PDA

View Full Version : ianimate.net - new online character animation school

Larry_g1s
07-25-2010, 03:57 PM
ianimate.net (http://www.ianimate.net) was just announced as officially taking registrations at yesterday's Jason Ryan Animation webinar event. It's got a great list of top professionals for their instructors & the price seems very competitive. I've really enjoyed learning from Jason these last couple of years through his webinars and this looks to really take it to another level.

He mentioned a live free webinar next month specifically discussing the school. Register link from his newsletter: https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/307176611
(https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/307176611)

From the FAQ's (that last sentence is for the LW community :thumbsup:):
What software do we need to participate in the school?
The software programs that we will be demonstrating will be Digicel's Flipbook (which you will receive free as a student) and Autodesk's Maya version 8.5 and above. But if you want to use your favorite program you are more than welcome.

I just thought I'd pass the info. along. :D

cresshead
07-25-2010, 05:14 PM
for those searching for 'the bottom line' ie cost>>

How do I register to become a student and how can we pay?
There is currently three ways to pay to become an i-student.

For the full 6 x 14 week semester curriculum it is $10,000 even. (Saves $2,000)
You can pay by individual 14 week semester at $2,000 each (saves $100)
You can pay by the month $525

Larry_g1s
08-14-2010, 01:10 AM
Hey guys, just a reminder...the free webinar's tomorrow. You'll need to register if interested. :D

Soth
08-15-2010, 01:46 AM
Have you seen webinar? This school looks very interesting. :)

Rayek
08-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I registered and got in! After some pondering, I decided to enter - for the last 20 years I have been wanting to get into character animation. Work got in the way, life got in the way... AnimationMentor proved to be just out of reach financially, and this is exactly right for me. It's now or never - I imagined myself on my deathbed, and I definitely do not want this added to my list of regrets.

Starting in two/three weeks - exciting!

Larry, thanks for the heads up.

Larry_g1s
08-16-2010, 11:23 PM
I registered and got in! After some pondering, I decided to enter - for the last 20 years I have been wanting to get into character animation. Work got in the way, life got in the way... AnimationMentor proved to be just out of reach financially, and this is exactly right for me. It's now or never - I imagined myself on my deathbed, and I definitely do not want this added to my list of regrets.

Starting in two/three weeks - exciting!

Larry, thanks for the heads up.Hey, awesome!!! I've been in a similar boat and knew this was a great opportunity. I'll see you there. :thumbsup:
P.s. what Semester will you be in? I'll be in Sem2. My brother will be in Sem3.

akademus
08-16-2010, 11:25 PM
Still out of reach... I'd keep an eye on it and probably enroll next semester...

Rayek
08-16-2010, 11:31 PM
P.s. what Semester will you be in? I'll be in Sem2. My brother will be in Sem3.

Semester 1 - though I know quite a bit about traditional animation, I haven't actually done a lot ;-)

Great to see that other people here are joining!

Larry_g1s
08-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Rayek, did you get my PM?

Daphne
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Would those of you attending ianimate mind sharing your thoughts on the program for those of us contemplating it? And yes, I realize you just started classes so you may not have formed an opinion yet.

I went through an animation crash course quite a few years ago. I didn't have any input from others on that so I am looking for feedback this time.

Thanks.

Larry_g1s
09-28-2010, 11:52 AM
Well I obviously can only speak for myself and yes we are only just starting week 3, but for character animation studies it is truly amazing! We're not only getting reviews from animators in one of the top animation studios in the world, but they are all live. This plays a huge part in excelling in ones skills because you get that instant feedback & can ask questions. One of the things that cracks me up is their insight they share to improve ones shot. Things that one can often miss just not being experienced. We have mid week live Q&A with our instructors as well as weekly, again live, lecture/demos from Jason Ryan where questions are answered & such. The community is very talented & as a result extremely inspiring.
I now I probably sound like a sales pitch, lol, but like Rayek (though not 20yrs in) I'm finally getting to study what I truly got in to 3D/CG in the first place & feel like I'll get there in a very reasonable time. :thumbsup:

Rayek
09-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Second that: it's been an awesome experience so far. The live reviews are extremely helpful, and I definitely got more out of this last two weeks than I ever could have expected! It would have been very difficult and much more time consuming to go down the auto-didactic path, as I usually do. To arrive at current production levels of animation work, one really needs a mentor who is working at that same level right now.

In the past a junior animator could be trained/mentored on the job, but I think (as well as Jason Ryan) that we are now way past that stage, unfortunately. Which is the reason why online schools like AnimationMentor and iAnimate are appearing, in my opinion.

