COBRASoft
07-26-2010, 01:54 AM
It's working here...

erikals
07-26-2010, 01:58 AM
yup, looks like they fixed it :]

benhaines
07-28-2010, 01:52 AM
Sorry we've been having a few server issues, we will be migrating presetcentral.com and lightwiki.com to a new server shortly.

For the moment its a daily reboot ;(

archijam
07-28-2010, 01:57 AM
Preset Central FTW !

daforum
07-28-2010, 03:34 AM
Lovin' presetcentral :)

jaf
10-23-2010, 06:23 PM
I notice it's been down for a least a week now. Any news?

benhaines
10-24-2010, 04:10 AM
It will be back shortly. I'm in the process of migrating it to a new server.... sloooowly ;) (work commitments are taking up most of my spare time).

Sorry

djlithium
10-24-2010, 06:06 AM
seems like its that time of year. We just finished our migration as well. Whew... let us know when you are back up! :)

snsmoore
10-30-2010, 01:45 PM
Preset Central is great! I appreciate all your hard work. Do you have a donation section so users of the site can contribute a little cash to offset costs?

OnlineRender
10-30-2010, 02:03 PM
/\ /\preset FTW /\/\

benhaines
11-01-2010, 04:16 PM
All back to normal guys...

So does anybody know what presets are going to look like in LW10?

Does the community want an updated site for LW10? Do we care?

speismonqui
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM
:thumbsup:

sure! I care!
A massive campaign would be great! New Lightwave, new/updated websites, shaders, plugins, scripts, 3rd parties, developers, etc... All togheter in one global launch!

JamesCurtis
11-01-2010, 05:20 PM
All back to normal guys...

Just checked the site, and noticed "Files" are saving at 0 bytes with nothing in them!!

dee
11-03-2010, 04:48 AM
Just checked the site, and noticed "Files" are saving at 0 bytes with nothing in them!!

I can confirm this, presets are ok but files are 0 bytes.

archijam
11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
ben - wont say more than yes please :)

i think we know it bodes well for pc that matt is now onboard at nt .. perhaps even ask him if nt would support pc?

Shiny_Mike
11-03-2010, 04:31 PM
I was wondering if a 'speed modeling' type challenge might get some new preset content rolling in? Come up with a theme, upload some simple objects and people get an hour to make materials, could be fun..

Peter Ekberg
12-04-2010, 08:48 AM
What is the status on presetcentral ??
I can't get in contact with admins/owners

/Peter

COBRASoft
12-04-2010, 12:25 PM
PresetCentral seems to be working again, just tested...

Peter Ekberg
12-04-2010, 02:35 PM
ok try to dl and extract files for this preset
http://www.presetcentral.com/preset/68/

COBRASoft
12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, apparently that's not working. But I have attached that very preset since I've donwloaded it in the past. I'm sure Matt wouldn't mind if I post it here. Otherwise, he can delete this post since he's working for NT now :).

Peter Ekberg
12-05-2010, 01:38 AM
thx CobraSoft

but it would be great to get a hold of the admins om PresetCentral

COBRASoft
12-05-2010, 01:53 PM
np, I agree it would be nice to have everything working again.

On the other hand, now that Matt is working for NT, PresetCentral should become a part of NT's website, just my opinion.

archijam
12-05-2010, 02:18 PM
cobra .. I too am hoping matt can arrange something ...

erikals
12-05-2010, 04:10 PM
...PresetCentral should become a part of NT's website, just my opinion.

http://erikalstad.com/backup/anims.php_files/agree.gif

GraphXs
12-06-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes, that would be great! Matt/Nt? It would also be great if they had a bunch of Node based ones to load on a surface. Newtek? Ya can release it for v10, and just continue to update it through-out the years, a few a quarter, that would be sweet!

benhaines
12-07-2010, 05:53 AM
@Peter Ekberg - have just sent you a note about contact us, was an issue with our mail server :( all works now!

NT running PSC? Mmmh sounds good... truth is users need something like psplant (our tool that never quite made it), nice integration with LW, a system for sharing assets (presets and others) via the net...

Having to download presets, unzip them, copy them to the right location, etc. is a pain. PSPlant tried to make that painless.

OnlineRender
12-07-2010, 06:28 AM
@Peter Ekberg - have just sent you a note about contact us, was an issue with our mail server :( all works now!

