PDA

View Full Version : New MacPro sees new Dongle ID

hdace
07-16-2010, 07:39 PM
I've been using LW for years and my dongle always reports the same two Dongle IDs on Mac/PC. I got a new MacPro and I've just downloaded LW 9.6, been using since new on two platforms, suddenly LW is reporting a new, completely different, third Dongle ID. Needless to say, my license key is not working. Help please.

rsfd
07-17-2010, 08:11 AM
I guess you're using a Duo-Dongle?
According to the OpenBeta Info concerning the future use of Dongles with LW9.6.1 64-bit, the Duo should work with LW 9.6 normally.
But probably (when you have a new MacPro, you're having 10.6.x I guess) OSX is using now the 64-bit Sentinel Driver for the Duo-Dongle, which results in a new Dongle-ID.
You could try to remove the Sentinel Framework from Modeler, Hub and Layout (right-click on each app, choose "show package content", then go to "Contents">"Frameworks" and drag out the Sentinel-Framework to another place of your HD). If you're lucky, this will force OSX to use the Eve-3 Framework for the Duo-Dongle (only 32-bit) and should show your known Dongle-ID.
(If it fails, you can simply drag the Sentinel Frameworks back into the Application Packages).

Then you should contact NewTek customer support, which probably will advise you to exchange your Dongle to a Sentinel-UltraPro.

I attach Chucks Dongle info from the OB-forum (I'm hoping that this won't have any disadvantages for me ;) , but I think this info was available inside the normal forums too) and hope this could be of any help for you.

Cocoa and Dongles: Eve3 Exchange; Duo Notes
Rainbow Eve3 Dongles:

LightWave 3D v9.6.1 brings both 32-bit and 64-bit Mac support to LightWave users for the first time. One of the issues that users will need to be aware of is that only the Sentinel framework is provided for 64-bit operation, because SafeNet does not have plans to port the Eve3 Framework, which is required for the Mac-only Eve3 USB Dongles. If you have an Eve3 USB dongle and you plan to use the 64-bit version of v9.6.1, you will need to exchange it for the current Sentinel Ultrapro Dongle. This same issue will also affect LightWave CORE if you are planning to upgrade - CORE will use only the Sentinel driver for both the 32-bit and 64-bit Mac versions.

You can determine if you have an Eve3 dongle by checking the engraved logo on the top, where it will say Rainbow/Eve3.

Folks who have an Eve3 dongle can call or email Customer Services now to request that the replacement dongle be sent out. There will be at most a small charge for the dongle (management is still reviewing the details of the exchange program), the replacement will ship immediately upon request, and the customer can return the Eve3 dongle that is being retired after receiving and getting set up and running with the new Ultrapro dongle and new dongle ID.

NewTek will also provide confirmation of the exchange to any third parties from whom the user has products that key to the dongle, as for example do Worley Labs products. If you round up the necessary fax numbers or email addresses for your third party products, you can provide that information in your first call or email to NewTek CS, and that will enable the CS staff to send out the confirmation notices very quickly after entering the order.

Please note that we are not able to provide an exchange unit with the same Lock ID number that you currently have. If you have third party plugins that are keyed to the dongle but are no longer supported, you will not be able to use those plugins with the new dongle.

Rainbow Duo Dongles:

The Rainbow Duo dongle supports both the Eve3 Framework and the Sentinel driver. For LightWave 3D v9.6.1 64-bit the Sentinel Driver is used, and so will report a different Lock ID than did your 32-bit Mac LightWave 3D. Registration needs to be updated to allow for this, so for now users with Duo dongles will need to contact Customer Services in order to get a license key for 64-bit Mac UB, as Registration is generating a key based on the Eve3 lock ID.

Please note that if you have also registered the Windows Lock ID for your Duo Dongle, then Registration should have generated a license key for that ID which should work as well for LWCORE on Mac.

This issue will also affect LightWave HC (the LightWave 3D version updated to interoperate with LightWave CORE) as it will include the conversion of the Mac code to Cocoa native, and include a 64-bit version. The 32-bit version will still use Eve3 support, but the new 64-bit version will use the Sentinel driver, and will report a different Lock ID than the 32-bit version.

hdace
07-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Tried it but it didn't work. Called Technical Support, waited for 45 minutes, no one ever came on the phone.

Dexter2999
07-17-2010, 07:08 PM
It's Saturday, Dude!

wrench
07-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Hours: 7 days a week, 8:30am to 6:30pm CST from http://www.newtek.com/tech_support.php

B

3DGFXStudios
07-19-2010, 06:56 AM
register with the new dongle ID and you get a new serial.

rsfd
07-20-2010, 03:07 AM
NO! This can't be sooo easy! It has to be more complicated!
:D :D :D

m.simpson
09-02-2010, 04:07 AM
The problem is fixed in 9.6.1 but 9.6 works better with maestro. i have some plugins to register and so I would like all my versions to use the correct dongle id. hmm - any clear solutions. I'll keep searching. Or should I just ask for a dongle ultrapro.