on higher priority, such as Bullet Rigid Body simulation and animation transfering between LWHC Layout and CORE.

Fast forward a couple of months more, and we are essentially where we are now. Instead of having a bunch of different names (CORE, LWHC, classic LW etc), there is now only ONE name; LightWave 10, which includes Layout and Modeler with new features + CORE.

Yes, a 3 app production suite. This will be the case until CORE is mature enough to stand on its own. If you use LW10, you will most likely use it very similarly to how you use LW9.6 today, however, you can transfer stuff over to CORE to make use of Bullet (among other things) and take the result from that and bring back into Layout for rendering (or, maybe use CORE for rendering).

:)

Matt
07-27-2010, 06:18 AM
as a side note, somebody noticed that? : http://www.newtek.com/pressrelease.php?viewpr=164

That's great news, well done Rob!

Netvudu
07-27-2010, 06:31 AM
At last! A reeeeally good-looking ad! That´s how you sell a 3D app. Well done Newtek!

And for UI fanatics...I couldn´t care less about this button being rounded or that button being squared or blah,blah (sorry Matt :D). I just want great features and a tool that delivers. For years Houdini had a brutal geeky retro-look UI and it doesn´t look like that stopped most bit studios from using it.

If the tool delivers I couldn´t care less about icons, buttons or dancing ninja monkeys around.

djlithium
07-27-2010, 06:39 AM

I would actually disagree with you there. The CA tools in LW are actually very powerful.

And NewTek should push characters and high quality fx, renders and anything else it can.

Matt
07-27-2010, 06:43 AM
And for UI fanatics...I couldn´t care less about this button being rounded or that button being squared or blah,blah (sorry Matt :D)

No worries, each to their own, seeing as you don't mind what the UI looks like, you won't mind those who see the need for a +1000 dollar application to look professional, worth the money and not aesthetically challenged in comparision to the competition to work out these niggles.

:p

Also, it's not just whether they are rounded or hard edged, it's the fact that they look fugly as sin and the text isn't the best for legibility with the overly bright distracting border, it jumps out more so than the text, and the text is the most important thing in this example, it should take priority.

Just a thought.

Netvudu
07-27-2010, 06:51 AM
blah, blah, blah :D

Actually I think your previous UI efforts always looked nothing short of amazing. It´s just that I´d rather have Newtek hire you for that, and direct their efforts in other direction.

mattmgut
07-27-2010, 06:53 AM
Another announcement:

http://www.vizworld.com/2010/07/newtek-introduces-lightwave10/

Matt
07-27-2010, 06:54 AM
blah, blah, blah :D

Actually I think your previous UI efforts always looked nothing short of amazing. It´s just that I´d rather have Newtek hire you for that, and direct their efforts in other direction.

Blah blah and more blah! :D (j/k)

I just commented seeing as someone at NT made the change.

Myagi
07-27-2010, 06:56 AM
For me it mainly isn't even about looking good or not (for my tastes), it's that it looks cluttery and I'm having a hard visually comprehending stuff (stuff like bad contrast on labels, rounded corners and to make it worse a bright frame on such small buttons).

I hope it's just a throwaway concept, and I'm sticking to that opinion :p

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 06:58 AM
Also, it's not just whether they are rounded or hard edged, it's the fact that they look fugly as sin and the text isn't the best for legibility with the overly bright distracting border, it jumps out more so than the text, and the text is the most important thing in this example, it should take priority.

Just a thought.

That first button looks pixelated and from the 80's :hey:

Kuzey

Matt
07-27-2010, 07:00 AM
That first button looks pixelated and from the 80's :hey:

Kuzey

I think that's the general concensus (BTW: that button ain't mine!)

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 07:03 AM
I think that's the general concensus (BTW: that button ain't mine!)

There's no way people can think it yours Matt..hehe.

So, that's a customized button and not the default Newtek button??

Kuzey

Matt
07-27-2010, 07:05 AM
For me it mainly isn't even about looking good or not (for my tastes), it's that it looks cluttery and I'm having a hard visually comprehending stuff (stuff like bad contrast on labels, rounded corners and to make it worse a bright frame on such small buttons).

I hope it's just a throwaway concept, and I'm sticking to that opinion :p

I agree with all the points raised, except that a 'side effect' of implementing a legible, non-noisy, logical layout with good contrast values is that it WILL look good.

A good looking UI isn't simply fluff, it's _part_ of good UI design, at least, it is in my book.

Myagi
07-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I deliberately tried to stay away from subjective arguments of what I think looks good or not, as someone might just say "well your taste sucks" ;). Didn't want to imply that there isn't some connection though.

I mean I totally dig the look of the LW8 / 9 UI, but I can also list more technically oriented reasons why it works good (for me anyway).

Matt
07-27-2010, 07:21 AM
Anyway, let's move on. As I said earlier, the rest sounds and looks great! Can't wait to test it out!

tyrot
07-27-2010, 08:58 AM
Last version of 9.6.1

LightWave 10 has features not in 9.6.1, but is part of the 'CORE' Suite

No, CORE is not being released, buying into the CORE program gets you LightWave 10 and CORE Beta.

Having said that, LightWave 10 looks and feels VERY much like LightWave 9.6.1 except for the new stuff, because it essentially IS 9.6.1, again, except for the new stuff.

But a separation was needed.

- - - -

Personally speaking, if I were in charge, I'd have kept developing LW as normal, and developed CORE behind the scenes until it was ready, no announcements, no reveals, just rumours, but any transferable tech crossed between the two apps (like is happening now).

But I'm not thinking about financials here, just clarity, they may have been a business case for doing it the way it's being done.

Edit: Re-reading this sounds all official from the horses mouth stuff, it isn't, these are just my own thoughts and how things have / are turning out.

thanks matt for this post. As a faithful lightwaver i really had difficulties to understand what Lightwave 10 is. I totally agree with your other points also.

Lightwave Core- hardcore-9.6.1 - now 10 ... :) soon we will have more 3D application than autodesk :) Good way to beat them .... in quantity:)

calilifestyle
07-27-2010, 09:28 AM
So are they still planning to raise the upgrade price to 695 or what ever number that was. Or is it staying at 495 since true LW-HC isn't coming out yet.

archijam
07-27-2010, 09:38 AM
So are they still planning to raise the upgrade price to 695 or what ever number that was. Or is it staying at 495 since true LW-HC isn't coming out yet.

Prices mentioned in the article:

Myagi
07-27-2010, 09:44 AM

HC was the working title of the next version of the Modeler/Layout apps, which were/are to come together with Core. I assume by "true LW-HC" you mean until Lightwave will only consist of Core? That AFAIK never was the plan for the first release, so the 695 price still stands, since nothing really has changed aside from officially settling to call it all LW10.

GCL
07-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Also be good if they gave some indication as to whether or not point releases would still be free. I seem to recall this being "under discussion" a while back.
Ah well, time will tell.

Will there still be a "final" update for the current 9.6x version or passed over to LW10?
There was some discussion about it.

calilifestyle
07-27-2010, 09:49 AM
cool, thanks i see how that works. dang i cant wait for tomorrow.

digital verve
07-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Found Lightwave 10 brochure link on cgtalk and can be viewed here:

http://www.sinefx.com/images/misc/lw10/

Netvudu
07-27-2010, 11:03 AM
uh...I think Bearfoot´s images are missing from the brochure. This guy doesn´t support Newtek at all :D

OlaHaldor
07-27-2010, 11:22 AM
I just love it when they quote people in CAPITAL LETTERS FOLLOWED BY AN "!" !! Makes it sound like they're yelling out of the brochure, not unlike the yelling book in Harry Potter. :D

Matt
07-27-2010, 12:07 PM
Found Lightwave 10 brochure link on cgtalk and can be viewed here:

http://www.sinefx.com/images/misc/lw10/

Whoah, where did that come from! Is it supposed to be out?

Looks good though, and I like the font they used for LightWave, so much more modern than the CORE font IMO.

OlaHaldor
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Oh my.. looking at the modeling demo in 3D Max 2011, I see LightWave 9 is lightyears ahead. They just demoed a cloning procedure which seemed to be a pretty hard thing to do.