NT running PSC? Mmmh sounds good... truth is users need something like psplant (our tool that never quite made it), nice integration with LW, a system for sharing assets (presets and others) via the net...

Having to download presets, unzip them, copy them to the right location, etc. is a pain. PSPlant tried to make that painless.

What happened to psplant ,you can still download it ,correct ?

would be nice if NT integrated or even just supported it .

benhaines
12-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Sadly a case of the dev and I running out of time. It was all done in our spare time

I honestly doubt Newtek would take on PSPlant. A far better strategy would be to incorporate a feature allowing access to external libraries from Lightwave itself.

Define a simple API, that the community can adopt and develop for.

PSPlant was written in .net and wouldn't be easily ported. My understanding with Lightwave 10 is that it is still cross-platform, so Mac, Linux (hopefully!) and Windows.

I'm not familiar with Lightwave 10's plugin architecture, but it may be possible to use a plugin for this kind of functionality.

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 01:10 PM
benhaines: I'm a .Net developer (mostly VB). I could take a look at it if you want and allowed. I have a lot of components and ideas for such a thing. If you have the webspace, I should have the knowledge :D. If you can't provide me the code, perhaps I can think of something if you could share your thoughts, with or without Matt/NT. I would certainly do this free of charge.

archijam
12-07-2010, 02:13 PM
cobra - nice! :)

ben - since the early idea of web interface directly in core viewports, perhaps at some stage in the future there could be an app-less route, an alternative screen of the same db, for example.

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
archijam: I haven't done anything yet :D, although I would certainly make time free for this ASAP. It would be nice if I could finally do something back for the community!

About web interface... I'm learning SilverLight atm, so this could be possible in a future version of the app.

benhaines
12-07-2010, 03:44 PM
@COBRAsoft, thanks for the offer. You are most welcome to checkout the source here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/psplant/files/

I couldn't tell you what state the web service is in. I don't believe its up anymore.

Truth is I think it really needs a different approach. This is something bigger than presets... any assets, just like Modo and it needs to be core to LW (excuse the pun). I guess Matt can't really comment now that he is a NT employee.

What do people think?

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Ben: are you on msn? I'm on [email protected] Perhaps we can share some basic thoughts right away?

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 04:15 PM
I've downloaded the project, unfortunately the webservice is not working at first sight. I was able to compile the project and start it though. Is there a way to restart the webservice?

benhaines
12-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Not without me digging out the code and setting it up on our webserver. I'm not saying it isn't possible.

But we should be focusing the conversation on how Lightwave 10 exchanges assets amongst its users.

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Ok, what database is used for PresetCentral? I guess MySQL?

benhaines
12-07-2010, 05:49 PM
MySQL indeed...

Re the issue of 0 byte file downloads, this has now been fixed.

COBRASoft
12-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Benhaines, if you could fix that webservice, I certainly want to help getting PSPlant working.
If not, I will think about another solution. It would be .Net only, I have no knowledge of PHP, sorry.

Everybody who has realistic ideas, please let them come.

OnlineRender
12-08-2010, 04:01 AM
how you would implement this I have no clue . :rock:

Ben is correct , you should be thinking more about integration with LW architecture.

LW9+ , you need a pluggin for lw that will global hook you up to presets mysql database , in which you can easily browseand install with the presets panel , which means a nice quick responsive UI in-turn .

It's very ignorant of me not to remember who this person is so I do apologise , think it may have been James ,but I am talking about the chat pluggin writtin for LW , it works on the principle of calling up on LW and syncing to mysql .he might be the guy to ask for help , also ping Matt I am sure he will have good understanding of the best way to implement this .

good luck , because if you get it working ,the possibilities are endless .

COBRASoft
12-08-2010, 04:17 AM
I agree, inside LW would be awesome, but my knowledge of C and C++ is very limited. I don't even know how to develop with the LW SDK. Unfortunately, I don't have enough spare time to study another language and an SDK.
My 'language' is .Net and SQL Server (MySQL is not that different, so that's ok). If I would make something, it would be in this language and Windows only.

Peter Ekberg
12-08-2010, 10:28 AM
well i have knowledge regarding PHP and MySQL so if i can assist in any way pls. let me know i rely like the PresetCentral idea and would rely like it to be a must have tool for LW.

If it would be able to integrate in LW, GREATE but not a must i think.
Just a good tool that when you click on desired surface it justs installs it in LW by auto would do.

