PDA

View Full Version : Bypass a broken dongle

Philbert
07-26-2010, 01:11 PM
Under new government rules if your dongle breaks and for some reason cannot be replaced it is now OK to bypass the security:

http://www.physorg.com/news199361076.html (about half way through the article)

Of course as long as NT is still in business this should not be a problem.

h2oStudios
07-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Sh'what?!! Nice! .... 'bout time if you ask me.

- allow blind people to break locks on electronic books so that they can use them with read-aloud software and similar aides.

I assume that one is of course implied that someone that is able to see will be performing the break??? wouldn't that pose a legal issue if the jailbreaking party is not the actual owner - let me shut up, lol.

I think it's good news.

RebelHill
07-26-2010, 01:29 PM
bypassing security is and always has been legal round my neck of the woods.

still... nice to see that you guys are finally getting a few more personal freedoms (;

Philbert
07-26-2010, 01:30 PM
If it's legal to break it what's the point in having security at all?

h2oStudios
07-26-2010, 01:31 PM
I'm pretty sure a lot of things are legal round your neck of the woods ;).

Hopper
07-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah that whole mess is pretty silly, as it's more or less common sense. If I own it legally, I can do with it whatever I want. If I break or lose my security dongle, I can use a crack program if I choose. As long as I'm not selling cracked copies of the software...nothing illegal about it.

Philbert
07-26-2010, 03:56 PM
Well you could do that, but that doesn't make it legal. (until now) According to the DMCA any circumventing of copy protection is illegal.

UnCommonGrafx
07-26-2010, 04:01 PM
MotionBuilder on shelves arise!! haha

This is a makes-sense law... how'd that happen?

shrox
07-26-2010, 04:31 PM
Ironic that within seconds an overlay demanding an upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 pops up and won't go away...

Hopper
07-26-2010, 04:57 PM
Well you could do that, but that doesn't make it legal. (until now) According to the DMCA any circumventing of copy protection is illegal.
Nope. The exclusion for users circumventing copyright mechanisms for non-infringement usage covers that.

It has never been illegal to modify software you have purchased nor will it ever be. Now what you do with it after that definitely has possible legal ramifications (i.e. handing out copies or attempting to sell copies of the modified software).

Philbert
07-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Cali Lewis will be on FOX4 Dallas tonight to talk about this, though she's probably going to focus mostly on jailbreaking.

RebelHill
07-27-2010, 03:03 AM
I'm pretty sure a lot of things are legal round your neck of the woods ;).

hahaha... well... up until they did a clean up of some of the old medieval statutes a few years back it was still legal to shoot a frenchman on a beach on a sunday (provided it was before noon and he was facing inland)...

But going the other way its also still illegal to have a pig in a bed... for which we have Mr Hitler to thank.... silly, silly mr hitler.