PDA

View Full Version : is there going to be nurbs support for lightwave core?

octopus2000
07-18-2010, 01:53 PM
i saw some lightwave core promos on youtube. they mentioned a handful of new technologies included in the new version of lightwave. one of guys on the promo said that lightwave was rewritten from the ground up.

does anyone know if lightwave core will be incorporating support for nurbs modeling and editing?

cresshead
07-18-2010, 03:30 PM
nurbs based splines yeh i think so...but nurbs patches like maya probably not...though with the sdk being SO open 3rd parties could go off & make nurbs toolset as a plugin.

hrgiger
07-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Not for the first release most likely. Newtek was looking for another modeling engineer and they were asking for someone who had experience with NURBS so it's very possible they plan on adding it at some point in the future.

LWCAD 4 which is going to be available only for CORE is going to have NURBS surfaces.

octopus2000
07-18-2010, 05:25 PM
Not for the first release most likely. Newtek was looking for another modeling engineer and they were asking for someone who had experience with NURBS so it's very possible they plan on adding it at some point in the future.

LWCAD 4 which is going to be available only for CORE is going to have NURBS surfaces.

will the LWCAD 4 be able to import models from solidworks or rhino3d?

hrgiger
07-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Other then a video which I don't think is available anymore, there's no information on how NURBS surfaces will work in LWCAD 4 or how it will work in CORE.

radams
07-18-2010, 09:54 PM
will the LWCAD 4 be able to import models from solidworks or rhino3d?

Solidworks is not nurbs...its solids...completely different..Rhino does support Nurbs though.

Cheers,

archijam
07-19-2010, 06:25 AM
Maya nurbs were rubbush last time I checked, in comparision to Rhino etc.

Try trimming a previously trimmed curved surface. A common FAIL.

I am not necessarily hell bent on getting FULL nurbs in LW. However, better tools for checking surface curvature, tangency etc. would be a huge step forward, As would some kind of STL approximation export tool.

gristle
07-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Solidworks is not nurbs...its solids...completely different..Rhino does support Nurbs though.

Cheers,

Solidworks also supports surfaces. Which upon import to Rhino, are nurbs.

calilifestyle
07-20-2010, 02:25 PM
i like soildworks. lol one thing i don't like about soildworks is that the routing tool can no longer be purchased as an add-on.

prometheus
07-21-2010, 09:13 AM
I wouldnt mind a solid support in lightwave core..

At work I use Deep explorer to Resurface materials and then convert the soldidworks machines to obj-and import to lightwave for rendering of gym machines.

It sure would be nicer if it could handle solids directly for smoother object manipulation, working with 800 000 polys in modeler isnīt that nice
I do some remodelling of cushions in subdivision surfaces since the solidworks
cushions are mainly the base shape without the foam and without the leather cover with stitches etc, and
they would also have a too hard surface look with solidworks.

And some other minor modeling fixes such as modeling powerbands going
trough the different wheels with twisting and going through machine parts( our designer has a hard time doing those in solidworks)..so Im doing those with pictrix px_bezier curve, and some standard lightwave modeling tools.
And Im also Doing welds and minor texturing and final renders in lightwave, and completly modeling some different gym locker cupboards.

Michael

Matt
07-21-2010, 10:43 AM
I'm wondering if it's possible to take some ideas from the editing coolness of nurbs and translate it over to sub-patches?

prometheus
07-21-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm wondering if it's possible to take some ideas from the editing coolness of nurbs and translate it over to sub-patches?

I think we discussed some of that stuff with sensei in some older thread? regarding easyspline and future core developments for that.

By the way.. do you remember hurleyworks? he had a cool patch plugin
called patchit;wich I believe never got released? only some videos demos of it.
Anyway it looks like that guy is preparing something new, at his old site location thereīs now a new interface but under construction and with a menu for core wich sounds interesting.

http://www.hurleyworks.com/#

Michael

lansd
07-23-2010, 05:34 AM
Solidworks is not nurbs...its solids...completely different..Rhino does support Nurbs though.Cheers,

FYI, there's always been mass confusion in the 3D DCC world about CAD, NURBS and solids. NURBS and solids are not completely different. "BREP Solids" is a virtual concept that defines a closed surface, whose surface is made up of any type of underlying geometry. That geometry could be anything, from NURBS, to meshes to bicubic patches, or procedural geometry. In MCAD, solids are almost always done with NURBS or procedurals (SolidWorks, Pro/E, CATIA, Rhino, etc). What you do is take a bunch of NURBS surfaces, add some BREP "topology" curves to it (which defines how the NURBS are to be virtually stitched together), and voila, you have a BREP solids object.

The proper sentence above would be "SolidWorks tries to model in BREP solids as its highest modelling paradigm, but can also work on NURBS surfaces which are independent and not contained in any BREP solids container". In other words, you can model on the NURBS primitive geometry, or one level up on the BREP soilds (which are defined as multiple NURBS surfaces).

octopus2000
07-23-2010, 06:14 AM
if lightwave core is being rewritten from the ground up, why not add support for NURBs?

evenflcw
07-23-2010, 06:20 AM
CORE is a modern architecture and it's SDK is alot better than classic LW. So... why don't you do it yourself!

Wishing don't make it so. One thing at a time.

octopus2000
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
CORE is a modern architecture and it's SDK is alot better than classic LW. So... why don't you do it yourself!

Wishing don't make it so. One thing at a time.

maybe if i mention it here someone who knows how to do it will make it.