PDA

View Full Version : Alien Swarm - Free Steam Game = Awesome!

Matt
07-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Just downloaded this freebie from Steam, awesome little game, if quite difficult!

Reminds me very much of Alien Breed on the Amiga, but the graphics are lovely and the gameplay quite well done.

Apparently it was a community effort.

Worth checking out if you have a Steam Account.

Twisted_Pixel
07-22-2010, 08:03 PM
A lot of friends been talking about it recently, not looked at it myself yet though.

inquisitive
07-22-2010, 10:23 PM
hmm i didn't know it was free.. I guess that goes to show how little I pay attention to adverts while I am in route to play tf2 ;)

archijam
07-23-2010, 06:43 AM
Just playing through bioshock 1 + 2 back to back .. good times :)

Nangleator
07-23-2010, 01:58 PM
I've been on Steam for a while, and just discovered how deep IL2 is. Awesome bargain for $10. Luv me some freebies, though.

Also, Plants vs. Zombies is silly great fun!

Philbert
07-23-2010, 02:54 PM
I downloaded it because BeeVee reminded me that it was available. Haven't opened it yet, still getting into Borderlands on OnLive.

*Pete*
07-23-2010, 03:04 PM
Alien Breed on the Amiga.

i loved that game!! :D

warrenwc
07-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Remember to weld doors shut behind you!
Them little buggers is Sneaky.

Twisted_Pixel
07-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Downloaded and gave it a quick blast earlier. Much fun indeed.

KennethPedersen
07-26-2010, 02:51 PM
got it last weekend, great game. it does remind you of Alien Breed a bit...

Philbert
07-26-2010, 02:55 PM
I still keep forgetting to try it.

Nangleator
07-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Didn't work on my ancient home computer. It's got an FX5600 or so.

-EsHrA-
07-27-2010, 04:59 AM
im there, its pretty luvely.

safetyman
07-27-2010, 07:32 AM
Played this the other day -- great game (and FREE!) but there's some getting used to, for me, on the controls. I kinda wish it was more of an isometric view that could spin around a bit.

Matt
07-27-2010, 12:03 PM
Played this the other day -- great game (and FREE!) but there's some getting used to, for me, on the controls. I kinda wish it was more of an isometric view that could spin around a bit.

I know what you mean, when it gets messy I lose my cursor in the action and end up shooting walls!

Nangleator
07-27-2010, 12:09 PM
How good is the solo mode? 99% of the value in online play? Or is it fun to fiddle with it alone?

Rayek
07-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I kinda wish it was more of an isometric view that could spin around a bit.

You should try Shadowgrounds / Shadowgrounds Survivor - in my opinion much better than Swarm. I downloaded Swarm, and it's okayish. Shadowgrounds allows you to fix the rotation of the view to the rotation of the character.

I finished both playing in hard mode - using only the handgun :P

Matt
07-27-2010, 05:40 PM
How good is the solo mode? 99% of the value in online play? Or is it fun to fiddle with it alone?

Solo mode is basically for practising, which is worth doing!

WillBellJr
07-29-2010, 08:30 AM
What do you need to get setup for playing Steam games coming in cold??

I'd like to try out Alien Breed, seems pretty cool...

-Will

Nangleator
07-29-2010, 08:34 AM
I think just visit the site and download the free Steam software. Pretty neat stuff, actually. Being able to load it onto a new computer, say a work one, logon with your identity, and download any games you own.

I assume, although I don't know, that you can only have a game installed on one machine at a time. I've got about 25 games, and only a couple installed at a time, on two different machines.

Philbert
07-29-2010, 08:37 AM

I never really used Steam until they offered portal for free, so I'm still a little new at it. I still find it a little confusing. When you first load the Steam client you're in the store so you can search for and download the game. Then to see and play games you've downloaded go to View > Games List. Though installing the game should give you a start menu icon too.

That's one thing about OnLive, it's UI is a lot less confusing.

Matt
07-29-2010, 08:38 AM

-Will

PC (or Mac) and register an account.

WillBellJr
07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
Thanks guys, I'll take a gander tonite - I'm tired of Gears of War 2 and Warfare 2...

My true gaming love was the Wing Commander series - (space sims are my thang) everything else is just make up for lack of that (unfortunately)...

-Will

Nangleator
07-29-2010, 04:01 PM
There's a good Babylon 5 sim out there, open source. Very good bones, but I don't remember the missions and career being well balanced or well constructed.

Danner
07-29-2010, 04:28 PM
I think just visit the site and download the free Steam software. Pretty neat stuff, actually. Being able to load it onto a new computer, say a work one, logon with your identity, and download any games you own.

I assume, although I don't know, that you can only have a game installed on one machine at a time. I've got about 25 games, and only a couple installed at a time, on two different machines.

I have installed the same games on several machines, but you can only log in to your account on one machine at a time. Kinda sucks you can't have your own LAN party, but I moved to europe and downloaded and installed all the games I had bought on the machine I have over here. Pretty cool.

Etch
08-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Glad to see other people on these forums playing ASW :)

Has anyone here worked on any modding or custom models? I just recently got a giant Lightwave Teddy Bear in game.