PDA

View Full Version : RGB values not matching selection

jrandom
07-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I've noticed this in both Lightwave 9.6 (32-bit) and Lightwave HC (64-bit), on Mac (10.6.4) in the node editor.

When I select a color (I've tried both the default color picker and the lightwave color picker) and set the RGB values and click Okay, the values that wind up for the color are a bit different.

For example, I wanted something to be 70% white, so I set my RGB values to 178 but the values that wind up in my color node (or any other color entry in any node) are 162 or thereabouts. The color is noticeably different from the one I selected.

This happens no matter if I'm in RBG, HSV, Mac Crayons, etc...

Anyone know what causes this behavior and how to fix it?

Matt
07-14-2010, 07:14 PM
I was gonna say it's the Linear Workflow settings in LWHC.

Although just tried it here and it's not doing it here.

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 08:38 AM
If you are using the mac color picker you may need to pick the color space your monitor is calibrated first in the color picker. This will ensure that the color is accurate to your monitor color space. (different than linear workflow)

If you haven't calibrated your monitor you should do it through the monitor control panel (color) section. Pick advanced for a more accurate calibration. Or you can pick a color profile that you might want to use instead.

Once you've done this and you go back to that color profile and the colors should be accurate.

Does that make sense?

jrandom
07-15-2010, 09:38 AM
If you are using the mac color picker you may need to pick the color space your monitor is calibrated first in the color picker.

I can't seem to find where this is done. There's a color space setting somewhere in the color picker?

If you haven't calibrated your monitor you should do it through the monitor control panel (color) section. Pick advanced for a more accurate calibration. Or you can pick a color profile that you might want to use instead.

I'm a digital photographer too so I've got this sucker calibrated with a Spyder 3. I thought was I was pretty good at calibrating by hand but the Spyder 3 showed me just how "off" I was.

Anyone still calibrating by hand is fooling themselves. :screwy:

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 10:22 AM
If you look in the attached pic there is a little color icon (upper left) that you click on that brings up the color profile list. Just select the profile that you create with the Spyder 3.

Yeah, I still calibrate by hand but as long as you're getting hard copy proofs for whatever print material you're creating that is the best way to judge. If the print looks good/accurate that's what counts in the end. :)

jrandom
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
If you look in the attached pic there is a little color icon (upper left) that you click on that brings up the color profile list. Just select the profile that you create with the Spyder 3.

OMG, that's a button! Apple, your UI design has failed me!

Yeah, I still calibrate by hand but as long as you're getting hard copy proofs for whatever print material you're creating that is the best way to judge. If the print looks good/accurate that's what counts in the end. :)

Point taken. My by-hand color profiles were pretty good, but I was still shocked at just how far away from true white I was. Just looking at my original profile, it looked pretty good and was a very close match to prints, but comparing it to the machine-calibrated profile was like night and day.

Or I may just suck at hand-calibrating monitors... :thumbsup:

(All photos here (http://jrandom.smugmug.com/) that were taken before 2010 were all finished via hand-calibrated monitor. So it still worked out well.)

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 02:42 PM
OMG, that's a button! Apple, your UI design has failed me!

Point taken. My by-hand color profiles were pretty good, but I was still shocked at just how far away from true white I was. Just looking at my original profile, it looked pretty good and was a very close match to prints, but comparing it to the machine-calibrated profile was like night and day.

Or I may just suck at hand-calibrating monitors... :thumbsup:

(All photos here (http://jrandom.smugmug.com/) that were taken before 2010 were all finished via hand-calibrated monitor. So it still worked out well.)

lol, don't worry.... it took me about a year to figure out that it was a button too! lol

Nice photos! :) I'm sure it's nice to have the hardware calibration don't get me wrong, but in this world of people looking at photos on the computer we're fighting so much too as we don't know what other peoples computer viewing conditions are really like too. Can't hurt to be as calibrated as you can though. :thumbsup:

jrandom
07-15-2010, 03:09 PM
lol, don't worry.... it took me about a year to figure out that it was a button too! lol

What's that option you have to the right of the crayons? I've never seen that before.

This will ensure that the color is accurate to your monitor color space. (different than linear workflow)

Since Lightwave HC can run in all linear mode and I'm rapidly making the switch, what color space should I be using for that? If I'm trying to make accurate materials (ie. bright white should have diffuse + reflection no greater than 70%) with the proper amount of light reflectance, I want to be able to specify a brightness and not have it change once I've made my color selection.

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 05:12 PM
^ahhh... that's an add on for Adobe Kuler. It's pretty cool.
http://www.lithoglyph.com/mondrianum/
Check it out and then register for Kuler too. I've added a few color schemes based on kelvin temperature that you can search for too. Or you can just search for 'JeffrySG' on Kuler.

Since Lightwave HC can run in all linear mode and I'm rapidly making the switch, what color space should I be using for that? If I'm trying to make accurate materials (ie. bright white should have diffuse + reflection no greater than 70%) with the proper amount of light reflectance, I want to be able to specify a brightness and not have it change once I've made my color selection.
I haven't figured that out yet. Ideally you should be able to set it to your calibrated monitor space and it would stay on that so the RGB values would always stay the same. But I'm not sure how to do that. I think I need to do a little investigating about how that all should work as it too drives me crazy!

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
After some searched it does seem that there are a lot of people that have this issue.

Here try this.... crazy...

in the texture area
pick 127/127/127 in the LW color area by clicking on the rgb numbers. (don't use a color picker)
Then click on the gray square.
The apple picker shows 50% gray (if you're in the HSB mode).
Then click ok and the LW numbers don't change.
Then click on the gray square again - it should be 50% still.
Move the slider so it's higher then move it back to 50% again and click ok.
The LW numbers change - as it looks like the apple picker is applying some color profile adjustment after the change. For me it becomes 108 / 108 / 108.
Then click on the square - for me it shows 43%.
And then click on the little color icon and change the profile to your calibrated space.
Pop, it goes back to 50% but....
when you click ok the LW numbers don't change....
Get's very hard to pick and keep a very specific RGB value.

I guess you could switch LW to the LW color picker instead but I do like the Apple picker except for this crappy issue!

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 05:38 PM
update...

after a little more testing.... if the apple picker is set to RGB sliders instead of HSB this issues disappears... simple solution I guess.... ;)

In that case you could probably just leave the color profile set to Generic to keep the RGB values where you want them.