Cheers' Peter

COBRASoft
12-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Peter, perhaps you can help with the webservice. As soon as that is working again, I can look what's missing in the PSPlant program and try to make it all work again.

Peter Ekberg
12-08-2010, 12:46 PM
maybe if some one sends me the details on whats needed i will see what i can do ;)

COBRASoft
12-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Peter: I think you should contact Ben for that.

Peter Ekberg
12-09-2010, 06:08 AM
@Ben
What is needed to start up this again :)

/Peter

OnlineRender
12-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Guys & Gals if you want " I can set up a development hub ,where you can post upload files and follow each others work" the sites still alpha , but I need to start pushing my servers a little more . let me know and I will Pm details .

OnlineRender
12-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Would something like this be good enough for you peps to keep track of each other ???? and would you use it ??
its WIP and buggy atm , but if you want I can pm login detials .

I also need a logo made for the group Lightwave Coders , if anybody has free time ?
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/9673/dash.gif

ability to upload files
group follow
member follow
video
media
share links
video chat
+ more

probiner
03-12-2012, 09:25 AM
Bumping this thread today, because it seems to be down again =(

benhaines
03-12-2012, 10:03 AM
A few server issues, support are on to it ;)

MentalFish
03-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Time for NewTek to grab this concept by its horns and integrate a LightWave Asset Store into LW, similar to the Unity Asset Store: http://unity3d.com/unity/asset-store/

probiner
03-12-2012, 04:04 PM
It's back up, yay. Thanks Ben! :)

@Mentalfish: For sure. It does come out like NT could profit and give to profit much more from the community, having resources built on it and integrated with NT site.
Efforts like Preset Central are an example.

Let's see where LightWiki goes. :)

benhaines
03-12-2012, 04:14 PM
@MentalFish, I couldn't agree more. Its a shame really, I'd happily transfer the domain, code, etc.

shrox
03-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Time for NewTek to grab this concept by its horns and integrate a LightWave Asset Store into LW, similar to the Unity Asset Store: http://unity3d.com/unity/asset-store/

I concur.

rcallicotte
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
This site is fantastic - an absolute wonderful treasure house. YA-HOOOO!

benhaines
03-13-2012, 08:39 AM
So who do we need to lobby? Who is the product manager for Lightwave?

(sorry I've been out of the loop for many years now and don't use LW anymore, or graphics packages for that matter)

Having an interface to a marketplace like presetcentral.com from within the application would be a great win. Nice integration would include easy download, sharing and purchasing.

If Newtek own and host it then there is no conflict of interest either. Presetcentral.com is after all not the only Lightwave preset site ;)

I'll say it again. I'd happily transfer the domain name, code and database. I'm happy to keep running the service, but it is only costing me money at the moment :) and it will eventually be shutdown, unless a new owner can be found.

erikals
03-13-2012, 08:41 AM
merge it with Lightwiki..?

benhaines
03-13-2012, 08:49 AM
No offense to Ben, but I think it would suffer the same problems as it does currently.

For it to be a real success it needs Newtek to own it and integrate it into the application.

MentalFish
03-13-2012, 08:57 AM
No offense to Ben, but I think it would suffer the same problems as it does currently.

For it to be a real success it needs Newtek to own it and integrate it into the application.

:agree:

GandB
03-13-2012, 09:02 AM
"Time for NewTek to grab this concept by its horns and integrate a LightWave Asset Store into LW, similar to the Unity Asset Store:"

I already proposed this very thing awhile back here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1183396&postcount=3

As you can see; it didn't gain any traction at all, nor did it entice any NT Devs to chime in. I tried laying things out in a practical way for them; but after awhile, I grew tired of seeming to talk to myself (and 2 or 3 others). As I said in that thread; the company I help out from time to time created an Asset Store that is directly linked to one of their products (FPSCreator), quite a bit before Unity came out with theirs. It works GREAT (for both companies)!

OnlineRender
03-13-2012, 09:06 AM
it could run off lightwiki servers no problem and integrating it would not be an issue , but I second what everyone else is thinking if NT bought or owned it they could have 1 click mysql sync for example you make a material or preset on the options panel save to local save to preset central server , "public or locked"

GandB
03-13-2012, 09:10 AM
It would definitely be a good alternate source of income for both the LW Artist and NewTek. But it's up to them to save/help themselves; we can't do it for them.