I work as a graphics/web design/development/video/mograph instructor myself at several colleges here in Vancouver, and I've been keeping an eye on the animation work delivered by the students here and there (out of curiosity): it is certainly lacking that level that we are now being taught to work on at iAnimate. And no wonder: the students at that one college are trained as 3D generalists, which is a completely wrong approach, as many will agree. Most of these students will not stand a change in hell to get a job in the industry. Or perhaps at a small studio. Although I hate to say this, their modeling is okay, their animation skills bad, texturing skills okay, and rigging basic. Nothing seems to stand out (save for the odd naturally talented guy/girl). And the worst part is that those poor students have to pay SO MUCH money - I would urge some of them to switch to either AnimationMentor of iAnimate, but, of course, I cannot, since I work at the same school(s) (though not at the 3d department). This is the one part of my job that depresses and pains me at times. The best I can do is to try and make the curriculum head honchos to start paying attention to what is starting to happen now: online training for 3d character animation is generally a better option at the moment than going to most 'traditional' design colleges (not only from a value of money point of view).

AnimationMentor and iAnimate focus on only ONE thing: churning out the best animators they can, studio ready. And it works (at least in my case, I trust it will work - though I don't really intend to work for any studio myself; I just LOVE doing this, and hope to get into indy game animation freelance jobs).

Oops, I've been ranting and raving a bit here - still valid points, though.

Short answer: iAnimate's instructional approach rocks so far. The feedback is excellent, live (and recorded), touching the sweet spot both technically and artistically. It feels a bit like a studio. I prefer this over the 'traditional' classroom (where I teach three days a week!) - and the community is great. There were a couple of technical hiccups at the beginning, but these were all solved pretty quickly. Students and instructors had to get used to the new live review approach - but it works wonderfully well now. Marvelous value for your money, I have to add. (Again sounds a bit like an advertisement - however I'm a professional instructor myself, and our kind tends to be difficult to keep happy) 'nuff said.

Daphne
09-29-2010, 08:01 AM
Hey thanks so much Larry and Rayek! It sounds wonderful!

I thought I saw this somewhere but I can't find it. Do they record the crits so you can go back and watch them again to make sure you fixed everything or watch what is covered in other student's reviews so you don't make the same mistakes?

Are the students in the first class complete newbies? I am not clear on where you need to be starting the first class. I took an animation crash course about 12 years ago and it wasn't everything I'd hoped for so I consider myself completely green and clueless. I can model but that has nothing to do with what they are teaching and I haven't touched Maya or worked with animation since that class.

Thanks again!

Larry_g1s
09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I thought I saw this somewhere but I can't find it. Do they record the crits so you can go back and watch them again to make sure you fixed everything or watch what is covered in other student's reviews so you don't make the same mistakes?Yes, all reviews are live and recorded. This allows one to re-watch yours or any other classmates regardless of what semester you're in.

Are the students in the first class complete newbies? I am not clear on where you need to be starting the first class. I took an animation crash course about 12 years ago and it wasn't everything I'd hoped for so I consider myself completely green and clueless. Semester 1 is for complete newbies or those just getting started. But one of the unique things about iAnimate is that one could jump in a particular semester should they qualify. Jason reviews ones demo to see where you'd be placed. But again, if you're green or just a little experience, semester 1 would probably fit you best as it really lays the foundation for the rest of the courses and animation in general.

I can model but that has nothing to do with what they are teaching and I haven't touched Maya or worked with animation since that class.

Thanks again!There are some quick (free) video training on how to get up to speed on Maya, and student discounts, but as I originally posted it's software independent. There are even some students who can get a free academic (13 month) version of Maya but are using Blender. It just depends what you're comfortable with.

Daphne
09-29-2010, 09:13 AM
Sweet! Thanks!

I would definitely come under the green category.

I have had Lightwave forever but would probably get Maya just to make it easier to follow along.

I've considered buying several of Jason's webinars to get up to speed but seems like I saw somewhere that you have free access to them after you start ianimate and I've already purchased flipbook Pro (didn't know flipbook came with enrollment for free ugggg) so I kind of hate to keep purchasing stuff more than once.

By the way Larry, I just checked out your reel. Your architectural pieces look amazing. Wow!

Larry_g1s
09-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I've considered buying several of Jason's webinars to get up to speed but seems like I saw somewhere that you have free access to them after you start ianimate and I've already purchased flipbook Pro (didn't know flipbook came with enrollment for free ugggg) so I kind of hate to keep purchasing stuff more than once.You get all of his webinars and tutorials! As far as FlipBook, a bit of a bummer you've already purchased pro. because as a student you do get a free copy. But you're not to bad off as iAnimate students, we get special copies released before public & it's for the version you have (i.e. pro).

By the way Larry, I just checked out your reel. Your architectural pieces look amazing. Wow!Hey, thank you!

Portnoy
01-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm really glad I found this post, albeit albeit late but the information was helpful. I've been considering taking an online animation class. Like said earlier, AM is a great choice but just a bit too out of reach financially. I'm leaning really heavily on iAnimate.