I feel very satisfied with my choice of software. :)

Matt
07-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Whoah, where did that come from! Is it supposed to be out?

Looks good though, and I like the font they used for LightWave, so much more modern than the CORE font IMO.

Nevermind, found it:

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php

LW3D
07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
have you seen this page?

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/lw10/lw10_creature.jpg

http://www.newtek.com/lw/creature/

calilifestyle
07-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Oh my.. looking at the modeling demo in 3D Max 2011, I see LightWave 9 is lightyears ahead. They just demoed a cloning procedure which seemed to be a pretty hard thing to do.

wheres the vide. i recall max 4 having instancing and xref.

OlaHaldor
07-27-2010, 12:20 PM
It's a live stream. He's showing some CA stuff now.

stevenpalomino
07-27-2010, 12:29 PM
will LW 10 have support for python? I heard core was.. but will the modeler/layout?

phillydee
07-27-2010, 12:46 PM
Regretting not attending SIGGRAPH :(

It doesn't take away the fact that I haven't been this excited about a new version of Lightwave since the jump from 5.6 to 6.0!!

Seems like marketing's approach to LWHC really took a turn for the better... Great to see NT's booth and tight aesthetic presentation in action. TWO THUMBS WAY UP.

Not comparing the 9.6 to 10 jump to 5.6 to 6.0. Just sayin'. I'm excited. Probably more than then. heh.

Matt
07-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I can't keep track of all this new LW10 content / webpages, it's everywhere!

Nice work NT!

stone
07-27-2010, 12:55 PM

wheres the vide. i recall max 4 having instancing and xref.

max modelling has been broken since version 2009. previously you could select an object, face or whatever - hold shift and click the manipulator to make a clone 'in place'. thats no longer possible and you have to click the "clone" tool which takes 10 times longer. autodesk claims its per design, but i cant imagine how anyone would want that workflow.

/stone

Matt
07-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Seems like marketing's approach to LWHC really took a turn for the better... Great to see NT's booth and tight aesthetic presentation in action. TWO THUMBS WAY UP.

I agree, this is way better stuff, probably the best I've seen coming from NewTek.

dballesg
07-27-2010, 01:02 PM
have you seen this page?

Thanks for that, downloading it right now! :)

I really liked the brochure. Looks NT is pushing a lot this Siggraph.

David

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Model on it...Animate on it....Render on it...Count on it..

Someone at Newtek is a Happy Days fan....hehe :D

Kuzey

speismonqui
07-27-2010, 02:40 PM
the first button RULES! Please NT!!!

speismonqui
07-27-2010, 02:42 PM
sorry

Matt
07-27-2010, 03:07 PM
the first button RULES! Please NT!!!

??? The first one is in there if the screenshots are to be believed. That's the one I personally think needs to be done better.

stevenpalomino
07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
So does anyone know if there will be python support in version 10?

Cageman
07-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I can't keep track of all this new LW10 content / webpages, it's everywhere!

Nice work NT!

I second that! :)

Nicolas Jordan
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
So does anyone know if there will be python support in version 10?

Probably in the Core app to some extent.

stevenpalomino
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I was really hoping it'd be in both so I wouldn't have to learn lscript since python is more universal :S

MooseDog
07-27-2010, 06:41 PM
according to the o.s. specs, there's no longer a linux option :cry:. is this a final decision?

Intuition
07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
I am sure it was just left out. I mean Core will probably always have a linux version. Just not Layout and Modeler. If Core isn't developing a Linux version then DD will probably not support it. I think ultimately Core will continue with Linux builds but I would like confirmation because if not I can stop testing immediately. ;)

caesar
07-27-2010, 06:46 PM
according to the o.s. specs, there's no longer a linux option :cry:. is this a final decision?

Maybe the feedback from a linux version was low. Anyway, a client to render node in linux would be a better option to start.

Cageman
07-27-2010, 07:40 PM
I am sure it was just left out. I mean Core will probably always have a linux version. Just not Layout and Modeler. If Core isn't developing a Linux version then DD will probably not support it. I think ultimately Core will continue with Linux builds but I would like confirmation because if not I can stop testing immediately. ;)

Well, I remember you said something in the lines of "If classic LW will get VPR I will defenately use it.."

So.. now that you know it will be there, will you use it?

Intuition
07-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Well, I remember you said something in the lines of "If classic LW will get VPR I will defenately use it.."

So.. now that you know it will be there, will you use it?

Well, yeah, I would test out, since I am a render engine whore, just to see how well it does in Lightwave. As far as daily use at work, well thats a different story due to OS conflicts. But at home I would test it for sure.

Snosrap
07-27-2010, 09:53 PM
Whoah, first time I've seen that. No no no no no no! Those button borders will not do NewTek, talk to me for Gawds sake! ;)

The rest of the announcement seems pretty good though, nice content too.
Matt you had your chance. You should have jumped at it.

Snosrap
07-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Obviously many people realised that it would never be the bells and whistles game changer right from v.1 but it's also not exactly the integrated application many would have hoped for...instead Lightwave has gone from two clunky apps that barely communicate with each other to three apps based on two different architectures. IMO I'm not sure if they had any other choice. Going quiet to build a new app from scratch is not good. I think they are doing the right thing. I use many differant apps now to complete my work, throwing Core in there to do its thing when I need it is no biggy.

Nicolas Jordan
07-27-2010, 10:11 PM
It seems like the only features in Core that they plan to be production ready by release are UV Mapping tools and Hardbody Dynamics.

Sounds like for anyone who buys a Hardcore membership at the moment you will get Lightwave 10 when it ships but to keep the Hardcore membership there will be another $495 upgrade fee to prepay for Lightwave 11 in the near future. :grumpy:

Snosrap
07-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Sounds like for anyone who buys a Hardcore membership at the moment you will get Lightwave 10 when it ships but to keep the Hardcore membership there will be another $495 upgrade fee to prepay for Lightwave 11 in the near future. :grumpy:
I don't think so. Current paid up Hardcore members get 10 and then continue to be in Hardcore through the release of 11 and then they need to decide to continue beyond that. In other words, Hardcore members will see the development progress of 11 and be able to make a very informed decision as to whether to purchase 11 and continue in the program to see it through version 12, etc. etc.. That's my understanding anyway.

Nicolas Jordan
07-27-2010, 10:28 PM
I don't think so. Current paid up Hardcore members get 10 and then continue to be in Hardcore through the release of 11 and then they need to decide to continue beyond that. In other words, Hardcore members will see the development progress of 11 and be able to make a very informed decision as to whether to purchase 11 and continue in the program to see it through version 12, etc. etc.. That's my understanding anyway.

That's sounds like a reasonable way to do it but so far Newtek seems to have taken the pay now and see later approach to things.

PhotoTekArtWork
07-27-2010, 10:34 PM
It seems like the only features in Core that they plan to be production ready by release are UV Mapping tools and Hardbody Dynamics.

There's no more prepay after LW10 is released. You pay for the next version when it comes out, be it 6 months or 2 years. You pay for it and they ship it to you. If you pay for it within the grace peroid your HC membership stays intact. If you miss the grace peroid to get the upgrade then you lose your HC membership and all the benefits that go with it. The grace peroid has not been determined yet. I hope this helps in your understanding.

jasonwestmas
07-27-2010, 10:39 PM
haha, yes, it's called LW 10. Three apps.

Nicolas Jordan
07-27-2010, 10:42 PM
There's no more prepay after LW10 is released. You pay for the next version when it comes out, be it 6 months or 2 years. You pay for it and they ship it to you. If you pay for it within the grace peroid your HC membership stays intact. If you miss the grace peroid to get the upgrade then you lose your HC membership and all the benefits that go with it. The grace peroid has not been determined yet. I hope this helps in your understanding.

If that's the case then I will likely go ahead and get myself a Hardcore membership soon!

jasonwestmas
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM

Depends on the goals, and the project. Besides, rendering characters is pretty sweet looking in LW these days.

