PDA

View Full Version : 20 years of Lightwave!

Philbert
07-23-2010, 02:08 PM
I see Lots of news about 3DS max celebrating it's 20th anniversary (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/bwges-2010-siggraph/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100722006817&newsLang=en). LightWave is also 20 years old, older if you count Videoscape and Aegis Modeler.

I'd love to see news sites like Business Wire reporting "LightWave 3D celebrates over 20 years of CG excellence!" or something like that.

cresshead
07-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I see Lots of news about 3DS max celebrating it's 20th anniversary (http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/bwges-2010-siggraph/permalink/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20100722006817&newsLang=en). LightWave is also 20 years old, older if you count Videoscape and Aegis Modeler.

I'd love to see news sites like Business Wire reporting "LightWave 3D celebrates over 20 years of CG excellence!" or something like that.

3dstudio maybe 20 years old but 3dsmax came out in 1996/97

Philbert
07-23-2010, 03:20 PM
That's true, but don't try telling that to max users.

cresshead
07-23-2010, 04:48 PM
That's true, but don't try telling that to max users.
i better stay well away from my bathroom mirror then!:D

OlaHaldor
07-23-2010, 05:46 PM
I remember first time I saw 3D animation in a working environment. Well, with an OpenGL representation and a GUI to do the work. Back then it was called Kinetix 3D Max R2 or something like that. But then I fell in love with LightWave.. Simply put, they had a more sexy logo and a clean, nice, informative brochure. ;)

Philbert
07-23-2010, 05:48 PM
The Kinetix version of 3DS was, I think, the first 3D app I used aside from Poser and Bryce, but shortly after I started DAVE School and was taught LightWave. Which is, of course, what I now prefer.

stone
07-24-2010, 02:54 AM
3d history timeline (https://sites.google.com/site/3dtimeline/) i did a while back

/stone

akademus
07-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I jumped the LW wagon in 1997. Sheesh, 13 years ago...

radams
07-24-2010, 12:40 PM
I've been using LW since ".9" that came with the Amiga Toaster...and videoscape, imagine, silver, sculpt 3D before that. So from 1989 or 1990 till today :) 20+ years ;)

I remember using a Sony 1" tape to layoff single frames from the Toaster/LW to create our 3D and motion graphic elements.

Several of my friends and I were some of the first to use LW for Broadcast TV way back when...

Wow now I'm feeling old :(

Cheers,

shrox
07-24-2010, 01:07 PM
1995 for me, after 3D Studio became 3DMax.

20th WEDDING ANNIVERSARY
Traditional Anniversary Gift: China
Modern Anniversary Gift: Platinum

Maybe we can scrape together a fund for something nice...

djlithium
07-24-2010, 01:15 PM
actually tried Max 1.0 right when it came out through a 30 day dealer arrangement while I was working in Whitehorse on some multimedia contract stuff in 1994/95 (must have been 1995) and I immediately returned it when I saw what they did to the interface from 3DS 4.0 and discovered that all the plug-ins I was looking to purchase were toast and could never be used with it from 4.0 to max. I tried it again at around v5 or 8 and I still thought it was a mess interface wise. Icons drive me nutz. All during this time though I was running Lightwave (since it came out on pc at 4.0 I have had my own copy but before that where ever and when ever I could get my hands on a toaster). People kept telling me - you have to switch to maya or max or xsi. And I keep telling them (even to this day) - Icons drive me nutz. So what does core do? introduce F-ing icons.

history matters.
context matters :)

Hello America (NewTek)!
=^..^=
Ok, thats my glenn beck moment for the day.

I love LIGHTWAVE 3D :):cat:

radams
07-24-2010, 01:17 PM
actually tried Max 1.0 right when it came out through a 30 day dealer arrangement while I was working in Whitehorse on some multimedia contract stuff in 1994/95 (must have been 1995) and I immediately returned it when I saw what they did to the interface from 3DS 4.0 and discovered that all the plug-ins I was looking to purchase were toast and could never be used with it from 4.0 to max. I tried it again at around v5 or 8 and I still thought it was a mess interface wise. Icons drive me nutz. All during this time though I was running Lightwave (since it came out on pc at 4.0 I have had my own copy but before that where ever and when ever I could get my hands on a toaster). People kept telling me - you have to switch to maya or max or xsi. And I keep telling them (even to this day) - Icons drive me nutz. So what does core do? introduce F-ing icons.

history matters.

Hello America (NewTek)!
=^..^=

:agree::beerchug:

shrox
07-24-2010, 01:28 PM

history matters.

Hello America (NewTek)!
=^..^=

Yep, an icon of squiggles over a cube, and a five second delay as one waits for the info box that explains the icon to show up...wonderful.