I would really love to get more feedback from others as well about any experience they've had with iAnimate or AM for that matter. Thanks.

Don

Larry_g1s
01-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Hey Don,
Here is what one of my fellow iAnimate classmates posted a bit back on his Blog: HERE (http://rastkos.blogspot.com/2010/12/ianimate-and-animationmentor-comparison.html)
It's a comparison of iAnimate & Animation Mentor from his point having been both an AM student and still iAnimate.net. It's nicely done.
Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll see if I can polish up my stuff soon from my last Workshop (Workshop 2 - Adv. Body Mechanics) and post here.

Titus
01-10-2011, 04:00 PM
Hey Don,
Here is what one of my fellow iAnimate classmates posted a bit back on his Blog: HERE (http://rastkos.blogspot.com/2010/12/ianimate-and-animationmentor-comparison.html)

Interesting review. I've just finished AM and it was an amazing trip.

Larry_g1s
01-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Awesome Titus. Congratulations. :)

Portnoy
01-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Quote from Larry_g1s:
Hey Don,
Here is what one of my fellow iAnimate classmates posted a bit back on his Blog: HERE
It's a comparison of iAnimate & Animation Mentor from his point having been both an AM student and still iAnimate.net. It's nicely done.
Let me know if you have any more questions. I'll see if I can polish up my stuff soon from my last Workshop (Workshop 2 - Adv. Body Mechanics) and post here.

Hey Larry, thanks for the article it was really helpful and clear. I think I may have a better idea of which way I want to go. I will definitely be asking you more questions. Thanks again!

Don

Titus
01-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Awesome Titus. Congratulations. :)

Hey, thanks!

My last mentor actually works for both schools. I'm not sure how many others do the same.

It's funny (or tragic) that I discovered ianimate my last week at AM.

Larry_g1s
01-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Hey, thanks!

My last mentor actually works for both schools. I'm not sure how many others do the same.Who's your instructor?

It's funny (or tragic) that I discovered ianimate my last week at AM.One of the nice things about iAnimate is that you can always take a Workshop to hone some of the areas you feel like you still want to polish and not have to start from the beginning. You have to submit a reel to show that you can jump in that level, but we actually have quite few former AM students and graduates who are in iAnimate doing just that.

Titus
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Who's your instructor?

I can't find that mentor in their list, but Mike Walling was my mentor for class 1 or 2, good teacher.

One of the nice things about iAnimate is that you can always take a Workshop to hone some of the areas you feel like you still want to polish and not have to start from the beginning. You have to submit a reel to show that you can jump in that level, but we actually have quite few former AM students and graduates who are in iAnimate doing just that.

It sounds interesting.

Right now I'm trying to teach some artists on my studio the basics of the trade. Many of them had some studies in animation but with poor quality.

Larry_g1s
01-10-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't find that mentor in their list, but Mike Walling was my mentor for class 1 or 2, good teacher.Ha! That's why I asked. I figured it might be him. Mike Walling was my instructor for the last Block and my Workshop 2 instructor. Yeah, he was there for 5 years, and just finished there when iAnimate started back in Sept of last year. He's great! Great guy and animator.

It sounds interesting.

Right now I'm trying to teach some artists on my studio the basics of the trade. Many of them had some studies in animation but with poor quality.Gotcha. :thumbsup:

Dexter2999
01-10-2011, 07:18 PM
I'd love to see more CA in LW from people who have been through this kind of advanced training.

I know we hear over and over how bad LW is at CA. I know it isn't perfect but I'd love to see people showing off that it is capable of basic CA and that training is a big help in overcoming the shortcomings of the software. (Yes I know better software makes it easier. But it isn't like it is impossible in LW)

Portnoy
01-11-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote from Dexter2999:
I'd love to see more CA in LW from people who have been through this kind of advanced training.

I know we hear over and over how bad LW is at CA. I know it isn't perfect but I'd love to see people showing off that it is capable of basic CA and that training is a big help in overcoming the shortcomings of the software. (Yes I know better software makes it easier. But it isn't like it is impossible in LW)

It's funny, I always thought that LW was supposed to be pretty decent in CA. Of, course not Maya but a capable CA software. I'm kinda like you, I know that there is some awesome CA work out there done in LW. I'd be curious to know what peoples' lists are in order on what software they think is good at CA.

Don

Larry_g1s
01-11-2011, 09:51 AM

I know we hear over and over how bad LW is at CA. I know it isn't perfect but I'd love to see people showing off that it is capable of basic CA and that training is a big help in overcoming the shortcomings of the software. (Yes I know better software makes it easier. But it isn't like it is impossible in LW)This is it. It really boils down to proper training. This goes with any field or aspect of CG. Don't get me wrong, the software helps (** see side note below), but it's just that..it "helps". It doesn't do it for you. You still have to know the principals of character animation. And programs like iAnimate & AM are aimed at just that. Heck, there is a guy in iAnimate that has taken some of the high end Maya rigs we have and rigging them in Blender because that's what he's comfortable with and doing very well in the program.

