PDA

View Full Version : CRT Monitors vs LCD Monitors

paulk
09-16-2003, 11:07 AM
I'm trying to decide between CRT and LCD monitor(s) for my new VT3 system. On ZDNET, in a section "What to look for in your next monitor" was the following:

"You'll still pay a lot more for an LCD--models larger than 15 inches remain luxury items--and the speed, brightness, resolution, and color accuracy can't match those of a CRT"

After doing price comparisions of 19", 20" and 21" CRTs to 18", 19" and 20.1" LCDs (to allow for the "real" viewing area on a CRT), there's definitely a price gap. And you'd figure that "speed, brightness, resolution, and color accuracy" being better on a CRT would clinch it.

BUT . . .

I'd like real world feedback from people who use monitors for something besides free cell and reading e-mail.

1. Which have you found easier to work with for several hours at a time?

2. How large a monitor is really necessary (Yeah, bigger is better, but . . .)?

3. I saw a 2 monitor setup that just spread the desktop across two monitors. When a dialog box popped up, it usually straddled the monitors. How should a 2 monitor setup be done?

At this point I'm ignoring the space and coolness advantages of LCDs in favor of what I really look at. If you think of something I've left out, let me know.

Thanks in advance to all who answer.

Zafar Iqbal
09-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Im also considering a switch to LCD - perhaps dual.

I haven't worked with LCD monitors, so i cant help you out there.

But regarding the dual setup: NVidia GFX boards has some of the best support for dual monitor setup - tried it, loved it and longing (yeah, my english sucks, so what?) for it right now..... help!

Jim_C
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
http://www.videotoasternt.com/forums/read.cgi?27101

Follow that thread regarding Flat Panel questions

1. Which have you found easier to work with for several hours at a time?

ABSOLUTELY No questions asked LCD. Your eyes will love you!

2. How large a monitor is really necessary (Yeah, bigger is better, but . . .)?

At Least 17"

3. I saw a 2 monitor setup that just spread the desktop across two monitors. When a dialog box popped up, it usually straddled the monitors. How should a 2 monitor setup be done?

Yes, that is how you will use it with the T3. Spread one desktop across both. A dual head graphics card usually works better than 2 cards or 1 card and one onboard.

As for the box spanning, Ive learned to live with it.
You can turn on the Nview option when using nvidia cards and have it move the box to one monitor or the other, BUT you cant run nview with the T3. So that option is moot. With nice LCD's the frame will be thin enough to not matter much anyway.

Dan Hong
09-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Go LCD. I have two systems. One has Viewsonic VG191b's on it, the other has Samsung SyncMaster192n's on it. The Viewsonics are very beefy and I've been using them for a long time. The Samsungs have a really thin frame so they almost look like a single monitor. Both are much more relaxing to look at than the CRTs. Make sure to get monitors that can do at least 1280 X 1024 (some of the new and cheap monitors can't handle the resolution)

mbloor
09-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Just remember never to do any colorimetric (colour adjustments) on an LCD monitor (not that you would with T3 as it has a true NTSC or PAL output and of course thats the one you use to assess the effects of any colour correction.
The colour co-ordinates of all LCD monitors are not correct.
I agree with all the above
Mark

JesusLovesU
09-17-2003, 10:33 PM
I prefer to stick on CRT monitors!

In editing, desktop 'real estate' is very important. I suggest to get a nVidia FX5600 display card, two (2) 19" CRT monitor, and (if possible) a pair of high-grade screen filters.

This setup is best value for money and performance.

Since video editing consumes a LOTS of time, try to keep a good distance from monitors while you're working. I used to make it at 1 metre. Avoid staring at monitors for more than 2 hours continuingly. Keep your eyes and brain some rest.

Draven
09-28-2003, 05:45 PM
Instead of maxing out your resolution on the CRT monitors, try a lower resolution and a higher refresh rate. Also, CRT monitors don't smear on fast motion.

OBroschart
09-29-2003, 10:05 AM
I wasn't too sure how LCDs would work for us when I decided to purchase them for our production room. I too was worried about video blurring and smearing. But we went ahead and got dual 19" Dell 1901FP Ultrasharp LCD monitors for our Precision 650 and they are great.

When choosing and LCD monitor, what I found was that the key features you need to check are the response rates and brightness/contrast levels.

These Dell have a 25ms response time which works fine for video. We have no ghosting or smearing happening when we play back on the VT-Vision even with fielding enabled.

And as you would always want to Q/C your video on a separate NTSC or PAL monitor anyway, the LCD panel's brightness and contrast levels are primarily for gauging how easily you'd be viewing the VT interface and not for eyeballing your video's levels. You wouldn't do that on a CRT anyway.

Also, a 19" LCD monitor's viewable image size (VIS) is truly 19" across as opposed to CRT's who's VIS are not the same as the marketed screen sizes. In this respect, a 19" LCD is equivalent to a 20" or 21" CRT. Other than that, the LCD's lighter weight and smaller footprint makes them easier to integrate into your production room.