PDA

View Full Version : Sculptris snapped up

Nangleator
07-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Pixologic, of course. (http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=090617)

geothefaust
07-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Yep, annoying. We've been discussing it heavily on the 3DC and Setuptab forums. We'll see what happens...

mikala
07-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Glad to see it.
Not only that but the guy devving it is going to be working with Pixologic now.

geothefaust
07-26-2010, 01:28 AM
I guess that depends on your point of view. It could be a company eating buyout. It could be a merging of technologies. It could be a complete shut down of the application eventually.

Point is, we don't know. So it could be good or bad - At the moment it sucks, IMHO, because scultris might be subject to the slow *ss sh*t development of pixologic, I suspect it will be... So yes, that sucks.

cresshead
07-26-2010, 01:34 AM
looks a good move for the chap who developed the app, going to the usa to work at pixologic is a BIG move up.

TeZzy
07-26-2010, 01:45 AM
If I recall correctly, Tomas wasn't taking the app further....probably only bug fixes(and that is a maybe). So I really don't get this notion of sculptris dying. So if Pixologic buys it out and kills it, then there really isn't a difference. And honestly don't you guys think that it's a good thing that Tomas is actually joining a team and making a difference?

So yes, from Tomas' POV, pixologic's POV and the users(and users of other apps) POV, it is a good thing no matter how you look at it, because it will mean improving a already powerful program and make for competition.

geothefaust
07-26-2010, 01:48 AM
He wasn't going to kill it off - He was going to make it open source. Which IMHO is way more important to the community than working at pixologic. I'm sure that's some sort of personal achievement for him, and that is great, but as far having it open source (or not now in this case) really sucks. I'm fairly certain that is why pixologic snatched it up in such a hurry, they don't want something free, and open source out there on the market taking up their market share.

TeZzy
07-26-2010, 01:54 AM
I know he wasn't definite about it

"I will chill out for a few months after release, sit on the source and see how things pan out. Open source is good for porting, but design by committee can lead to compromises and lack of focus. It might not be the greatest way to expand on an application like this. "

This was something he said.....maybe he changed his mind but as you can see it doesn't sound like he was going to make it open source or atleast only thinking about it

Netvudu
07-26-2010, 04:12 AM
yeah, he definitely stated that he was not going to move it any further. think this is very good both for him and for the software. His ideas can now be implemented into ZBrush in different shapes (pun not intended).

Matt
07-26-2010, 04:18 AM
"I will chill out for a few months after release, sit on the source and see how things pan out. Open source is good for porting, but design by committee can lead to compromises and lack of focus. It might not be the greatest way to expand on an application like this. "

Totally agree on his comments about Open Source development.

akademus
07-26-2010, 04:22 AM
Thats something NT should have done with 3DCoat a long time ago...

TeZzy
07-26-2010, 04:30 AM
Oh and read this. This thread will back up what I said about him not wanting to take it further as it's a hobby. And it's recent.

http://drpetter.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sculptris&action=display&thread=954

mikala
07-26-2010, 06:56 AM
He wasn't going to kill it off - He was going to make it open source. Which IMHO is way more important to the community than working at pixologic. I'm sure that's some sort of personal achievement for him, and that is great, but as far having it open source (or not now in this case) really sucks. I'm fairly certain that is why pixologic snatched it up in such a hurry, they don't want something free, and open source out there on the market taking up their market share.

Which 3DCoat would not like either I'm sure.
I'm happy for the guy. With the economy as it is in most places who can blame him for going the way he has.
It's easy for the community to scream "Open source open source " when they are not the ones taking the time and energy to build these programs but instead just ...taking.

zarti
07-26-2010, 07:11 AM
well first things first
congrats on being headhunted by pixologic DrPetter im sure this position at pixologic will bring you much security (not to mention a nice steady cashflow).

and now for my opinion (and it is just an opinion)
pixologic got caught with their pants down BY ONE MAN (albeit a brillint man), sculptris beat zbrush on so may fronts (ease of use/simplicity/dynamic tesselation) to name a few. Pixologic saw their own future and it wasnt looking bright, the reason for that is IF DrPetter decided to further develop sculptris with say more carving brushes, a better flatten tool (like i described being able to set the flatten angle) then z-brushes days were numbered despite them working on zbrush 4.
Zbrush costs alot of money and yet is awkward to use difficult to learn (to get the best out of it) and only has levels of subdivision over the entire mesh, sculptris however is sooo simple to use, it is intuitive and has a very shallow learning curve (like 10 mins). But most importantly sculptris is FREE.
So what are pixologic to do?. they discover a program that beats zbrush for ease of use etc..and for them the worst thing out of it all is that a single guy programmed it, i mean imagine the kick in the teeth for them that fact is one guy beats an entire company of programmers (wtg DrPettter).
So this leaves pixologic with a few choices.
1 ignore it and hope it fails (not likely considering the amount of activity we have here)
2 reverse engineer the code and steal it (lawsuit anyone)
3 hire the programmer and squash its development (this is the one they picked)