And yes NT shows off characters on their boards every siggraph I've seen.

hrgiger
07-27-2010, 10:48 PM
That's sounds like a reasonable way to do it but so far Newtek seems to have taken the pay now and see later approach to things.

If you choose to look at it that way. At the same time we are paying now, we are also saving significant money off our Lightwave upgrades. Since I'm a charter member (bought in early for $395), I'll have saved myself $1500 over the course of the next five Lightwave upgrades over someone who waits until the software ships to buy their upgrades. And of course, we also get access to the software right away.

And yes, everyone who is in hardcore now, will get Lightwave 10 and will continue to be in hardcore all through the Lightwave 11 alpha/beta stage and won't have to pay again until Lightwave 11 ships.

jasonwestmas
07-27-2010, 10:50 PM
Well, yeah, I would test out, since I am a render engine whore, just to see how well it does in Lightwave. As far as daily use at work, well thats a different story due to OS conflicts. But at home I would test it for sure.

I saw a demo where the guy had a 6 Million poly creature rendering in VPR in layout. It took 5-10 seconds to pop up but after that he could make lighting and surfacing adjustments in real time. Anyway, that is a lot faster than what I have now with Fprime.

Supposedly we will be able to see just about everything in layout within VPR. I'll believe it when I see it though. :)

cyroz
07-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Great news, seeing the benefit of the core program into layout,
the few things that bother me, are the lack of evolution on the Modeler side (only fbx - obj -collada),and the fact that bullet dynamics are not integrated in Layout at that time...
Can't wait to see more, keep up the good work Newtek

Matt
07-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Matt you had your chance. You should have jumped at it.

Jump!

evolross
07-28-2010, 02:20 AM
I haven't downloaded it to check, but what's with the "creature kits" not having the actual model in it? Is the idea to try to model it yourself and then apply all the maps?

littlewaves
07-28-2010, 02:23 AM
I haven't downloaded it to check, but what's with the "creature kits" not having the actual model in it? Is the idea to try to model it yourself and then apply all the maps?

the mutant one I downloaded yesterday very much had a model in it and a scene file which I loaded up and rendered.

daforum
07-28-2010, 03:06 AM
the mutant one I downloaded yesterday very much had a model in it and a scene file which I loaded up and rendered.

Is it this one: http://www.newtek.com/lw/creature/

or is there another.......?

archijam
07-28-2010, 03:12 AM

I think the poster meant that there were no nodes etc (ie. typical 'complex' LW setup) involved. The texturing is 'simple' in that regard .. perhaps baked?

-FP-
07-28-2010, 07:08 AM
I've been away from the forums for a while - and I haven't read this entire thread yet - but I'm quite suprised there is a LIGHTWAVE 10. I though Lightwave 9.6 was the end of the road, and CORE was the wave of the future? Did plans change when I wasn't looking?

CAClark
07-28-2010, 07:16 AM
I have to say that having looked over the brochure for Lightwave 10, almost everything about is is truly hideous, including some of the stuff chosen to be showcased in it. Newtek, please can you not go for clean and professional looking layouts, rather than the average joe layouts time and time again. And those dumb-*** 'win on it' style slogans, wtf! That doesn't even make sense.

Grrrrrrr Maybe one day NT will do something that actually inspires confidence in me :-/

Kuzey
07-28-2010, 07:37 AM
And yes, everyone who is in hardcore now, will get Lightwave 10 and will continue to be in hardcore all through the Lightwave 11 alpha/beta stage and won't have to pay again until Lightwave 11 ships.

I'm guessing here, but it sounds like this so called "grace period" is about 10 or 11 months....that's a bit strange. So, basically, you get LW10 and you get to test LW11 at no extra cost..until the release of LW11. I would have thought, that the "grace period" would be about 2 months, after that, if you don't upgrade...you don't go further in the HC program.

I like my idea better, I buy on January 2011, I get LW10 and I get to test LW11, and I get the final version 12 months later...at the end of my subscription :D

But, I'll wait for Newtek to get back from Siggraph...still, it's interesting and confusing at the same time..hehe.

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-28-2010, 07:49 AM
And those dumb-*** 'win on it' style slogans, wtf! That doesn't even make sense.
/

I think it has something to do with the Fronz :hey:

http://www.webundies.com/images/ab23cs000163sts.jpg

Kuzey

Matt
07-28-2010, 07:54 AM
I have to say that having looked over the brochure for Lightwave 10, almost everything about is is truly hideous, including some of the stuff chosen to be showcased in it. Newtek, please can you not go for clean and professional looking layouts, rather than the average joe layouts time and time again. And those dumb-*** 'win on it' style slogans, wtf! That doesn't even make sense.

Grrrrrrr Maybe one day NT will do something that actually inspires confidence in me :-/

I didn't think it was as bad as previous efforts, I agree that the layout and image placement is a tad busy, more than I would like / have done.

The work I can't really comment on as it is all better than my stuff, but your LW work standard is much higher than mine!

Okay, so maybe not perfect, but definately a step in the right direction, gotta give 'em that, no?

P.S. Yes, 'Win on it' doesn't make much sense, kinda reminds me of when people say 'I winned the race', should be 'Win with it', but I guess it would break their 'Count on it' slogan.

Phil
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
I've been away from the forums for a while - and I haven't read this entire thread yet - but I'm quite suprised there is a LIGHTWAVE 10. I though Lightwave 9.6 was the end of the road, and CORE was the wave of the future? Did plans change when I wasn't looking?

That signature is excessively large.

NT's strategy has been a 'parallel changeover'. That description originally caused a lot of confusion, but what it means is now clearer. LW 'classic' (my term to refer to Layout and Modeler) will continue to be fixed and worked on in parallel with the Core application until such time that Core is complete enough to stand on its own.

I have no doubt that NT want to shed LW classic as soon as is reasonably justifiable simply to reduce their workload and to be able to invest even more resource into Core, but until Core is ready to accomplish 99% of what LW classic does right now, plus stand up to the competition, their hands are somewhat tied.

What I would like to see is clarification of whether bug fixes will continue to be bundled with feature work. I've long argued for a stable and an unstable branch of LW, with fixes being made available for the stable version. That's been absent for all of 9.x, leading to very long gaps between point releases and the value of the bug fixes for 9.x-1 being reduced by the new issues in 9.x

theo
07-28-2010, 08:12 AM
we all know that it is a good poly modeler,

It isn't just a 'good' modeler. It is an excellent modeler. That's all.

manholoz
07-28-2010, 08:31 AM
Now that I've read over the 9 pages, 2 questions remains (for me).

1. Will there be instancing on LW10? Or is HD-Instance still necessary? And if so, there is no HD-Instance in Core, is there?
2. lwcad? Will the new version work in modeler? Core? both?

That aside, it looks like a very nice release. Now to switch to tuna and water to save for the upgrade!

Svenart
07-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Now that I've read over the 9 pages, 2 questions remains (for me).

1. Will there be instancing on LW10? Or is HD-Instance still necessary? And if so, there is no HD-Instance in Core, is there?

exactly :thumbsup: I also really would like to know that.

monovich
07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
I dig the feature list. The brochure looks classy as well. Can't wait to see when it all will become available.

hrgiger
07-28-2010, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing here, but it sounds like this so called "grace period" is about 10 or 11 months....that's a bit strange. So, basically, you get LW10 and you get to test LW11 at no extra cost..until the release of LW11. I would have thought, that the "grace period" would be about 2 months, after that, if you don't upgrade...you don't go further in the HC program.

I think when they say grace period, they're talking about when they announce the release of Lightwave 11 and then probably a few months from that point. It may not even be an option to buy it before that point.

Samus
07-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Still no videos from Newtek....what a fuss...Day two, still nothing...why even mention that they would stream the show ...Well back to autodesk live stream !

Cageman
07-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Still no videos from Newtek....what a fuss...Day two, still nothing...why even mention that they would stream the show ...Well back to autodesk live stream !

