PDA

View Full Version : LightWave July 2010 Discussion thread

DColboch
07-23-2010, 04:53 PM
Announcement posted here (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110820)

ikeahloe
07-24-2010, 12:51 AM
cool. i like the siggraph info. really wanting some more stuff on core development though. i'm sure it's the starting to sound old, but i think by this time more info/visuals should be available. i'm personally interested in seeing a screenshot of the linux port, but i'm not expecting that.

speismonqui
07-24-2010, 12:53 PM
no news on Core.
SAD SAD SAD

JeffrySG
07-24-2010, 01:08 PM
The NickDigital reel is wonderful... I'll enjoying watching ni hao kai lan with my daughter much more now! I'd love to see some wireframes and raw lw renders of some of their stuff.

cagey5
07-24-2010, 01:12 PM
cool. i like the siggraph info. really wanting some more stuff on core development though. i'm sure it's the starting to sound old, but i think by this time more info/visuals should be available. i'm personally interested in seeing a screenshot of the linux port, but i'm not expecting that.

Not sure if you're aware of this thread ...

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107450

which showed screen shots of Core both windows and Linux. They both handle pretty much the same I think. Personally I only really run Core under Ubuntu , it's a pity LW doesn't run under it too as I much prefer it these days.

As regards info outside of the beta group, I'm sure that with Siggraph fast approaching there will be lots of interesting information coming along.

nickdigital
07-24-2010, 01:58 PM
The NickDigital reel is wonderful... I'll enjoying watching ni hao kai lan with my daughter much more now! I'd love to see some wireframes and raw lw renders of some of their stuff.

Thanks! I'll see if we can highlight more of the work we've done with LW and NHK.

If you're going to be at Siggraph come and say hi.

codyburke610
07-24-2010, 06:01 PM
Wow Ernest! Seeing that Nick Digital reel just blew my mind, that was truly amazing. I honestly had a smile on my face from start to finish. Very inspiring, as well.

-Cody-

Philbert
07-24-2010, 06:15 PM
Always glad to see these posts since the newsletter doesn't come to my email.

I'm very sad that I won't be able to go to Siggraph, I even got a loan from a Twitter friend today but it's just too expensive so I gave him his money back. Maybe I can finally put the money towards CORE and see it for myself that way.

nickdigital
07-24-2010, 09:15 PM
Wow Ernest! Seeing that Nick Digital reel just blew my mind, that was truly amazing. I honestly had a smile on my face from start to finish. Very inspiring, as well.

-Cody-

:D

Congrats on your portion of the newsletter. :thumbsup:

stevenpalomino
07-24-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm really impressed that Newtek releases a newsletter every month.. that's something I like about the company.. it also boosts morale ;) Congrats to everyone who made it on there! Great work! Keep it up! Next up: world-wide lightwave domination! :P

geo_n
07-25-2010, 03:57 AM
Excellent newsletter.
nickdigital - are those cel shaded line art done in lightwave with no plugins? I always liked cel shaded art like Jet set radio
http://vimeo.com/1410093
Suprised to know dosch designs is using lightwave.

nickdigital
07-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Excellent newsletter.
nickdigital - are those cel shaded line art done in lightwave with no plugins? I always liked cel shaded art like Jet set radio
http://vimeo.com/1410093
Suprised to know dosch designs is using lightwave.

Some stuff is done with LW's native edge lines that you can find under the Object Properties.

The majority of the lines are now done with Unreal Extreme. Unreal is more predictable in both how lines are drawn and their quality IMHO.

Philbert
07-25-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm actually just now finishing up a project that uses the default LW edge rendering. though for cel shaded stuff I would definitely prefer Unreal Extreme.

hrgiger
07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
I think there will be more public info on CORE during and after Siggraph this week.

Philbert
07-25-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm getting paid and planning to buy in on friday so they better not jump the price up at Siggraph, I'd be really mad.

geo_n
07-25-2010, 11:54 PM
Some stuff is done with LW's native edge lines that you can find under the Object Properties.

The majority of the lines are now done with Unreal Extreme. Unreal is more predictable in both how lines are drawn and their quality IMHO.

Ah thanks. Will check unreal extreme. The native edge lines in lw sometimes get thin or think depending on angle so I don't use it.

lino.grandi
07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Ah thanks. Will check unreal extreme. The native edge lines in lw sometimes get thin or think depending on angle so I don't use it.

Are you using the perspective camera? If so,try the classic one.

TheDeacon
07-28-2010, 10:58 AM
SIGGRAPH rocks. Come on by and say "hey" if you're in the neighborhood. Check out NT's ads with the Creature Kit downloads - cool stuff: http://www.newtek.com/lw/creature/ Check FaceBook and Twitter for updates. Super-secret guests will be here today around 1pm.

stevenpalomino
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I guess they're behind for the august newsletter!

TheDeacon
09-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Hang tight, folks. There's been a lot of activity post-SIGGRAPH, and all of it will be reflected in this month's newsletter, set to release this week. Stay tuned!