PDA

View Full Version : Inception - Is it as good as they claim?

aurora
07-17-2010, 08:34 AM
Surely many of you went to see Inception. Is it as good as they, critics, claim? This is one of only a couple movies I wanted to see this year and sure enough life, beeped me and I could not go yesterday, nor today, nor tomorrow. I can't complain to much though I did managed to get things working that I have been fighting with daily since the end of March. Though, DiCaprio, who I'm a guy thus not a major fan of, withstanding I have high hopes for this movie.

Markc
07-17-2010, 02:59 PM
I liked it, still trying to digest all the 'different levels' involved (without giving too much away). I was expecting a lot more though, it was a bit slow in parts.

GregMalick
07-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Both Alice & I like Sorcerer's Apprentice much better.
The Inception ending left us both unsatisfied.

aurora
07-17-2010, 10:37 PM
Seriously Greg? I can't even stand to watch the previews for Sorcerer's Apprentice. Maybe I'll just wait for the DVD. I talked to a couple losers that snuck out last night and saw it and said they needed to see it a couple more times to figure it all out.

It sounds like if I'm lucky, which we all no I'm not, I'll go see Despicable Me tomorrow and escape from this damn heat.

radams
07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Both Alice & I like Sorcerer's Apprentice much better.
The Inception ending left us both unsatisfied.

Wow, that was one of the best endings and twists...that left each person to decide what the ending was.

It does have a lot in the movie...you could see it several times and come away with more of the depth and layers that are in it.

I thought what was the greatest was that Nolan, the director, kept the audience creating their each own interpretation of the story as you went along...each person will come away from this with a different point of view.

The last section of the movie moved so fast and deep...that most of the audience held their breath for 5- 10 minutes.

This is not just a popcorn film...or even a roller coaster ride...this has so many elements to it...that I won't let anything out to spoil it here.

Now I think this is a movie you either get or don't...like or hate.

For me, it was one of the best films so far this year for drama, script, direction, and just messing with your reality.

Cheers,

liquidik
07-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Anyone else apart me had a sense of deja vu ?

Paprika by Satoshi Kon...

Iain
07-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Is it as good as they, critics, claim?

Yes, it really is. Like Bond mixed with Night Watch but it has Nolan's own style at its heart.

warrenwc
07-18-2010, 08:13 AM
Loved it!
I didn't make the "Paprika" connection, but saw a lot of Matrix & Dreamscape(in a good way).
My wife & I were both impressed with the story & the effects.

Matt
07-19-2010, 01:08 PM
I need to watch it again, we went to see it but we were all tired, and made the mistake of having a few beers before.

So I fell asleep a number of times and totally lost what was going on! Seemed quite heavy the parts I saw.

Snosrap
07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Very well acted movie. Really good storyline idea, but not spellbinding. Enough action to keep me awake. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

WilliamVaughan
07-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Gets a perfect score from me... Flawless victory!:thumbsup:

GregMalick
07-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Seriously Greg? I can't even stand to watch the previews for Sorcerer's Apprentice. Maybe I'll just wait for the DVD. I talked to a couple losers that snuck out last night and saw it and said they needed to see it a couple more times to figure it all out.

It sounds like if I'm lucky, which we all no I'm not, I'll go see Despicable Me tomorrow and escape from this damn heat.

It's difficult for me to explain all the storyline flaws without making this a horrible spoiler. But I'll try to dance around it in a way that might do the trick. Suffice it to say that DiCaprio's character doesn't seem to have a firm grasp on why he was forced to abandon his children. Personally I would feel a lot more anger regarding my family's abandonment by someone and even worse having someone write "accusations" that ended up forcing me to flee the country - a lot more anger than any guilt about telling someone the truth while within a dream.

And our dissatisfaction in the ending lies in its ambiguity. Sure you spend lots of time talking about the ending - but it's still a cheap obvious trick (or twist if you want) which reminds me of overly salty popcorn in bar that's there to makes you drink more beer.

And the snowy James Bond ending was too Roger Moore for us.

then again --- your mileage may vary (i.e. it may be your cuppa tea).

But Despicable Me is absolutely next on our movie list.

shrox
07-19-2010, 05:03 PM
I haven't seen it, but the first two movies I thought of after seeing the trailer were The Matrix and Dark City.

realgray
07-19-2010, 05:33 PM
I don't buy many movies on blu-ray but Inception is going to be one. I hope they include many extras.

daforum
07-22-2010, 05:13 AM
Going to see it tonight with friends, can't wait as it sounds from the posts here that it's very good.

Twisted_Pixel
07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Watched it last night. Loved it. Did not notice the two and half hours go by.

Decent action, flowing story and good acting all round.

D-OS
07-22-2010, 12:22 PM
I loved it, I had a few friends work on it and it sounded like a fun project.

OlaHaldor
07-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Great movie. Nothing like I expected it to be - which is good. Right after I came back from the cinema, I went all over the internet to see if I could understand how they did the "defying gravity" shots. They were simply amazing !

daforum
07-24-2010, 05:37 AM
Watched it on Thursday and loved the film, especially the fight scenes while the rooms revolved. Reminded me of Fred Astaire dancing around the room in Royal Wedding.
The editor must be enjoying a long holiday right now!

RebelHill
07-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Saw it tonight... pretty good yeah, but...

existenZ much?

Dexter2999
07-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Saw it tonight... pretty good yeah, but...

existenZ much?

I'm older than you...I went to DREAMSCAPE.

RebelHill
07-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm older than you...I went to DREAMSCAPE.

Ahh yeah, seen that too... but the onyl real similarity there I thought was the whole "dream entry" idea.

Now eXistenZ... its virtually the same plot, and the twist at the end is exactly the same. Whole thing smaked of cronenberg really.... which is no bad thing imo.