They never said they would stream the show. They did say that they will record and put videos online. Yesterday Andrew y said that most likely a video would be up later the same day. For some reason that didn't happen, I guess NT are very busy at the show.

littlewaves
07-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Core already has instancing. It has been showcased in the VPR clip for example, but while NT can try harder consolidating information, it's not magic doing a little research (preferably not only on these 9 pages). :)

Well I too was wondering about instancing as I remembered it from one of the very early core videos (public ones) with the dragon mesh which does't sem to be online anymore. I was wondering why it asn't mentioned

There is no mention of instancing on either the official LW10 feature list (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw10.php), the official brochure (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/images/lw10/LightWave1010.pdf) or on the core feature document (http://newtek.com/lightwave/core/lightWave_3D_with_CORE_technology_Features_Documen t.pdf)

danielkaiser
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Ars Technica revue.

http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2010/07/new-lightwave-10-looks-light-on-new-features.ars

danielkaiser
07-28-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been away from the forums for a while

It's about time.

BlueApple
07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
The system specs for the Mac seem fairly brief relative to the Win specs. Does this really mean that any intel Mac running OS 10.6 can actually handle LW 10, regardless of RAM or video card?

Kuzey
07-28-2010, 12:38 PM
Captain Kirk...is the mystery guest. I would love to see that performance, should be fun...haha.

Kuzey

speismonqui
07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
does anybody remembers the "battle of the preview renderers" video with metallica's soundtrack showing Fprime vs Modo vs CORE?
I was wondering if the VPR in Lightwave 10 will be as good as CORE, and if it will replace Fprime?
Will it let you render a scene or animation like Fprime does? load scene, render, close, load, continue rendering, etc...???

littlewaves
07-28-2010, 01:30 PM
The system specs for the Mac seem fairly brief relative to the Win specs. Does this really mean that any intel Mac running OS 10.6 can actually handle LW 10, regardless of RAM or video card?

Sadly I doubt they've even tested it. I think Chilton took the "Newtek Mac" with him when he went!

I imagine Ram requirement matches the PC spec but I'd have thought there should at least be some info on graphics cards other than "N/A"!

My intel imac has a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 so would imagine if minimum PC requirement is 8400 series then I'd be in trouble?? Let alone if I was using an older Mac Mini.

speismonqui
07-28-2010, 01:44 PM
i´ve just downloaded the "Luis Santos Mutant Creature Kit" (awesome by the way)

Iin the interview he said: FPrime is also one of the strongest reasons I use LightWave 3D.

:agree:

Just hoping the VPR in LW10 will do better ¿?

Nicolas Jordan
07-28-2010, 01:49 PM
g if the VPR in Lightwave 10 will be as good as CORE, and if it will replace Fprime?

I get the feeling it will be good in it's own way and will probably have the ability to display nodal shaders and stuff more accurately in preview than FPrime does. I think VPR is only meant as a preview renderer.

speismonqui
07-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Ur right about the nodal shaders and other issues with Fprime, I totally forgot about that. So I think LW10VPR will be better.

Also, I thought the VPR in CORE will be the same as the final render, Im sure I´ve read that somewhere, maybe in the newsletter about VPR?

manholoz
07-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Core already has instancing. It has been showcased in the VPR clip for example, but while NT can try harder consolidating information, it's not magic doing a little research (preferably not only on these 9 pages). :)

The current LWCAD (v3) will work in LW10 of course, no idea if the next version (v4) will be core only, personally, I doubt it.

I watched the original Core videos that showed some sort of instancing, but as instancing is not being mentioned officially anywhere as a feature, I thought it best to ask.

Thank you for answering my questions. :)

stevenpalomino
07-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Although interactive rendering is something great about FPrime.. I think the most useful thing is the progressive rendering.. especially for the type of work that I do.. I can set up my scene in after effects with low quality images and then fill them in later! Can't find that in any other package! That's one of the main reasons I went with LW :)

hrgiger
07-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Also, I thought the VPR in CORE will be the same as the final render, Im sure I´ve read that somewhere, maybe in the newsletter about VPR?

The VPR preview window should be identical to the final renderer as they're basically the same thing, they just take different approaches since VPR displays the render interactively. At least, that's what we've been told.

monovich
07-29-2010, 12:40 AM
Can't find that in any other package! That's one of the main reasons I went with LW :)

Its the number one reason I stick with Lightwave and don't bother to snoop any of the other packages. Heck.. I've got MAX and don't even use it.

archijam
07-29-2010, 12:48 AM
I watched the original Core videos that showed some sort of instancing, but as instancing is not being mentioned officially anywhere as a feature, I thought it best to ask.

Thank you for answering my questions. :)

... But render instancing is a different matter ;)

Don't ditch your HDI and Kray options yet ...

jasonwestmas
07-29-2010, 02:42 AM
I get the feeling it will be good in it's own way and will probably have the ability to display nodal shaders and stuff more accurately in preview than FPrime does. I think VPR is only meant as a preview renderer.

After seeing the NT demos and listening to the ideas for LW10, I believe NT is very confident that everything will be rendered in VPR at best quality.

MrWyatt
07-29-2010, 03:01 AM
can anyone post some videos of demos or will we be left dry for a couple of weeks like in 2008. I AM WAITING NT.

BlueApple
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Sadly I doubt they've even tested it. I think Chilton took the "Newtek Mac" with him when he went!

I imagine Ram requirement matches the PC spec but I'd have thought there should at least be some info on graphics cards other than "N/A"!

My intel imac has a NVIDIA GeForce 7600 so would imagine if minimum PC requirement is 8400 series then I'd be in trouble?? Let alone if I was using an older Mac Mini.

Yes, I would guess that RAM requirements are the same as well. It's just a little unfortunate that the Mac side of development doesn't appear to be at a place where they can confidently list what video card/s works with the new suite.

Hopefully with LW10's release we will see parity between the Mac and Win versions.

TheDeacon
07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
can anyone post some videos of demos or will we be left dry for a couple of weeks like in 2008. I AM WAITING NT.
I am checking vidz every chance I get. Apparently, NT booth is overwhelmed and no one has had a chance to edit (you know it must be high quality first, MrWyatt :) ) I will vidz posted as soon as we receive. Your patience is appreciated.

Netvudu
07-29-2010, 10:26 AM
what patience :D

andrew_y
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
.... and here they are..

http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph1.php

I understand there are a few more in the works being worked on. Stay tuned.

dballesg
07-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Congrats to Rob for his presentation, informative, funny and jaw dropping! :)

David

dballesg
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Lino, Lino, Lino! :) Way to go my friend! :)

Brilliant demo! :) Speechless.

David

P.D: What's the commend you used to add the small controller bones to the legs, I couoldn't saw it on the video due to the compression.

And what monster machine you were using to have that speed?

OlaHaldor
07-29-2010, 12:16 PM
So this HardCORE, it's for Mac too right? With the VPR and all ?

Netvudu
07-29-2010, 12:45 PM
ooooh, wonderful presentation by Lino Grandi. Il più grande!

daforum
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
.... and here they are..

http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph1.php

I understand there are a few more in the works being worked on. Stay tuned.

Lovin' the videos so far :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 01:53 PM
The Lino Grandi presentation is how VPR should have worked!!

It's everything I was arguing for in that long debate....thank you Newtek :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There is another enhancement that can be done. You can have subdivision levels dynamic and real time too. Instead of Lino turning subdivision low to pose the model...have it done automatically. When you select a bone...the subdivision level should drop and when you stop editing....it should go back up.

Well done Newtek...this is what I was talking about :heart:

Kuzey

dballesg
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
There is another enhancement that can be done. You can have subdivision levels dynamic and real time too. Instead of Lino turning subdivision low to pose the model...have it done automatically. When you select a bone...the subdivision level should drop and when you stop editing....it should go back up.

Kuzey

That is quite a good and brilliant idea really! :)

David

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 02:07 PM
That is quite a good and brilliant idea really! :)

David

I do have my moments..haha.

Kuzey

danielkaiser
07-29-2010, 04:21 PM
The Lino Grandi presentation is how VPR should have worked!!

