PDA

View Full Version : Camera view angle when NOT selected

jeric_synergy
07-26-2010, 12:52 PM
When the camera is selected you can see its view angle in the UI. When it is not selected, this display vanishes. (It's depicted as a pyramid.)

Is there a way to have an OBJECT selected, but still see this display? Some Custom Object perhaps? (As in: make null, parent to camera, apply Custom Object.)

Thanks.

transistor
07-26-2010, 01:45 PM
hey, i don't know if there is something that will generate the "pyramid" for you based on the camera settings, such as aspect ratio, and focal length...

But yeah, your idea of using a null and applying an an item shape will work. Select the null, type p for properties, click geometry tab and add custom object - select item shape. and then choose the pyramid shape. Orient the null, and then parent it to the camera. You may want to make the size of pyramid larger.

This will always show you where the camera is pointed - but the problem I see with this idea, is that the pyramid item shape is a perfect square. most of the time, the camera frame won't be a square.

Maybe a more thorough solution would be this:

Simply make a pyramid in modeler. Design it so it will have the exact proportions of your camera frame. (16:9, etc, etc.). Simply bring the new shape to layout, set it to wireframe mode, and unseen by camera. Orient, scale, and parent.

What do you think?

jeric_synergy
07-26-2010, 11:07 PM
Maybe a more thorough solution would be this:

Simply make a pyramid in modeler. Design it so it will have the exact proportions of your camera frame. (16:9, etc, etc.). Simply bring the new shape to layout, set it to wireframe mode, and unseen by camera. Orient, scale, and parent.

What do you think?
That's pretty much what I did, with the change that I used the STRAND TOOL to create a wire-frame pyramid (after tapering a rectangle). Then I just eyeballed the Camera display to SCALE the pyramid accordingly.

Close enough. :thumbsup:

The real thing would react to AR, zoom, etc-- I think you could do it w/Lscripts. TTYTTruth, I was a little surprised we don't already have this, TMK.

Dexter2999
07-26-2010, 11:44 PM
I just did this with null pulled to the corners of the camera viewport. Set the goals in the motion options. You can get as fancy as you want with experessions and such I suppose.

jeric_synergy
07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
The bad part is, w/o expressions beyond my skill level, the object doesn't react to the zoom factor. Fortunately, I rarely zoom during a given shot.

transistor
07-29-2010, 04:27 AM
You guys are going to like this one... ...

I was trying to learn depth of field and found this tutorial. There is a custom object that can be used to show the focal distance and f-stop of the camera even when the camera is not selected.

I'm pretty sure it does not require that you use dof.

Basically, you just create a null. Parent to the camera, p for properties, add custom object "depth of field display."

This box that it creates will respond to aspect ratio, focal length, and depth of field (focal distance, and f-stop). I thought it was pretty killer, and needed to share with you.

Here is the full tutorial: http://www.dbki.de/tutorials/eng/dof/index.htm

jeric_synergy
07-29-2010, 11:18 PM
Thanks Transistor. I knew I'd seen something like that, but I think the name didn't leap out at me. :thumbsup:

And nobody but Transistor remembered it, so I feel okay about myself. :D

Lightwolf
07-30-2010, 12:14 AM
You can also use the depth of field custom object, hook it up to a null and parent that to the camera (without any translation applied to the null).

Cheers,
Mike

jeric_synergy
07-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Basically, you just create a null. Parent to the camera, p for properties, add custom object "depth of field display."

This is most useful (when you're NOT using DOF) when you set the camera's F-stop to a very high number.