PDA

View Full Version : Struggling Newby...

barbieboy
07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am down at the bottom of the pile with my LW skills, but not giving up just yet !

Ok, trying to build a 12" speaker, no cabinet, just the bass woofer its self. Done everything bar the rubber surround where the cone meets the frame.
Wasted all Sunday trying to do this... Guess I need a 300mm thin 'dough nut' type ring ? Found the Toroid tool, but way too fat and bringing up Numeric changed little here.

Any tips would be much appreciated :eek:

Thanks

Kuzey
07-26-2010, 12:42 PM
Post some pics of how far you got.

But, going by the description...I would create a disc the size you want, bevel the end caps and then bridge them to create the hole.

Kuzey

Castius
07-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Look up rail bevel. It's under the multiply tab under "more"

Dexter2999
07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
You could also create the shape you want (either by editing a standard shape or drawing a spline shape) then use the lathe tool to create the circle.

Good Luck

jrandom
07-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Another method is to create a Wedge with 360 degrees and a non-zero inner radius and then just non-uniform scale it to the proper dimensions.

VicMackey
07-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Try out some of the excellent tutorials for Lightwave. Dan Ablan is someone who goes into projects from start to finish, and goes through most of the modelling tools. You can find his stuff at 3D Garage on the net, or his Inside Lightwave books. You can also download many of the free newtek tutorials.

barbieboy
07-26-2010, 05:34 PM
Post some pics of how far you got.

But, going by the description...I would create a disc the size you want, bevel the end caps and then bridge them to create the hole.

Kuzey

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/speakerscreengrab.jpg

Ok thanks, I have created a disc and a larger one which has been bored out, but lost on how to make it round still...

barbieboy
07-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Look up rail bevel. It's under the multiply tab under "more"

Thanks, found it and gave it a try with the disc cut out, but sent my pc loopy using up all 8gig of ram for 10mins when I hit the N key.l I cancelled it in the end eee....

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/speakerscreengrab3.jpg

barbieboy
07-26-2010, 05:49 PM
Try out some of the excellent tutorials for Lightwave. Dan Ablan is someone who goes into projects from start to finish, and goes through most of the modelling tools. You can find his stuff at 3D Garage on the net, or his Inside Lightwave books. You can also download many of the free newtek tutorials.

Thanks, I have sat through a few of the tutorials on the Newtek site. I really do need a complete idiots guide to modelling, with every move to every tool not missed out !

barbieboy
07-26-2010, 06:04 PM
You could also create the shape you want (either by editing a standard shape or drawing a spline shape) then use the lathe tool to create the circle.

Good Luck

Ok thanks, gave the lathe a go without much success, will try again in the morning - thanks :thumbsup:

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/speakerscreengrab2.jpg

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 07:10 AM
Post the reference pic you are using...should clear things up a bit.

Kuzey

barbieboy
07-27-2010, 07:43 AM
Post the reference pic you are using...should clear things up a bit.

Kuzey

Ah ok, here is, though mine won't have the dust cap indented nor any writing on it.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/big.jpg

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Ok...here's a little tutorial :D

Basically, I created a small sphere with not that many segments.

With the sphere in the background layer, I beveled the disc using the outline of the sphere as a guide.

Anyway..attached are the video and files, should get you in the right direction :D

ps. looking at it....the sphere should have had one or more additional segments...to make it more round.

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 01:01 PM
Haha...I realized after posting that....that a flat disc would have been better than a sphere....slaps forehead :hey:

Kuzey

Waves of light
07-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Haha...I realized after posting that....that a flat disc would have been better than a sphere....slaps forehead :hey:

Kuzey

You are human after all!!! :D

jrandom
07-27-2010, 02:25 PM

I've had my doubts. I was hoping he'd make some tutorials so I could investigate them for extraterrestrial influences.

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 02:34 PM

I've had my doubts. I was hoping he'd make some tutorials so I could investigate them for extraterrestrial influences.

My forehead cane get pretty red at times...with all that slapping..hehe.

I've set my mind on those tutorials, I'm thinking about the tools I use everyday and the possible shapes one can do...so, hopefully, things will happen once the ideas develop in my mind. :hey:

Kuzey

Waves of light
07-27-2010, 02:39 PM

Jezzz, I wouldn't be surprised if he appears in a Simpson's episode soon... lol.

Waves of light
07-27-2010, 04:08 PM
OK... having thought a little more about this and with the ideas mentioned above, here is what I would do:

1. Create a disc in the left viewport, so that it is the size of the rubber surround you need.
2. Delete points so that you have just half of the disc.
3. Lathe. 360 centre 0,0,0 for X, Y and Z
4. You may need to flip all the polys if there are facing the wrong way (by pressing f on the keyboard)

barbieboy
07-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Another method is to create a Wedge with 360 degrees and a non-zero inner radius and then just non-uniform scale it to the proper dimensions.

Ok, just tried jramdom's wedge method - it works :hey: But still rectangular surface, then sub-patched it (Catmull Clark) and Freezed it. That seems to have done the job :thumbsup:

Now shall try all the other suggestions as a learning curve !

Thanks everyone !

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/Speakerrubbersurroundbywedge.jpg

jrandom
07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Ok, just tried jramdom's wedge method - it works :hey: But still rectangular surface, then sub-patched it (Catmull Clark) and Freezed it. That seems to have done the job :thumbsup:

When I made that suggestion I didn't understand that the top half was supposed to be round! All becomes clearer...

You could even bandsaw the top to get more control over the amount and shape of curvature, too.

barbieboy
07-27-2010, 06:14 PM
When I made that suggestion I didn't understand that the top half was supposed to be round! All becomes clearer...

You could even bandsaw the top to get more control over the amount and shape of curvature, too.

Ha ha - really ?! Anyway, it has worked for me. Guess I could slice it in half as I all to be round.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t154/BarbieMarcus_bucket/Lightwave/Speaker12inchconetest_rgb0001.jpg

BTW, for the same crazy reason the top hole refused to boolean out, did them all in the one hit, tried a few times, always the same one. Rogue....

barbieboy
07-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Ok...here's a little tutorial :D

Basically, I created a small sphere with not that many segments.

With the sphere in the background layer, I beveled the disc using the outline of the sphere as a guide.

Anyway..attached are the video and files, should get you in the right direction :D

ps. looking at it....the sphere should have had one or more additional segments...to make it more round.

Kuzey

Many thanks for the vid etc, Kuzey, so cool of you :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Anytime :thumbsup:

Having looked at your current problem with the top hole....it seems like you need more segments in that n-gon.

You can select a couple points and split the polygon on either side of where the hole will be...as shown in the pic. Do the same for the backside face and maybe....the top and bottom sides for good measure, then try the Boolean again...see if that helps.

Kuzey

lardbros
07-28-2010, 06:08 AM
Also, if booleans don't cut like that, you can rotate the cutting tool/layer so it cuts in a different place. This tends to work, as it generally happens in certain places on a mesh if it's too close to other edges/polys or there aren't enough edges etc nearby.