It's everything I was arguing for in that long debate....thank you Newtek :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kuzey

Fog it!

speismonqui
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
I think the community is very pleased with the videos, LW10 is looking great, the UI color change is great, I think its better good looking than Maya's :D
Seems like you're heading in the right direction.

I just want to congratulate Newtek for a great job! :thumbsup:

Cageman
07-29-2010, 05:15 PM
First off: MrWyatt will be very pleased to see there are videos (finaly). :D

Secondly I would like to chime in on the coments about Lino. He did a great job showing how easy things are in LW. Obviously he makes it look very effortless... the truth is, in most cases it IS effortless, as long as you pay attention and learn the tools. This might be simple, but there are enough people out there that skip the very first step; LEARN THE TOOLS.

Soth
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
LEARN THE TOOLS.:)

more rigging tutorials for lw! :)

Nowhere Man
07-29-2010, 05:24 PM
Looking at the VPR thing makes me think, that dreams (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=819319&postcount=4087) do come true sometimes :thumbsup:

evenflcw
07-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Wonderful presentations by Lino, Greg and Rob. The product, the website and pdf look great too. Very enthusing. Good times. Well done NT\LW Team and friends!

Looking forward to watching the rest of the demos and whatever else you guys come up with, and LW10 ofcourse. :)

geo_n
07-29-2010, 10:51 PM
Lino, Lino, Lino! :) Way to go my friend! :)

Brilliant demo! :) Speechless.

David

P.D: What's the commend you used to add the small controller bones to the legs, I couoldn't saw it on the video due to the compression.

And what monster machine you were using to have that speed?

I think that's probably a custom script. I've seen it in his youtube videos before. Looks quite hand but probably not available publicly.

jasonwestmas
07-30-2010, 12:15 AM
Looking at the VPR thing makes me think, that dreams (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=819319&postcount=4087) do come true sometimes :thumbsup:

I was dreaming of this VPR thing 3 years ago and some people were disturbed that I would ask for such a feature, saying that it wasn't necessary and not priority etc. I have no idea why someone wouldn't want this. I guess it was in the way I was asking at the time.

Oh! and that support for the 3D mouse fly through is amazing as well. Something I've always wanted but knew I couldn't do till now.

prometheus
07-30-2010, 02:02 AM
Good to see som vids up, looking forward to some more.:thumbsup:

I really like to see greg sullivan and how he approaches certain things
and comes up with solutions with mixed simple techniques for a fast
decent solution.

Michael

daforum
07-30-2010, 03:44 AM
http://tv.newtek.com/player_siggraph2.php

The william shatner/ dick van dyke video is very funny!

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 06:25 AM

Kuzey

I have another idea from the same video, it popped into my head the very second I woke up this morning :hey:

symmetry for bones

Have symmetry for bone creation, something you can toggle on and off, like the current symmetry in Modeler. When active and you create a chain of bones like Lino did for the spine..nothing happens, because it's in the center...just like the current symmetry tool.

Now, if Lino decided to change to another model instead, and use the spine bones for something else, say a tentacle bone for an octopus....as soon as he selects the chain and moves it off center or rotates it etc., the chain gets mirrored to the other size. And when creating the leg bones, a mirrored copy gets created on the other side in realtime.

No more selecting chains and manually mirroring them..how cool is that..hehe :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Fog it!

I should..but I haven't fogged anything for awhile...I'm sure Newtek developers read these threads too :D

Kuzey

Samus
07-30-2010, 06:43 AM
Yay!!! All this is quite nice!!... so VPR is our Fprime , Really not so Gigantic in the sens that Fprime is something like five to 7 years old.

In the other Hand so few things about CORE exept OGL Superb Quality I MUST SAY.

BUT NO BULLET PHYSICS demo...probably not ready... and when i see Lagoa Physics... i hope they will not just add hard bodies but Cloth also.

Keep up the good work Newtek. People really count on those updates.
Communicate... Flex them Lightwave Muscles.

cheers!!

Samus
07-30-2010, 06:46 AM
PS: Core Has handles for geometric editing finaly!!! but is it also in LW 10 modeler ????
-BTW: Should'nt we have Core + Layout instead of Core Modeler & Layout ?

Intuition
07-30-2010, 06:55 AM
First off: MrWyatt will be very pleased to see there are videos (finaly). :D

Secondly I would like to chime in on the coments about Lino. He did a great job showing how easy things are in LW. Obviously he makes it look very effortless... the truth is, in most cases it IS effortless, as long as you pay attention and learn the tools. This might be simple, but there are enough people out there that skip the very first step; LEARN THE TOOLS.

Though I do like what I see in LW10 and loving Core so far I still have to say that the CA tools are still looking weak to non-LW users watching the vid.

This video did not show proper IK setup at all. There were a ton of little joints and the biggest bit was no setup of proper control objects. You shouldn't have to grab bones at all. They should stay hidden. Now I realize that this is just to show some immediacy and it was a pretty fast setup in LW but its not a rig. There was proper IK and up (or pole vectors) for the knees which I was happy they added during the late 9 cycle. But there were no control objects that were driving the whole rig.

The hips should have a control object that can be pulled up and down showing the legs bending at the knees, knees bending towards the IK up vector control objects while the feel stay planted at their control object's location.

In Lightwave I have gotten used to seeing little extra bones here and there as a round about for not using weightmaps. This is handy in the LW context when you learn where things get a little wonky and regardless of 3d application you will always have a little initial rig problems and need to weight map them or add little control bones in the case of LW so its just a learning process.

Still, I think I'll post a vid showing this same (or similar) creature setup with IK and proper control objects in Maya. If only so that there is an example for Core or LW to aim for.

This post is not to trash on LW either. Really. I mean I am really impressed with NewTek with their Core and LW10 releases and only want to see it get better. This is the first time I was actually excited about LW again since version 6.5 or the f-prime release era. So I hope they can keep it up. Maybe this vid is just initial bone setup then the control objects could be setup later.

I did like how effortless it looked adding the Zbrush setup. I imagine thats the spot info nodal setup built into a preset. What I also liked was the openGL preview. Now was that displacement rendered on the fly with low polygon base or was the base mesh subD level raised to get the detail, or was it normal mapped?

Anyways, what is impressive is that Lino is showing that LW can be looked at as a CA app which it is not commonly thought of. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 06:58 AM
-BTW: Should'nt we have Core + Layout instead of Core Modeler & Layout ?

The fact that Core can handle high density meshes, but Modeler or Layout can't, makes sense to keep Modeler around for the time being.

I'm sure there might be other issues as well.

Kuzey

Nemoid
07-30-2010, 07:08 AM
just my 2 cents:
the rig video was well done, only, not complete in the sense you surely can add control objects, setup IK, pole vector for knees, even setup controls for facial animations and so on, but this requieres time. I could also say Lino didn't use joints (which allow stretch featuires for bones) etc. but this doesn't mean it isn't possible to do. Probably he would have loaded a final rig with bells and whistles of this sort, something he can really use into production environment. Tools havent' changed from what we have in 9.6 right now.
Lw has not the same features of Maya, BTW, i'm not saying you can easily rig a char on the fly. so far rigging in Lw requires more effort in Lw compared to Maya especially when rig has to be very refined, for a complex character, maybe with stretch and squash and other giggle features as you find in high end cartoons.
However thr presentation was quite good for Lw.

Intuition
07-30-2010, 07:14 AM
just my 2 cents:
the rig video was well done, only, not complete in the sense you surely can add control objects, setup IK, pole vector for knees, even setup controls for facial animations and so on, but this requieres time. ....----EDIT--for space---
However thr presentation was quite good for Lw.

Yeah, agreed and I also thought it was a good video showing that LW can do CA which needs to be addressed. I do think this LW 10 / Core era is the finest marketing I have ever seen out of NewTek and hope it becomes their gold standard. :thumbsup: :newtek:

Nemoid
07-30-2010, 07:35 AM
Well hopefully we'll get past of the whole CORE/Hardcore program confusion era thanx to Lw 10, Tho, i think new features regarding rigging and so on will chime in in CORE. its the right place for them because you'll be able to connect em with nodes and whole CORE flexibility, just like happens in modern apps like Maya. developing new tools for CA directly for classic Lw would be a waste of time IMHO. What could be made is just like VPR : develop em for CORE and if possible pass them even in layout.