=^_ _^= (sleepy cat) =^__^= (Cylon cat)

Shawn Farrell
07-24-2010, 01:34 PM
I started with The Video Toaster bundled lightwave in 1996, so far it's been 3D logo's and experimental trippy videos but I am about to do my first character animation modeling a cartoon cow for a milk company, YES!:D:vticon::lwicon::thumbsup:

glebe digital
07-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I remember how it felt moving to LWv5.0 after being an InfiniD & StrataVision user.....ray of light in a dark cave!
Long live LW.

cresshead
07-24-2010, 01:59 PM
my first paid for 3d app was bryce 3d..i'll not include dream3d which came with corel draw as it was horrible!!!!

i bought inspire 3d back in 1997/98...
then bought 3dsmax 2.5 plus character studio 2 in 1999

later bought lightwave 7.0
then other seat of lightwave...!!!
both seats are at 9.6 but one is also CORE.

oliversimonnet
07-24-2010, 02:04 PM
well iv only been using LW since early 2008 hahaha, i feel really small hahaha

JBT27
07-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Stratavision on the Mac for me starting early in 1993, then added formZ in 1994, only to discover LW shortly after.

I quickly stopped using the other two, and aside from switching to Windows in 1999 and a brief foray into Maya, which was a bit of a non-starter considering what I could get out of the box with LW, in both usability and performance, it's been LW all the way, and will continue to be so as far as I see it.

Julian.

COBRASoft
07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
I started using LW in 1992 on my Amiga 1200. I remember loving Imagine and Cinema 4D in the early years because they were simplier to do things or render some stuff. LightWave rendered slower, but better quality :D.

djlithium
07-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Yes, but AFAIK, CORE allows you to choose which you want - icons or text. So it gives you the best of both worlds for user who like one OR the other. :thumbsup:

I just don't see the purpose or point of wasting development time and money on "icons" when those can be thought out more later once the actual app has buttons with text on them that do stuff that is useful. That has changed a bit though. But Icons blow as well because they suck up useful "see what I am working on" space.

djlithium
07-24-2010, 06:26 PM
oh yeah - the real reason I was in here to post was I was remembering how much LW 4.0 WinNT cost back then - $799.00USD Of course the Canadian dollar to the US dollar back then made it well over 1150.00CND plus shipping plus duties! Ouch! Thanks uncle bob for helping out on that one :)

Shawn Farrell
07-24-2010, 06:46 PM
ICONS are for the BLIND!:devil::newtek::tcicon::lwicon::beerchug::ja m:

cresshead
07-24-2010, 07:14 PM
if you didn't have icons then lightwave 9,8,7 etc would be pretty hard to use...
think about it!...lightwave has had icons for YEARS...you just don't remember that very well when your not using it!....open up modeler..change a few tools..and SEE those icons...

now don;t you feel silly saying icons are bad/waste of time

Philbert
07-24-2010, 07:20 PM
very, very, few icons and they're mostly extremely obvious what they do at first glance.

djlithium
07-24-2010, 07:33 PM
maybe I am just iconostic or something... I will not bow to these iconian measures! :)

Just being silly here - no stress...

Hopper
07-24-2010, 07:57 PM
..why waste the space on an icon when text tells us EXACTLY what it does?
To use less screen real estate if the user prefers. You can use one or the other or both with CORE (which is no secret at this point) so the discussion of icons vs. no icons is pretty moot.

My first graphics "program" was Logo and Turtle on an Apple IIe (or Lisa - I can't remember). It was only 3D if you MADE it 3D. I'm pretty sure there weren't any blockbuster movies made with it though.

It was also the last time I touched an Apple computer until about a year or so ago.

Hopper
07-24-2010, 08:23 PM
Which is what I said in post #19 above. CORE can do both. :D
Sorry .. I only read previous posts during the weekdays... It's Saturday so I'm being lazy :) I have to save as much time for some epic BF2/Bad Company battles as possible! Gotta go .. my tank is getting cold.

Danner
07-25-2010, 08:08 AM
I rember those days of leaving the machine rendering overnight using a frame recorder to capture each frame to tape. that was a lot of wear and tear on some very expensive machines.

On the Amiga I used turbo silver then Imagine then Lightwave, then a DOS version of Imagine came out.. I was so impressed with the rendering speed of 486dx2 computers!

Once Lightwave came out for PC I have stayed with it. Learning other 3d apps has been for the most part a waste of time. The worst was Real3D, fun to learn, but pretty useless really. Somehow I feel at home in LW, I did use Messiah for a character animation heavy project many years back, but I mostly do archviz / flying logos now a days.