PDA

View Full Version : Speed Modeling Challenge #90 - 'Fresh' Air

Iain
07-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Speed Modeling Challenge #90 - 'Fresh' Air
Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a render of your model (min 800x600 pixels) in this thread with a wireframe.
3. LightWave should be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic: 'Fresh' Air

Honest-I didn't get inspiration for this when sitting in the bathroom thinking, "What could I come up with for the next challenge?" but....

Don't you just hate air fresheners? Sometimes they are the only option but they just mask bad smells and make me gag at the same time.

So...................
air fresheners of any description: industrial, car, home sprays, those horrid things you get in public toilets that burn the hairs in your nose or, your own interpretation of the subject.

Time Limit - 60 minutes.

Deadline - Wednesday 21st July 2010, 2200 GMT

OlaHaldor
07-15-2010, 04:58 AM
Hehe, you put it very well. Masks the bad smells and make me gag at the same time... So true!

Will try to get some time to do it when I'm done with this earth composition thingy..

Iain
07-15-2010, 12:14 PM
Will try to get some time to do it when I'm done with this earth composition thingy..

Cool.

One for the house and one for the car................

Matt
07-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Finally a challenge I have time to enter!

;)

RudySchneider
07-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Excellent! But where's your wireframe?

JeffrySG
07-15-2010, 07:10 PM
Cool.

One for the house and one for the car................
The Tree was the first thing I thought of! lol No need for me to build it now! hahah Nice image! :)

Finally a challenge I have time to enter!

;)

Matt, did you use a linear work flow for that image? Was the sky all hypervoxels? Do you think you can do a video tutorial for that image? :D

TripD
07-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Long time no play. Thought I'd grab this before someone else snagged it! :devil:

Oh.... 45 mins modeling..... sigh..... sloooooooow and sloppy :/

RudySchneider
07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Long time no play. Thought I'd grab this before someone else snagged it! :devil:

Apparently, you missed Iain's post above...

Iain
07-16-2010, 01:57 AM

Funny-your wireframe looks exactly like mine except that yours is symmetrical. Nice job :)

TripD
07-16-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks!..... lol I saw your spray can Iain and skipped right on by the tree. Was in a big hurry to be the first with a stinky tree :)

So, I have this distinct memory as a kid. I got into an uncle's brand new car. It had that 'new car smell' barring the cigerette smell. To this day, the notion still turns my stomache....... Burp!

PixelDust
07-16-2010, 06:29 PM
Well, I don't quite agree that all air fresheners stink... so I modeled one that I like. It smells like somebody just peeled an orange in the room.

It took more time to model than I thought it would - 58 minutes.

I didn't keep track of how long it took to texture, but I'd guess 3-4 hours. I used Xara Designer Pro 6 for the label and Z-Brush for the displacement map for the cap, but the cap was all modeled in LW 9.6. I had to touch up the disp map in Photoshop because some parts needed fixin'.

Iain
07-17-2010, 02:59 AM
Very nice Pixeldust!
Great, detailed modelling and excellent texturing :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-17-2010, 05:11 AM
Looking great guys..nice work!!

Kuzey

JeffrySG
07-17-2010, 07:26 AM
Well, I don't quite agree that all air fresheners stink... so I modeled one that I like. It smells like somebody just peeled an orange in the room.

It took more time to model than I thought it would - 58 minutes.

I didn't keep track of how long it took to texture, but I'd guess 3-4 hours. I used Xara Designer Pro 6 for the label and Z-Brush for the displacement map for the cap, but the cap was all modeled in LW 9.6. I had to touch up the disp map in Photoshop because some parts needed fixin'.

Nice! I used to have that same spray! I used it at work but everyone else seemed to hate it. I loved it though. :)

Shnoze Shmon
07-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I like to burn candles occasionally, mostly cinnamon scents.

Modeling time less than 55 minutes. Texture 30 - 40 minutes.

Could be a lot better but with the time and my skills I'm feeling good about it.