Dreamcube017
07-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm sorry but I'm slightly confused.

Is CORE a part of LW10? IOs CORE only going to be a part of the layout mode or is it something on its own? So layout and modeler are still seperate.

I made a thread a while back saying that it'd be nice of layout and modeler were merged into one program. Someone said that this was one of LW1's main things.

I guess not...?

Those videos were really awesome thougha nd I love VPR.

Myagi
07-30-2010, 09:44 AM
Is CORE a part of LW10? IOs CORE only going to be a part of the layout mode or is it something on its own? So layout and modeler are still seperate.

I made a thread a while back saying that it'd be nice of layout and modeler were merged into one program. Someone said that this was one of LW1's main things.

I guess not...?

What they meant was that one of the reasons to create Core was to create a unified app. Eventually Core will replace both Modeler and Layout, when it's mature enough, but for now you'll have all three apps as part of Lightwave (of which the next version is LW10).

dwburman
07-30-2010, 12:34 PM
I'd like to see more on Core as well. Right now LW10 looks light on features (though the VPR and OpenGL enhancements are very impressive) even though there's an entirely new app that's been added to the mix. They haven't really shown how Core can be used in production other than the demo where they added detail to the airplane.

I am excited by VPR in Layout but I'd like to see some SSS and dielectric previews. The OpenGL stuff in Core looks great, but is there a way to export it in a usable way? Can you leverage the gfx card GPUs in your final rendering?

danielkaiser
07-30-2010, 12:45 PM
I should..but I haven't fogged anything for awhile...I'm sure Newtek developers read these threads too :D

Kuzey

Don't be to sure about that, it'll have a better chance of getting to the right coder if you do.

danielkaiser
07-30-2010, 12:48 PM
Though I do like what I see in LW10 and loving Core so far I still have to say that the CA tools are still looking weak to non-LW users watching the vid.

This video did not show proper IK setup at all. There were a ton of little joints and the biggest bit was no setup of proper control objects. You shouldn't have to grab bones at all. They should stay hidden. Now I realize that this is just to show some immediacy and it was a pretty fast setup in LW but its not a rig. There was proper IK and up (or pole vectors) for the knees which I was happy they added during the late 9 cycle. But there were no control objects that were driving the whole rig.

The hips should have a control object that can be pulled up and down showing the legs bending at the knees, knees bending towards the IK up vector control objects while the feel stay planted at their control object's location.

In Lightwave I have gotten used to seeing little extra bones here and there as a round about for not using weightmaps. This is handy in the LW context when you learn where things get a little wonky and regardless of 3d application you will always have a little initial rig problems and need to weight map them or add little control bones in the case of LW so its just a learning process.

Still, I think I'll post a vid showing this same (or similar) creature setup with IK and proper control objects in Maya. If only so that there is an example for Core or LW to aim for.

This post is not to trash on LW either. Really. I mean I am really impressed with NewTek with their Core and LW10 releases and only want to see it get better. This is the first time I was actually excited about LW again since version 6.5 or the f-prime release era. So I hope they can keep it up. Maybe this vid is just initial bone setup then the control objects could be setup later.

I did like how effortless it looked adding the Zbrush setup. I imagine thats the spot info nodal setup built into a preset. What I also liked was the openGL preview. Now was that displacement rendered on the fly with low polygon base or was the base mesh subD level raised to get the detail, or was it normal mapped?

Anyways, what is impressive is that Lino is showing that LW can be looked at as a CA app which it is not commonly thought of. :thumbsup:

That Maya interface is a mess.

speismonqui
07-30-2010, 02:38 PM

the new dark gray UI belongs to LW, looks so much cleaner than LW9 and far better than maya.

probiner
07-30-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh wow, congrats to :newtek: for finally leaving the cat out although with some small confusion about project names and direction.

Congrats to artists that see their works stamped with the new release (parabéns Luís). Although i find a bit odd, using images that did not used the new tools as far as i know, but ok, they might have used a similar workflow; Fprime.

Checking out the videos...:thumbsup:

It is... but the character inteface it isn't and that was what he was adressing.

Cheers

BigHache
07-30-2010, 02:51 PM
IDK if this is public knowledge since 10 isn't fully released yet, but will the Virtual Cinematography have a specific list of cameras it can work with, or will it work with conceivably "any" camera with a FireWire input?

dwburman
07-30-2010, 03:41 PM
The Virtual Cinematography thing was shown using with the Intersense VCam system (http://www.intersense.com/products.aspx?id=421&LangType=1033). I don't know if it'll work with any other input system, but I'd like to find out.

I don't know of any cameras that have the motion tracking capabilities built-in, but there may be some out there. Most cameras don't know where they are or what direction they are pointing.

littlewaves
07-30-2010, 03:51 PM
Most cameras don't know where they are or what direction they are pointing.

I know how they feel

littlewaves
07-30-2010, 03:57 PM
dunno if someone's already mentioned this (probably have) but handheld really doesn't have a monopoly on cinematography so surely a poor man's alternative could easily be built into tripods and or dollys. No motion sensors required just some sort of calibrated click wheels.

Thinking out loud here guys. It probably shows.

h2oStudios
07-30-2010, 07:00 PM
Now was that displacement rendered on the fly with low polygon base or was the base mesh subD level raised to get the detail, or was it normal mapped?

From what I can tell, it seems the display patches were raised to facilitate the view-ability of the zb-displacement.

Snosrap
07-30-2010, 09:31 PM
They haven't really shown how Core can be used in production other than the demo where they added detail to the airplane.
Production ready? Not even close. Just think of Core as a plug-in for Lightwave at the moment. Maybe the Q4 release will be more, but for right now it is just too immature, clicky and buggy. However it is absolutely loaded with potential! Attached image was 100% modeled in Core and surfaced in LW10 with VPR active. All illumination comes from the gradient in the luminosity channel of the globe. Over a million polys and real-time updates with full radiosity with VPR!

realgray
07-31-2010, 12:34 AM
Production ready? Not even close. Just think of Core as a plug-in for Lightwave at the moment. Maybe the Q4 release will be more, but for right now it is just too immature, clicky and buggy. However it is absolutely loaded with potential! Attached image was 100% modeled in Core and surfaced in LW10 with VPR active. All illumination comes from the gradient in the luminosity channel of the globe. Over a million polys and real-time updates with full radiosity with VPR!

That's really nice. I wonder if they will start showing more artwork created with the new tools before the Q4 release?

mav3rick
07-31-2010, 04:10 AM
nice friend of mine is jumping lw 10 after siggraph presentation

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 05:49 AM
Don't be to sure about that, it'll have a better chance of getting to the right coder if you do.

Ok..I finally fogged them...hehe.

Kuzey

Cageman
07-31-2010, 06:20 AM
nice friend of mine is jumping lw 10 after siggraph presentation

Is he leaving LW or will he purchase a license? Sorry, I had to ask, because I think what you wrote can mean both things (leaving or joining).

sculptactive
07-31-2010, 07:23 AM
I read the LW10 info and am still unclear about a few points. I have probably missed the small print, but hopefully someone hear can clarify the points.

I cannot see any reference to manuals or transfer of ownership entitlements.

Will LW10 be the first release to ship without a printed manual?
Or will people be paying above the upgrade price for manuals later.

In the past LW was easy to sell with a transfer agreement,, but now with Hardcore it does not appear so straight forward.
Does this mean the new owner as well as getting the LW license, will also be entitled to join the Hardcore forum in place of the previous owner and be entitled to their personal upgrade rate for the next five upgrades?

These are minor and in my case not a deal breaker but for others it may be.

philhoole
07-31-2010, 07:54 AM
I don't think I have seen this answered before but is anyone able to confirm that current 9.6 plugins work OK in LW10?

I am specifically interested in the IFW Shaders and KRay.

Thanks

nickdigital
07-31-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't think I have seen this answered before but is anyone able to confirm that current 9.6 plugins work OK in LW10?