So I too am looking forward to seeing & hopefully showing some very high quality character animation with LW. It may not be the easiest for it, but it sure isn't the worse, nor incapable. :thumbsup:

** In the last 3.5 months of that last Workshop, I really really enjoyed using Maya for character animation, and want to do some small workflow/feature request videos for Core in this area.

bugzilla
01-11-2011, 10:35 AM
It's funny, I always thought that LW was supposed to be pretty decent in CA. Of, course not Maya but a capable CA software. I'm kinda like you, I know that there is some awesome CA work out there done in LW. I'd be curious to know what peoples' lists are in order on what software they think is good at CA.

Don

OK. I'm opening a can of worms here, but this is one topic concerning LW that really ticks me off. Let me start off by stating that yes, good character animation comes from the animator's skill first and yes, good CA can and has been done in LW.

That being said, the CA tools in LW are not up to the level of Blender or Maya or most other software. In fact, I don't think Newtek really cares or gets CA. They realize LW is for modeling and rendering and effects. The CA tools are just tacked on to say they have them.

It's not that the tools don't exist in LW, it's how they are implemented. Recording Pivot Rotations, no native support for Quaternions, the fact that using one plugin disables the use of another(ex:Quaternion Booster does not work with Motion Mixer), the default IK does this weird "shimmying" effect sometimes. Especially the fact that you cannot dynamically paint weights in Layout like every other software can. The list goes on and on.

I did a video about this you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmEe72sgtqc

Again, you CAN get good results in LW. The problem is how you get from point A to point B.

Larry_g1s
01-11-2011, 10:45 AM
Again, you CAN get good results in LW. The problem is how you get from point A to point B.It's why I said, It may not be the easiest for it, but it sure isn't the worse, nor incapable.

But let's keep it on topic please. :D

Nicolas Jordan
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
I expect all you guys who took that animation course to be expert animators now. ;)

CG Addict
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for posting that link Larry, it's a very good read. I would love if Ryan could do a webinar on how things are going so far as well as give us on the outside a peak into what iAnimate is all about at this stage.

Fingers crossed.

Daphne
01-11-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the updates and info, I really appreciate it.

Any idea when the student work will be publicly shown?

Rayek
01-11-2011, 01:04 PM
I loved the three first months at iAnimate. Mind, I was one of only two people who used Blender for the full run, and was only able to do so because of Wayne Dixon's awesome work of re-rigging the characters for term 1. You can have a look at some of his free rigs at http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=187051

Anyway, I learned an incredible number of things about animation in this short time - I never animated a 3d character before this course! And the information about life as an animator at Dreamworks were very informative as well (Jacob Gardner was my instructor - great instructor and guy).

I still need to refine my animation over the coming three months to be able to enter the second term, which is another thing I like about iAnimate: you can take a break and work on improving your skills before moving on to the next level.

Titus
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
I personally don't enjoy animating in LW anymore. But I think Lino Grandi is a good candidate to look for CA.

Something I don't want to see in LW is more robots :D.

Titus
01-11-2011, 02:10 PM
There's an AM webcast at this moment, they are announcing a creature and animals masterclass.

bugzilla
01-11-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm currently watching the new webinar from Animation Mentor, a series of classes specifically geared towards animating creatures. Looks really sweet. I've been waiting for targeted animation training like this for some time now.

Dexter2999
01-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Yeah. I just watched it as well. "Realistic" animation, plate matching, match moves, quadrupeds. Sounds like a great class.

And it looks like it is open to grads of the ianimate course contingent upon evaluation of your demo reel. (Although they did say that AM grads are automatically eligible and get a 30% discount)

Larry_g1s
01-11-2011, 04:26 PM
I would love if Ryan could do a webinar on how things are going so far as well as give us on the outside a peak into what iAnimate is all about at this stage.

Fingers crossed.

Any idea when the student work will be publicly shown?I'd image before the end of this Block (14 weeks), but I don't know for sure.

And it looks like it is open to grads of the ianimate course contingent upon evaluation of your demo reel. (Although they did say that AM grads are automatically eligible and get a 30% discount)Yep, but it looks like by the requirements anyone who's done well & passed WS2 at iAnimate (Adv. Body Mechanics) should qualify. I think it's great they're opening it up though. But $3300 for one of those classes still seem a bit steep to me.

Larry_g1s
04-04-2011, 02:23 PM
I would love if Ryan could do a webinar on how things are going so far as well as give us on the outside a peak into what iAnimate is all about at this stage.

Fingers crossed.Check it out the frontpage of the site (http://www.ianimate.net) for the new promo video. :)