Oh yeah! And this is the first time I've actually included a render with my entry. lol

PixelDust
07-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks, Iain. I like your entry, too, particularly the tree, and your spray can label has a lot of detail as well. It looks just like the cans I see all the time at work. Are those wood planks modeled or is it a texture? It looks good either way.

TripD - I don't like new car smell, either. :i_agree:

PixelDust
07-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Here's one more - it's a Renuzit-type air freshener. Modeling time was 20 minutes, and I spent maybe 3-4 hours on texturing and rendering.

Salv8or
07-17-2010, 06:33 PM
This is my take on the smelly thing.

1 hour of modeling on the spot with two sittings.
First 40min for the "car/interior", then dinner.
Second sitting was 5 minon the dices followed by aprox 15min on the lwlogo.

Materials and light about 1.5 hours and tinkering with ffx about 2 hours.
(I cant get my head around the settings in that "plug")

Iain
07-18-2010, 01:50 AM
Hah Salv8or that's great!
Love the render-its just like in my car.

Iain
07-18-2010, 04:09 AM
Folks, I'm going to be away for a week so I propose we extend this challenge until Sunday 25th July.

The new one can start as planned but I won't be around to judge this so it may as well run on.

Cheers.

PixelDust
07-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Salv8or, I like how your entry tells a story. And 40 minutes to model a partial car is fast (at least, I don't think I could model it that fast!)

Salv8or
07-18-2010, 10:09 AM
Thnx for the kind words guys. I think Im gonna make something out of it. IŽll see after this evanings BBQ and beer.

Kuzey
07-18-2010, 12:31 PM
I thought I'd go with a steampunk twist...gas mask :D

About 60 minutes modelling.

Kuzey

stevmjon
07-19-2010, 08:46 PM
i am always impressed at your creativity, and speed at organic modelling kuzey.

stevmjon

Hopper
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I thought I'd go with a steampunk twist...gas mask
Kuzey, all your models are just slick. I love your outline renders, lighting and overall smoothness of the results. It sounds silly, but would you mind posting your standard scene that you've been using? It's perfect for all the little "pieces parts" renders I have to do and mine just don't come out as well. That, and I'm sure I'd definitely learn a few things from it.

COBRASoft
07-20-2010, 03:29 AM
Kuzey: that's fast and beautiful modeling you got there man!

I second Hopper, it would be interesting to see the light setup and other render settings.

Kuzey
07-20-2010, 04:41 AM
Thanks guys :thumbsup:

You can get my standard scene (and some cool metal/rust surfaces as well) from my latest free download:

http://kuzey3d.blogspot.com/2010/07/flying-car-silver.html

And here is the rendered and slightly tweaked versions :D

Kuzey

Salv8or
07-20-2010, 05:10 AM
I agree with the above statments.. Clean and with a nice flow. How do you do your WF renders?? Just dlŽd your car scene, wich is sweet, but no wf render as far as I can see.

Kuzey
07-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Thanks Salv8or,

It's a Modeler plugin called polygon coloring (http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php).

1/ Run it in Modeler on the object you want and save it under a new name.

2/ Load my scene in Layout and swap the car model for your new file.

3/ Under the Object Properties panel, turn on the"surface Borders" option...under the edges tab and hit render.

Ps...the default colours of the plugin are too white/bright for me...I use 170,170,170 gray instead. Also, don't forget to save you objects under a new name, otherwise you will overwrite your surfaces. I do something like "newobjectname_lines.lwo" and "newscenename_lines.lws".

Kuzey

Salv8or
07-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Thnx m8. IŽll give it a try. (allways wanted a good way to display wireframes)

Salv8or
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Ahh.. A genius little plugin.. Could probably be usefull for other purps aswell. (not that I can think of any right now)
Makes a different surface for all pollygons that are sharing edges.

aurora
07-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I love kuzey's design, very steampunky and cool!

jrandom
07-20-2010, 02:15 PM
All those in favor of strapping down Kuzey and making him write a series of organic modeling tutorials, raise your hand.

Thought so.

Waves of light
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
All those in favor of strapping down Kuzey and making him write a series of organic modeling tutorials, raise your hand.