this is my theory on what happens now...
sculptris will be kept "free" by pixologic but its development ceases, it will be touted by pixologic as "an introduction to 3d sculpting". ALL of the code from sculptris will be integrated into z-brush 4 (poss 5) giving them a head start over things like mudbox when it comes to dynamic tesselation. development of sculptris (in its zbrush incarnation) will continue with DrPetter as head of the team (it's his code after all).
Pixologic will "strongly" encourage us free users to migrate over to z-brush (and also its cost) as it has become "the new sculptris", DrPetter will have a sweet and settled life (grats again) the rest of us die hard free users will continue to fill this board with continually better and better sculptworks.

the only way im going to switch to "z-sculptris"....give it to me for free, otherwise take your high price and shove it, long live free sculptris..

narf

this post quoted above from fragme here (http://drpetter.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=gotopost&board=sculptris&thread=954&post=10419) is a gram more or a gram less from the True ( imo , oc ) .

this makes me reconsider totally my perception about AD .

if , even , PIXOLOGIC does this , that doesn't mean that PIXOLOGIC is ' bad '.

at the same time , that does mean to that AD isn't ' bad ' either .

those simply have reasons to do it and above all ; THEY CAN ! ( i wish NT could get something like that ;) )

personally , i do not mind it ... in fact that's ' their business ' what they do with each other . ( maybe this was the target of Sculptris-Maker itself ... )

what would made real Sad , would be if that the-sculptris-philosophy could be stopped or nonsensely-integrated within the alien-philosophy of zbrush ( ?!!? ) .

its simplicity , effectiveness and speed ; simply would be lost there ...

... but at the same time , there is hope that another new sculpting program could be at its embryonic phase :D . this is the circle of life ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX07j9SDFcc

.cheers

mikala
07-26-2010, 07:18 AM
Never seen a rant more slanted by the gimme crowd than that.

Nangleator
07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Never seen a rant more slanted by the gimme crowd than that.
Yes, for shame, you people wanting something! Especially when it interferes with a company wanting something!

mikala
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Actually yes it is.
I guess I should demand that you all model me top quality models with your free time for free and send them to me on your own dime.
Wait what was that? You don't work for free?
Boneheads.

Sarford
07-26-2010, 09:35 AM
I don't see the reason for this complaining that a lot of people do, especialy on the Sculptris boards.

They got a beautifull sculpt program for free (if they want to), which they can use comercialy for as long as they like.
Dr. Petter got a load of money for his hard work (I presume) and a great job at Pixologic.
Everybody wins here.

Besides, in my eye, Pixologic is a great company. It doesn't have mandatory updates each year, nor a subscription model, its software is reasonably priced and they give away major updates for free.
Where does all this negativity come from??

mikala
07-26-2010, 09:37 AM
It comes from the people who think everything should be free.
Hippie mentality.

TeZzy
07-26-2010, 04:27 PM
or that any company that makes an acquisition is the dark side

or that people hear this and that and don't read/research further

that's why there is such negativity

Nangleator
07-26-2010, 07:13 PM
Free psychoanalysis! Get generalized for free! Just leave a small specimen of words and then learn all about yourself and everyone like you!

h2oStudios
07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
imho, it's more than just your run of the mill "Gimme, free, oh f**k, it's not free anymore" mentality... because it's still free. There was a vibe of "We've got something the big-guns don't" with Sculptris. And now the "big-guns" do. And that "big-gun" is pixoletharg... I mean pixologic, ;).

I've cheered and applauded Tomas Petterson's getting picked up to make some relish... But the fear, and a natural fear I might add, of not knowing what the outcome of a brilliant application, such as it is, is starting to kick in. Especially having it in the hands of a company that was without a doubt getting scared at how quickly users were comparing Sculptris to ZBrush in ways that made the latter seem like an esoteric fumble-fest.

I don't know, but I have a hope that development on Sculptris as a standalone application will not die. Though the reality of it all seems a bit less than promising.

Personally, I would have rather seen development go to another software company, but that's just my bias when it comes to this.

geothefaust
07-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Thats something NT should have done with 3DCoat a long time ago...

It's not like they haven't tried.

Which 3DCoat would not like either I'm sure.

And it wont happen. :)