PDA

View Full Version : Inserting a Clip in the Middle of a Timeline Blues

bradl
09-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Something I deal with a lot when editing is dropping in a clip between existing clips easily. I other words I want to insert a clip, having everything past this clip move down exactly the length of the new clip.

I have several methods of dealing with it but none are easy. I end up dragging stuff around or having to select large quantites of clips or fiddle with ripple. Storyboard does work on simple timelines but on complex timelines with a dozen layers, Storyboard is not an option as things tend to get scrambled and you cannot see exactly what is happening.

Does anyone have a quick and easy solution or have I overlooked some feature to provide for this? Maybe a script or toolshed item could be developed?

Thanks,

Paul Lara
09-17-2003, 08:02 AM
- Set your edit line where you want to insert
- right click, and select Timeline Selection, After edit line
-drag those clips to the right, and insert your clip.

I know it's not the automated functionality you're hoping for, but it's still pretty fast.

eon5
09-17-2003, 08:43 AM
we cant edit like living in caves!

please, add this features in futures TeD versions:

Customizable keyboard shortcuts
Customize keyboard shortcuts to fit your editing style. Use default presets, leverage industry-standard shortcuts, or create your own. Export custom sets to share with colleagues.

Intuitive timeline editing functionality
Lift, extract, insert, and overlay with simple keystroke modifiers.

Tkx

Rich Deustachio
09-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Shouldn't ripple move everything down on all layers the length of the inserted clip? I know on complicated timelines is doesn't seem to work, but shouldn't it? This is a much used, every day feature found in all NLEs and we need ripple to work the way it is expected to work. Maybe Andrew can look into this for the next patch.