I am specifically interested in the IFW Shaders and KRay.

Thanks

I would assume yes. 10 is just the new version of Layout and Modeler with Core included.

As for IFWs working with vpr...not sure.

Intuition
07-31-2010, 09:59 AM

the new dark gray UI belongs to LW, looks so much cleaner than LW9 and far better than maya.

Oh dear.... were my shelves showing? Often times I have alot of the default Maya interface shut off because I use marking menus/hotboxes for most of my navigation.

Also, Maya looks busy to LW users in general but it displays lots of information really easily using icons. I was anti-icon for along time until I realized their potential for information display. I can see if I am in object vs component mode, which item types I want selectable or even displayed/hidden, which snaps are on/off, which common tools activated, what layer (display or render), openGL style, camera options, etc etc,

Maya is huuuge on the functionality and like a shuttle console has many readouts and dials. But like a nasa console its not very flattering either.

It does seem ironic that most maya people after regular use for a year or so end up marking menu/hotboxing around instead of using almost any part of the interface and these are of course text buttons. So in that regard it is more inline with LW. One thing I like about core is there might be marking menus or at least RMB context menus which can allow for a similar workflow as maya.

The one thing I will agree with you on in general though is that Maya has never really had a pretty interface. I really ended up liking it in the end because it can do so much. The Maya 2011 release added the QT nokia UI and it allows for easier customization but I just leave it at default layout anyways (with some things hidden) since I know where everything is. There are also custom color schemes to start with but none of them make me happy. I will make a custom theme that is brighter then the one shown here but darker then the last screen shot. All the included default colors are ugly. Where as Core has 3 themes I like right away.

Here is the default color scheme in 2011 with shelves detached. Usually how I run it, even though I think this grey is still a little too dark.

Lightwave's new LW 10 scheme is not to my liking either as I would like a brighter grey but not too bright either. Core has a theme grey that is perfect. Its not the default thor but some other name. I am trying to build a theme like it for maya and release it on the area.

Nemoid
07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
LOL i just recalled i had a strange question.
sorry to ask but : where the heck Lw 9.6.1 went ? :D

Intuition
07-31-2010, 10:16 AM
Here is the grey UI I like. So nice. So clean, so easy on the eyes.

Near perfection. I've arranged it like Maya too so that I have the same shortcut keys and the layout is similar as well. You can see the small RMB menu here.

This is the color theme I am copying to maya. So niiiice. Great work NT.

Nemoid
07-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Lovely UI ! i like the nice orange touches a la Modo. :agree:

realgray
07-31-2010, 10:26 AM

Near perfection. I've arranged it like Maya too so that I have the same shortcut keys and the layout is similar as well. You can see the small RMB menu here.

Beautiful :thumbsup:

Elmar Moelzer
07-31-2010, 10:43 AM
God, do I hate icons. They tell me absolutely nothing. Most icons in most applications that I have seen also are realy, realy badly designed. So they say even less to me than they could, if they were at least well designed.
So nah, I much prefer pure text buttons. Cleaner, easer to learn and much easier to teach. "Click the button that says "Surface Editor"" instead of "click the button that looks like a bunch of colored balls" and that really was one of the simpler examples. As we can see in the screenshot provided by Intuition it can get much worse as in "click the button that looks like a magnet with the 9 square grid, no, not the one with the 4 square grid!".
I have absolutely no idea what these buttons could mean.
In LW it is so much easier. For MAYA I would not only need someone to write a tutorial to explain to me how to do something, I would need an extra tutorial to tell me where to find each function, because it is hiding behind some stupid, ridiculous and completely pointless icon!

Intuition
07-31-2010, 11:06 AM
God, do I hate icons. They tell me absolutely nothing. Most icons in most applications that I have seen also are realy, realy badly designed. So they say even less to me than they could, if they were at least well designed.
So nah, I much prefer pure text buttons. Cleaner, easer to learn and much easier to teach. "Click the button that says "Surface Editor"" instead of "click the button that looks like a bunch of colored balls" and that really was one of the simpler examples. As we can see in the screenshot provided by Intuition it can get much worse as in "click the button that looks like a magnet with the 9 square grid, no, not the one with the 4 square grid!".
I have absolutely no idea what these buttons could mean.
In LW it is so much easier. For MAYA I would not only need someone to write a tutorial to explain to me how to do something, I would need an extra tutorial to tell me where to find each function, because it is hiding behind some stupid, ridiculous and completely pointless icon!

Over the course of 3 weeks (few years back now), I quickly appreciated the icons over any possible text buttons when it came to showing you an ON/OFF state. The magnets on the top row show which type of snaps are turned on. After you use them like twice you know which icons are telling you what. Why take up even more space with buttons that say "point snap" "grid snap" "curve snap" when an icon can do so in a much smaller space? Lightwave people complain how messy the Maya UI is but as soon as you need to know any information in LW you quickly delve into mutiple floating windows which each contain multiple tabs and drop down menus. Hey but at least a freshly started up UI is clean. Honestly I like Lightwave's UI and approach and can only say that feature funtionality is why I started using Maya. Over time the UI and it methodology even won me over.

You need more tutorials to learn the maya UI then you would have with the LW interface on the basis that it can show more information in less space and do more with less screen space.

But, I am not here to tell you to love icons or even maya for that matter. That is why you choose LW and I totally dig that and am glad. Each person has their own process and LW fits many people. I'll take some icon on/off buttons and you can have the floating windows with drop down menus. Maya allows me both. If I want to shut off all the icons and use only text buttons I can. They are there in the UI if I need them.

Just saying that icons are useless is like saying that text would be better served instead of icons in these cases....

In any case, my main point is that I really like the Core UI and how it allows you to have both text and/or icons which should make both you and I happy since we can make it do whatever we want. ;) :thumbsup:

Intuition
07-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Which now reminds me of another question. I can't remember how much control we had of LW's UI color themes. Is there a color preferences that we can use to change the colors of the UI?

jasonwestmas
07-31-2010, 12:00 PM

Here's the top 3 worst icons I've ever seen. I've seen them for 6 years now and they still make no sense. I usually have to click them a couple times to get the right one lol.

Cageman
07-31-2010, 12:02 PM
Which now reminds me of another question. I can't remember how much control we had of LW's UI color themes. Is there a color preferences that we can use to change the colors of the UI?

I believe it is done by changing values in the hub.

LW do have many very easy and intuitive ways of doing things, customization of UI isn't one of them.

About Maya, I never really had any problems with the UI. If I forget what an icon does, I usually just hower over it to get the tooltip.

Cageman
07-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Here's the top 3 worst icons I've ever seen. I've seen them for 6 years now and they still make no sense. I usually have to click them a couple times to get the right one lol.

LOL

I always make sure that I have those windows as floating windows. So I always only have the channelbox listed to the right. Never have to click the icons. Instead... Ctrl+a gives me the other windows as floating.

:D

Twisted_Pixel
07-31-2010, 12:05 PM

Make tank, drive tank, explode tank?

jasonwestmas
07-31-2010, 12:50 PM
LOL

I always make sure that I have those windows as floating windows. So I always only have the channelbox listed to the right. Never have to click the icons. Instead... Ctrl+a gives me the other windows as floating.

:D

haha, yeah that would help. I need a bigger screen.

jasonwestmas
07-31-2010, 12:51 PM
Make tank, drive tank, explode tank?

LOL, tank treads are all I see!

Elmar Moelzer
07-31-2010, 01:01 PM
Why take up even more space with buttons that say "point snap" "grid snap" "curve snap" when an icon can do so in a much smaller space?
Single Popup with text Options, like the Action Center Modes in Modeler.
Takes even less Screenspace.
Just saying...
For some(!) very frequently used things, icons are OK. But I prefer them to be few. Examples are the viewport controls. There Icons are OK and it makes sense to use icons there for space reasons. Those are a good example. I can not really think of many other spots where I prefer icons over textbuttons. I really cant.

