PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #91 - Fantasy Wheelchairs

IgnusFast
07-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #91 - Fantasy Wheelchairs
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: Fantasy Wheelchairs

I know, this is an odd one. But please bear with me. This could be something as mundane as a standard, unpowered wheelchair, a Hoveround, or something as crazy as Yoda's floating recliner. It could even be a tank or a toilet on wheels. Just something a disabled individual would use to get around.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 28 July 2010, 2200 GMT

Kuzey
07-23-2010, 05:22 AM
I had to google to find what out a Hoveround is...I thought it was a cross between a hovercraft and a wheelchair :hey:

I like the look of this one:

http://www.marketingamedicalpractice.com/disabled_seat_on_tracks.jpg

Kuzey

Shnoze Shmon
07-23-2010, 07:45 AM

I see I'm not the only one who thought the hoveround should have tank tracks. Now if it has a third gear that can take it up to 20mph I'll feel better about my future golden years. :thumbsup: ...that and a gunrack on the back...

aurora
07-23-2010, 08:10 AM
Actually cool idea and I just happen to have a cool idea for this one! Can't promise time for anything past modeling but 1 hour of modeling, I can surely do that.

Iain
07-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hmmm tricky. Don't know if I could model a wheelchair in one hour.
I'll give it a whirl though.

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
Iain, you could do a futuristic one :hey:

I think it would be a good idea to extend this until next week...if no one minds :D

Kuzey

Iain
07-27-2010, 03:15 PM
I think it would be a good idea to extend this until next week...if no one minds :D

Kuzey

Good idea!

Kuzey
07-27-2010, 03:29 PM
Cool :thumbsup:

Hopefully, I'll get something done on the weekend.

Kuzey

aurora
07-27-2010, 04:48 PM

YES PLEASE!!!
I have sketched out what I want to model but have not had a spare hour to work on it. To much school work (its amazing the bigger the super computer the more work to work on it, I thought they were suppose to save me time!) and work on the new SpinQuad.

Kuzey
07-28-2010, 06:05 AM
YES PLEASE!!!
I have sketched out what I want to model but have not had a spare hour to work on it. To much school work (its amazing the bigger the super computer the more work to work on it, I thought they were suppose to save me time!) and work on the new SpinQuad.

Haha...hopefully you'll find the time soon :thumbsup:

I'm interested in this sketch of yours...care to post it :D

Kuzey

TripD
07-28-2010, 08:02 PM
weeee....... had to try it anyway. Got this far in 43 mins. Got distracted so didn't get to the controls on the arm rests.

jameswillmott
07-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I had to google to find what out a Hoveround is...I thought it was a cross between a hovercraft and a wheelchair :hey:

I like the look of this one:

Kuzey

It's missing BFG's.

Hopper
07-28-2010, 10:18 PM
Iain, you could do a futuristic one :hey:

Kuzey
Yeah, I wouldn't mind trying to get back into the swing of these. It's been a while.

Kuzey
07-29-2010, 06:07 AM
This was just uploaded to Flickr....so cooooooool :D

Steampunk wheelchair (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattmendoza/4836446307/in/pool-steampunk#/photos/mattmendoza/4836446307/in/[email protected]/)

Kuzey

jrandom
07-29-2010, 11:06 AM
Oh great, I see this right before I had to leave for work. Soooo tempted to just call in sick and model all day...

jrandom
07-29-2010, 10:46 PM
This was as far as I got in the allotted hour. It's amazing just how short 60 minutes is when you're not very practiced at this. :)

(BTW, any KRay users know how to get the actual sun to show up visibly when using Physical Sky? I had to throw in a specular setting on the cushion instead of using the more realistic-looking blurry reflections because the sun itself doesn't reflect in anything.)

Kuzey
07-30-2010, 06:03 AM
Nice work guys :thumbsup:

I couldn't wait until the weekend...so, here's mine..a spider chair.

60 minutes.

Kuzey

jrandom
07-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Me: Salieri
Kuzey: Mozart

Look at his model! Not a polygon wasted! Kuzey, your modeling technique is a thing of beauty and I'll say again that I would pay cash money if you came up with a set of modeling tutorials.

IgnusFast
07-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Yeah, man - that spider is just sick! Loving the Trek and Mars-Rover chairs too! Great job, folks!

Glad we extended this one; I can't judge my own work, but I'm going to submit one this weekend anyway.

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks guys :D

The good thing is, I recorded that session and it's currently possessing. However, there's no sound....but I'm thinking of adding some voice overlay at the interesting bits....or not.

Next step, would be workout where to upload it once it's ready...maybe rapidshare or the like.

Kuzey

jrandom
07-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys :D

The good thing is, I recorded that session and it's currently possessing. However, there's no sound....but I'm thinking of adding some voice overlay at the interesting bits....or not.

Next step, would be workout where to upload it once it's ready...maybe rapidshare or the like.

Kuzey

I can volunteer some free hosting space on my site if you need it.

aurora
07-31-2010, 11:29 AM
Whens the deadline? I now have a couple ideas and think I need to resort to different as the first is way to complex for 1 hour (as it took me longer to only get half done :( )

That and Kuzey's ROCKS!!! How to beat that bad boy I don't know.

