PDA

View Full Version : Play list for DDR

joseburgos
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Started doing a show that required a lot of clips to be loaded into the DDR as well as changing the in and out points on most of them. So I decided to decipher the DDR play list to develop a quicker way and after 2 secs, I was able to find a work around that yielded a lot of other results of which I will not mention (see my warning below).
First thing to do, in preparing a new play list with in and out points, is to exit Live and enter Edit Media. In edit media, use the story board to load all the clips in the order you need them to be. Next using the time line, with time line ripple enabled, select each clip one at a time and set its in and out points using the i and o key to make quick work of it. When you are all done, select save project. Say no to save undo and name the project as you normally would except add the extension .VTV and save it to the Media\Playlist folder. Now go back to the Live tab and load the play list you just made. It will load with the clips in the order they where in the project with all the in and out points :)
This does exactly the same thing as manually loading the clips, setting the in and out points and then saving the play list in the DDR. I want to stress this as I feel nothing extra, at this point, is being asked of the TriCaster since it is the same exact thing the DDR save playlist does saved except from Edit Media and not the DDR.
****ANYTHING YOU DO FURTHER THAN WHAT I HAVE EXPLAINED, WITH THIS TIP/TRICK, MAY TAX THE TRICASTERS HARDWARE AND POSSIBLY DISTURB YOUR LIVE PRODUCTION*****
Because of the unknown possible problems, I will not divulge more than I have already as I feel this tip, as is, falls right in place with other tips I have given in the past. Because of the seriousness of this knowledge and power it has, I will not answer any questions on this tip. It is a "Take it as it is" tip.

ted
07-19-2010, 09:10 PM
Nice tip Jose. But how.....Just kidding. :D
Thanks for all your ideas!

bbeanan
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
...and what if I....

csandy
07-20-2010, 01:50 AM
Sounds very mysterious.

Cabe
07-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Not that button! :)

joseburgos
07-20-2010, 09:37 AM
Stating the obvious:
Depending on the model TC, it was designed to work without a hitch at playing one or more DDR's = 1/2 Streams, Recording the production = 1 Stream and Saving the Internet Stream file = 1 Stream with the word stream meaning reading/writing to the hard drive/s all at the same time. All models are scaled to handle this to work all the time. Take for example the TriCaster Pro. It has only one DDR and one Picture player instead of two DDR's. One has to assume NewTek designed it this way so that a user does not play two clips at the same time, plus all the other function as mentioned above, and possibly crash/glitch the live production because the Pro model can't handle the extra stream off the hard drive. So Newtek designed it so it only has one DDR to eliminate the problem. Another way could have been to have the two DDR players but make it so that only one could be played at a time so as to prevent problems.
VT users are usally the ones that bark the most about the TriCaster DDR's since they had more ability in the VT DDR. I personally like the way NewTek made working at 100% for every feature the TriCaster has all the time and therefore being able to be used by anyone even if they never used a NewTek DDR before.
So I tread lightly on what I am able to do on my own system always weighing out that the unit needs to preform at 100% in a live production and that over rules anything extra I can make it do. Example, because I have a TCPro, only one clip can play at a time as that is the way it was designed. Also, I wonder if using a fast USB2 external hard drive will help in two clips playing at the same time from the system and the Live recording and Internet stream being written to the external drive?

Take care,

andrum
07-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I like the caveats too. I should add one to my signature. I worry about taxing the tricaster extra by using a scripting program called auto it.
I don't know how resource intensive it is. Some one using my hacks could get into serious trouble.
Anyways, that was a sweet tip.

jcupp
07-25-2010, 09:46 PM
I've done extensive work with AutoIt on a TC Studio and never had any problems. I even resorted to using AI to drive the mouse around and click on tabs and buttons on the TC interface.

You do have to be careful about timing, if you throw too many commands at the TC too quickly it will miss some.

joseburgos
07-27-2010, 09:58 AM
That is why on a few of my tips/tricks, I always add a disclaimer if I feel it could cause damage if care is not taken.
For this particular tip, I choose to not go deep into it and felt just this information, may help users be more productive in doing their productions. This is the first tip/trick I post that is more than a simple delete or rename of a file that could cause a small problem though. Of all them, this one is more like pulling the curtain and revealing the wizard which is not always a good thing :)

PS Thanks for the kind remarks

Take care,

joseburgos
09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
This trick only works with TC Pro, Studio and Broadcast and not the XD series. I need to experiment more with the XD line before I can start posting tricks :)