Lightwave people complain how messy the Maya UI is but as soon as you need to know any information in LW you quickly delve into mutiple floating windows which each contain multiple tabs and drop down menus.
That is a very different issue. You do not need icons to solve this problem, though.

probiner
07-31-2010, 02:30 PM
Why take up even more space with buttons that say "point snap" "grid snap" "curve snap" when an icone can do so in a much smaller space?
I won't say a icon, but somthing mor simpler could have been done, i give you that.

Lightwave people complain how messy the Maya UI is but as soon as you need to know any information in LW you quickly delve into mutiple floating windows which each contain multiple tabs and drop down menus.
Agreed with you and with Elmar answer.
But the issue with icons, it's how toony they are sometimes, instead of abstract and direct like text. And you don't face all traffics signs at the same time, but has the situations show up on the road.
Text if badly organized can turn into a maze also, like a book out of the shelf
Personally i think icons could be only used to key actions or head groups and text for fill actions or elements of a group. Say you click a generic "rotate" button and then Twist, Vortex, Rotate+, etc, show up and you choose one. Now, having all these in your face, no, no, no.
Also, i don't know how Maya works, but calling an action by its name and then explaining someone "It's that spherical checkerboard icon with the green arrows" doesn't seem ok =P
Another thing is that LW uses indeed many icons for display and navigation itens where text would be stupid =P

Cheers

realgray
07-31-2010, 05:03 PM
Could someone tell me about the context clicking that Lino was doing in his rigging video? Is customizable context clicking a part of the enhanced Layout?

mav3rick
07-31-2010, 05:04 PM

very nice love it a lott

evenflcw
07-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Just wanted to add that the (newly uploaded) demo with Andrea from Nick Digital was awesome too. Those people do 2d in 3d like you wouldn't guess it was 3d. (Very cool but also very confusing). And Andrea was a refreshing change from all the stuffy old men. Van Dyke and Shatner in all honor, albeit entertaining, they aren't as pretty to watch!

Seeing Deuce, one of the actual developers is also nice. Those are the guys that make the tools we use! Was it even the case that he was the main guy, or one of the guys, that implemented the improved opengl/CG shaders? Good stuff.

Cageman
07-31-2010, 06:26 PM
Could someone tell me about the context clicking that Lino was doing in his rigging video? Is customizable context clicking a part of the enhanced Layout?

This is avaliable in LW today.. I would say even since LW7.x days. Shift+Ctrl+Mouse gives you the popup. Depending in wich mousebutton you press (it supports LMB, MMB and RMB) you can have different menus. Of course, you are still forced to cusomize them, but it is very much doable from many versions back.

Cageman
07-31-2010, 06:33 PM
Just wanted to add that the (newly uploaded) demo with Andrea from Nick Digital was awesome too. Those people do 2d in 3d like you wouldn't guess it was 3d. (Very cool but also very confusing). And Andrea was a refreshing change from all the stuffy old men. Van Dyke and Shatner in all honor, albeit entertaining, they aren't as pretty to watch!

Andrea was indeed a fresh breath. She looks so innocent, but deep down she is a Lightwaver. :)

I am always happy to see women in this context and I think NT should look hard and long to bring more of these wonderful artists (and yes, I say wonderful because the artists themselves are wonderful to look at, and they do wonderful work). Win-win situation, really. :)

Intuition
07-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Single Popup with text Options, like the Action Center Modes in Modeler.
Takes even less Screenspace.
Just saying...
For some(!) very frequently used things, icons are OK. But I prefer them to be few. Examples are the viewport controls. There Icons are OK and it makes sense to use icons there for space reasons. Those are a good example. I can not really think of many other spots where I prefer icons over textbuttons. I really cant.

That is a very different issue. You do not need icons to solve this problem, though.

:agree: This is all true to be sure. But, do you like the Core theme colors I posted :D ?

nickdigital
07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Just wanted to add that the (newly uploaded) demo with Andrea from Nick Digital was awesome too. Those people do 2d in 3d like you wouldn't guess it was 3d. (Very cool but also very confusing).

And Andrea was a refreshing change from all the stuffy old men. Van Dyke and Shatner in all honor, albeit entertaining, they aren't as pretty to watch!

Andrea was indeed a fresh breath. She looks so innocent, but deep down she is a Lightwaver. :)

I am always happy to see women in this context and I think NT should look hard and long to bring more of these wonderful artists (and yes, I say wonderful because the artists themselves are wonderful to look at, and they do wonderful work). Win-win situation, really. :)

I'll be sure to point out these posts to her. I'm sure she'll be flattered.

If something was confusing please point out what. I'm sure her or I could clarify the workflow/presentation.

Nemoid
08-01-2010, 12:01 AM
since i'm italian what i missed a bit is how to obtain the ink lines 2D style. is it made all within Lw as many use to do or witith another method?

Danner
08-01-2010, 12:57 AM
Andrea is cute. she does need some sun tho... Let her out of those shackles once in a while!

LW_Will
08-01-2010, 02:38 AM
The interface is gray so that it will not conflict with color on the screen. (GI? Linear Color? Hello??)

I enjoy LW10 because Rob Powers is there, telling those guys what is needed for the workflow.

Rob is my Joss. :)

nickdigital
08-01-2010, 09:19 AM
since i'm italian what i missed a bit is how to obtain the ink lines 2D style. is it made all within Lw as many use to do or witith another method?

Either LW lines or the Unreal Extreme plug-in. We use Unreal 99% of the time. Unreal is more predictable and easier to control.

nickdigital
08-01-2010, 09:33 AM
she does need some sun tho... Let her out of those shackles once in a while!

But then we would be behind schedule! :)

Philbert
08-01-2010, 10:19 AM
Will LW10 be the first release to ship without a printed manual?
Or will people be paying above the upgrade price for manuals later.

Of course I can't give an official answer, but if you look at the NewTek store you can buy it with or without a paper manual.

http://shop.newtek.com/fullversions.aspx

Granted that's for LW 9.x, but I'm guessing if you pay for a printed manual you'll also get a LW10 printed manual. Person ally I've come to prefer the HTML manual. I find it SO much easier to search for what I want instead of looking at a table of contents, then finding the page.

Titus
08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Either LW lines or the Unreal Extreme plug-in. We use Unreal 99% of the time. Unreal is more predictable and easier to control.

Just wanted to say I enjoyed your presentation.

nickdigital
08-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Just wanted to say I enjoyed your presentation.

I assume you're talking about me personally...Ernest. There were several of us from the dept talking.

Either way thanks! :D

Matt
08-01-2010, 12:32 PM

Sorry, had to say, I did that theme! ;)

The tool icons were done by Jameel Halabi.

Intuition
08-01-2010, 04:30 PM

Ah, Matt, now why would you apologize for a great theme like that? ;)

Well I suppose I can at least thank NT for giving you the framework for such flavorful UI. ;D

Philbert
08-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Posted a link to that UI screenshot on Twitter and got comments back

"@chrisWhite: Damn, that does look gorgeous!"

and

"@KimStrandli: Looks much nicer now, looks a bit more modern at least :p"

Titus
08-01-2010, 07:19 PM
I assume you're talking about me personally...Ernest. There were several of us from the dept talking.

Either way thanks! :D

Hey! I'm not saying you're hot or something (or need some tan), just that I liked the Nick presentation :D.

I found the Lino Grandi talk a little slow, but maybe it's just me because I hate rigging, he's without a doubt very gifted.

nickdigital
08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Hey! I'm not saying you're hot or something (or need some tan), just that I liked the Nick presentation :D.

Thx! I'll make sure to pass that on to the team. We were all hoping people would like what we had to show off.

Nemoid
08-02-2010, 12:52 AM

it is a great theme !! They should update Lw 10 modeler and Layout theme and make it look similar IMO.

archijam
08-02-2010, 08:27 AM
Nick - awesome stuff.

Just another :thumbsup: for the team ...

nickdigital
08-02-2010, 08:44 AM
Nick - awesome stuff.

Just another :thumbsup: for the team ...

Thx! :D

evolross
08-04-2010, 10:12 PM
But I still want to see the reels!
Yes, does anyone know how to see the latest and greatest LW show reel that we were all asked to support?