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I can volunteer some free hosting space on my site if you need it.

Thanks jrandom, but it's pretty large at the moment :D

The movie file came out at around 363MB using the mpeg 4 codec and was compressed with winrar to 350MB...and that's with no sound. I'll have to test some settings to see how small I can get it.

Whens the deadline? I now have a couple ideas and think I need to resort to different as the first is way to complex for 1 hour (as it took me longer to only get half done :( )

That and Kuzey's ROCKS!!! How to beat that bad boy I don't know.

Thanks Aurora,

This Wednesday...plenty of time left...can't wait to see them :thumbsup:

Kuzey

jrandom
07-31-2010, 01:34 PM
Thanks jrandom, but it's pretty large at the moment :D

The movie file came out at around 363MB using the mpeg 4 codec and was compressed with winrar to 350MB...and that's with no sound. I'll have to test some settings to see how small I can get it.

No worries, I have the room.

What's the resolution of the video? Maybe cut that in half, lower the bitrate a bit, and use VBR if possible?

I also have some decent encoding software if you wanted to upload the original.

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Hi jrandom,

The current resolution is 1152 x 678, it was re-sized a bit at the time of recording. The colour is set to millions, changing that might help lowering the overall size.

But looking at it, cutting in half might not be a bad idea.

Kuzey

Hopper
08-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Well crapola... I only had about 45 minutes and I spent 10 of it getting the render right.

It WAS supposed to be a giant wheel with railings inside the rims to fit a chair and some gears for propulsion, but maybe when I get some more time I can finish it.

I forgot to triple, so there's plenty of faceting inside the rim and I forgot to flip the wheel so the treads are going in the wrong direction.. :(

http://comdotslashnet.com/images/tire_test_voo2.jpg

And thanks again Kuzey for the wonderfully lit scene. :thumbsup:

jrandom
08-01-2010, 11:49 PM
Well crapola... I only had about 45 minutes and I spent 10 of it getting the render right.

It WAS supposed to be a giant wheel with railings inside the rims to fit a chair and some gears for propulsion, but maybe when I get some more time I can finish it.

I forgot to triple, so there's plenty of faceting inside the rim and I forgot to flip the wheel so the treads are going in the wrong direction.. :(

What technique did you use to make the tire treads?

Wittywop
08-02-2010, 02:46 AM
So as soon as I saw this weeks topic, the first thing that came to mind was the hover chair Professor X uses in the X-Men comics and animated series. So I figured I would give it a try.

I don't know how long I spent on it, way to long. I saw Kuzey Spider Chair and got inspired to make something using subpatching. Had to learn how to work with Subpatching first. lol JeffrySG tutorials on it were really helpful and I learned a great deal, so thanks! :)

Was a fun topic!

P.S. I used the Plugin that Kuzey used for his wireframes, worked great. Question I have is, Is there a easy way to to swap out one object for another in Layout?? Had to bring the other one in and rotate and move to try to get it in the same spot. Just curious if there is an easier way. Thanks.

Kuzey
08-02-2010, 06:35 AM

And thanks again Kuzey for the wonderfully lit scene. :thumbsup:

Oooooh...it's cool to see that scene being used..hehe

Nice work so far, I hope to see it finished one day...as it sounds very interesting indeed :thumbsup:

So as soon as I saw this weeks topic, the first thing that came to mind was the hover chair Professor X uses in the X-Men comics and animated series. So I figured I would give it a try.

I don't know how long I spent on it, way to long. I saw Kuzey Spider Chair and got inspired to make something using subpatching. Had to learn how to work with Subpatching first. lol JeffrySG tutorials on it were really helpful and I learned a great deal, so thanks! :)

Was a fun topic!

P.S. I used the Plugin that Kuzey used for his wireframes, worked great. Question I have is, Is there a easy way to to swap out one object for another in Layout?? Had to bring the other one in and rotate and move to try to get it in the same spot. Just curious if there is an easier way. Thanks.

Nice work Wittywop...looking good :thumbsup:

To swap out models, make sure the model you want to replace is selected first...then use one of the replace tools. I always use replace with object option. It's in the Items tab, down near the bottom, under the group name of "Replace".

Kuzey

aurora
08-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Hopper, I'm not sure but I think my third sketch and hopefully today's attempt, is something like yours. Got the idea from the opening credits from YugiOh 5d Sat morning.

The first two ideas where a wheel chair motorcycle in tribute of a good friend that had been in 3 horrible (yes 3) motorcycle accidents. The bizarre thing is all 3 times he broke his neck and was declared irreversibly paralyzed from the neck down. The first two times he laughed at them and actually regained full mobility. The third he died for and extended period before being revived and has been wheel chair bound for over 20 years now. Knowing Chuck, I'm pretty sure if he had a chance he'd be back on a bike in a pico-second. I think I'll eventually come back to this idea when I have more then an hour to model it and it it comes out nice do a 3D print for Chuck.