MentalFish
03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
I already proposed this very thing awhile back here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showpost.php?p=1183396&postcount=3

Kewl, I wrote a lengthy feature request back in 2009, offering my time to help out with a store solution. Snippet:
It could be runned as a type of "wiki" and potentially you could also let users specify a price for the content, and make it a LightWave specific "AppStore".

Met with silence also.

OnlineRender
03-13-2012, 09:27 AM
I'll say it again. I'd happily transfer the domain name, code and database. I'm happy to keep running the service, but it is only costing me money at the moment :) and it will eventually be shutdown, unless a new owner can be found.

it cannot be shutdown_not ever it's too valuable of a source look at flay , there is very little Lightwave sites atm as it is , but I fully understand the price it comes at , our servers are expensive and come December personally I will not be able to afford the renewal so I have two options downsize or run another donation promotion...

atm the moment we pull the rss feeds for preset and I have been looking at the same material for some time now ,seems people signup to download rather submit , this has to be goal driven and supported by Newtek in some form ... even if its lscript driven that hooks the sql

GandB
03-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Kewl, I wrote a lengthy feature request back in 2009, offering my time to help out with a store solution. Snippet:

Met with silence also.

Well; at least I know I'm not the only one then. :D

Maybe NT doesn't want any extra income? You can't help those that won't help themselves I'm afraid.

rcallicotte
03-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Luxology's is free. So let's charge money for this one. Not.

OnlineRender
03-13-2012, 10:54 AM
Well; at least I know I'm not the only one then. :D

Maybe NT doesn't want any extra income? You can't help those that won't help themselves I'm afraid.

that motive is wrong it's not about extra money ,NEWTEK ARE A HUGE COMPANY it's about a)keep users up to date b) keep the user happy c) delivering the goods in a professionally manner, they would make pennies off it in terms of sales percentage nothing compared to selling 3 tricaster seats that week ..

GandB
03-13-2012, 11:10 AM
You seriously have no idea what the numbers would be, do you? The company I work with makes thousands/month off of their store; which is only a few years old. I suspect Unity is (or will be) doing the same.

As far as NT being a "huge company"; I hear others telling us to give them a break with the issues they've had because they are a "small company"....which is it?

OnlineRender
03-13-2012, 01:04 PM
You seriously have no idea what the numbers would be, do you? The company I work with makes thousands/month off of their store; which is only a few years old. I suspect Unity is (or will be) doing the same.

a_ I have a general grasp of how much income it can generate XNA take nearly 70% from myself so yes seriously I do have an idea ... but would that be a good indication / reason to take money from users wanting to publish there work via newtek if anything newtek would / should not take a cut of sales especially in the beginning and take into consideration the number of developers for unity vrs lightwave its 10fold, it would be ignorant and a darn cheek to take a cut from people who should be givin a solid platform to publish from

As far as NT being a "huge company"; I hear others telling us to give them a break with the issues they've had because they are a "small company"....which is it?

b_ it's perceived however you like it! why do you need me to tell you "WHICH IS IT ?" can you not make up your own opinion do you need someone to hold you by the hand and make a choice for you ? it's getting rather redundant listening to same people over and over again slating a company lets face it has had some problems recently but are slowly trying to rectify this ,its all very well and dandy giving suggestions and insight but to the point it drags out in open makes it futile, there seems to be this overwhelming trend that software has to be cool to be used ask yourself this a)does lightWave make you money b)do you like using it?c)does it get the job done?, if you answer "yes" for any of the above everything else is secondary

GandB
03-13-2012, 08:28 PM
The market in question (integrated media store, etc.) takes 50%. This is used for marketing purposes, bandwidth, etc. You can also sell on places like Turbosquid (which take a whopping 60% if you're not in their "guild"). A store set up to be used as we've discussed above and previously would be a good additional income for any media creator who's already selling in other areas. I have no idea where you're coming from with the "it would be ignorant and a darn cheek to take a cut from people who should be givin a solid platform to publish from" comment. Are you saying it should be a free service to any Lightwave artist to use? If NT can swing it, then I'm all for that too. Either way; having another outlet (especially one that is centered around an App of choice) would be a good thing....free or not. If it takes NT getting a cut, then so be it.

I'm simply pointing out that it seems convenient to call NT a small company when it suits one purpose/argument; and then calling it a large company when it suits another purpose/argument. It's also getting redundant listening to people jumping all over others who don't agree (even verbosely) with how things have went...and are going.