Hopper
08-02-2010, 10:59 AM
What technique did you use to make the tire treads?

I do tires the easy way.

1. Create a box 200x25 (14-16 segments depending on tread pattern).
2. Shape out the tread pattern (do one side then mirror), then extrude.
3. Bevel the tops slightly to give a softer rubbery look
4. Clone anywhere from 30-60 (depending on pattern)
5. merge points (usually takes a higher tolerance than Automatic)
6. Bend in the cloned geometry until they meet (trial and error on the degrees).
7. Merge points again.
8. Loop select points in inne diameter, create polygon, then multishift out the sidewall.

The whole process takes about 5 minutes if you already know your tread pattern.
Enjoy.

(screenshots are crude - just pasted in paintbrush for expedience, so there's weirdness at the bottom.)

EDIT: Included "rubber" texture. Nothing fancy - it's just a base.

jrandom
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
I do tires the easy way.

*slaps forehead* Of course! Thank you.

EDIT: Included "rubber" texture. Nothing fancy - it's just a base.

I've been diving into KRay and so haven't even used specular highlights in awhile. It's weird doing everything by blurry reflections, but boy is it pretty. :)

Iain
08-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Well, if a wheelchair was to be a fantasy for me, it would have to be something like this. Full hour for modelling.....................

IgnusFast
08-03-2010, 05:51 AM
Nice, man! I'm still working mine out in my head - I hope I have time tonight to knock it out.

Kuzey
08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
I could see myself giving that a spin...hehe

Nice work Iain!

Kuzey

Iain
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Cheers guys. I based it on an existing model of a chair so it's not eligible for the contest.

IgnusFast
08-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Nice little tread tutorial, Hopper-- very much appreciated!!!

Iain
08-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Nice little tread tutorial, Hopper-- very much appreciated!!!

Yeah its one of those techniques that seem obvious when someone else shows you! :thumbsup:

R.Feeney
08-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Great work guys:thumbsup:

Iain
08-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Another one, inspired in no small amount by the Syd Mead challenge at CGTalk. 40 minutes....................

Kuzey
08-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Oooh..nice :thumbsup:

Iain, did you create any cars for the Syd Mead contest? You could probably see mine from a mile away...with all that rust and what not :hey:

Kuzey

Iain
08-04-2010, 01:56 PM
I didn't pay any attention to the Syd Mead thing until the results were announced. I'll have a look through it for yours though.

Kuzey
08-04-2010, 02:05 PM
I became a member just for the contest...I never took part in being active in the forums...so it's buried deep :hey:

Ps...look for that grey backdrop of mine...an instant give away...haha.

Kuzey

aurora
08-04-2010, 02:32 PM
UGHHHH, OK what I show next is a royal piece of crap. Done in 1 hour, exactly. Alas compared to my sketch and what I could do in an hour I rename this the Nightmare Wheelchair. Its so bad that I almost did not post. But since I think I may redo the whole thing from scratch and take more then an hour, I decided why not, I have no ego to bruise, no pride to have crushed anymore (going back to school at my age can do that to you.)

On the bright side I won't have to come up with an idea for another contest this week:beerchug:

Kuzey
08-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Crap is subjective...I see a cool idea and lots of potential. In any case, we have all been there...it's part of the fun. The next attempt at the model will be way easier :thumbsup:

Can you post that sketch of yours....just for comparison.

Kuzey

jrandom
08-04-2010, 03:27 PM
UGHHHH, OK what I show next is a royal piece of crap. Done in 1 hour, exactly.

If you need some perspective on what might actually entail "crap", please see my entry first. :) Cool model, BTW.

TripD
08-04-2010, 09:21 PM
@jrandom totally agree!

@Aurora..... if that's crap, mine must be the crap that crap crapped!

@Iain ...... jeeesh.... can't slow you down at all! :thumbsup:

Dang... someone let the dogs out on this contest.... I'm runnin for the hills!

Great work everyone.

Hopper
08-04-2010, 10:05 PM
Dang... someone let the dogs out on this contest....

Hmmmmmmm (strokes chin) ... dogs.... chairs... sled chairs... yes.. YES!! that's it! How obvious... chairs for sled dogs.

TripD
08-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Noooo! I can't stand anymore great ideas!!! .... that aren't mine :jam:

Iain
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
I became a member just for the contest...I never took part in being active in the forums...so it's buried deep :hey:

Can't see it-what's your user name?

Aaaaaaand, can you start the new challenge when you get a minute?:D

IgnusFast
08-05-2010, 12:08 PM
I loved all the concepts, but I have to give it to Kuzey with the sweet spider-chair. Just gorgeous wireframe!

I was going to do a yoda-style floating chair with three shrouded lift-props, but I just never had the time.

Great job everyone! I really hope I have time for the next challenge!!!

aurora
08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Kuzey's Spider-Chair was my pick way and by far as well! That was brilliant thinking and execution. Congrats!!!

Whats next, whats next, whats next?!?!?!?

Kuzey
08-05-2010, 01:33 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo....haha :D

Thanks guys...super effort everyone, considering most people were on holidays or too busy :thumbsup:

Kuzey