Thought so.

Raised

jrandom
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Kuzey: The more I study your models the more I see you have a fantastic grasp of polygon flow and model structure. So good, in fact, that I would shell out cash money if you were to put together a solid set of modeling tutorials (which are a lot of work to make which is why I'd be willing to pay for 'em).

Hopper
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys :thumbsup:
You can get my standard scene (and some cool metal/rust surfaces as well) from my latest free download:
You are the MAN Kuzey.

Kuzey: The more I study your models the more I see you have a fantastic grasp of polygon flow and model structure.
Sure does... I even have a "Kuzey" folder in my projects directory so I can reference poly flow for some of those "trickier than usual" kind of shapes. :)

Kuzey
07-21-2010, 05:41 AM
Ahh.. A genius little plugin.. Could probably be usefull for other purps aswell. (not that I can think of any right now)
Makes a different surface for all pollygons that are sharing edges.

It's a great little plugin for sure, but it could be a little more advanced. One thing I would love, is if the new surfaces names were derived from existing surface names and they keep the surfaces intact too. That way, you could have a full textured render with wireframe as well...could be interesting effect :D

Kuzey: The more I study your models the more I see you have a fantastic grasp of polygon flow and model structure. So good, in fact, that I would shell out cash money if you were to put together a solid set of modeling tutorials (which are a lot of work to make which is why I'd be willing to pay for 'em).

Thanks Jrandom,

I can't think of any ideas for tutorials, other than having a step by step process/guide on how my models develop. But, I always forget to save all the steps..silly me 8/

You are the MAN Kuzey.

Sure does... I even have a "Kuzey" folder in my projects directory so I can reference poly flow for some of those "trickier than usual" kind of shapes. :)

Thanks Hopper,

It's cool and funny at the same time, to know there's a folder named after me...hehe :thumbsup:

If you guys would like to see a step by step guide on any particular model I made...let me know and I'll get started. Or you can choose something I haven't made yet...I'm open for anything :D

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-21-2010, 06:22 AM
Thinking about it some more...I think I'll do a tutorial on the gas mask to start things off.

You'll be shocked to find out how simple it really is :D

Kuzey

COBRASoft
07-21-2010, 07:32 AM
Raised both my hands here :D.

jrandom
07-21-2010, 08:21 AM
I can't think of any ideas for tutorials, other than having a step by step process/guide on how my models develop.

I know it's tricky. I've put together compositing tutorials waaaay back in the past (when greenscreening on a home computer was a black art) and even that was a lot of work for something that on the surface was easy for me.

You say that "it's surprising how simple it is!" and I don't doubt that. :) What I would be looking for in a tutorial is the reasons why you make the decisions you do on what steps you take when building it. A lot of this is, I'm assuming, very intuitive for you so it can be tricky to determine what you should be pointing out during the step-by-step guide.

If you can, I would say pick some simple model that includes all the major kinds of decisions you tend to encounter during general Sub-D modeling. That would be the most useful for noobs like myself who aren't so good at polygon flow yet.

Kuzey
07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
I'll do some primers first...concentrating on the tools I use and how I use them etc....should be fun :)

Most of it is trial and error. Basically, I try to make some interesting polygon selections...then use multishift and what not.

Kuzey

Hopper
07-21-2010, 04:32 PM
You'll be shocked to find out how simple it really is

Exactly the point. Sometimes people see the modeling solution in startling elegance, while some of us, like me, over-engineer a solution to the point where it is virtually unusable for anything other than a crappy still shot.

Wrshredder
07-22-2010, 12:13 AM
nono nooooo!!
I've been texturing and doing the whole morning a model for this challenge just to realize im day late. :D
:cursin:

Well im gonna post it anyway. This is not final render, im gonna do a better one just for my own purposes, and tweak the model just a bit.
Cant get better Air Freshener than that, huh! =P

Wrshredder
07-22-2010, 01:45 AM
Ok heres the final render if you must see :P
I did some virtual darkroom version too, but it was over 5mt so i cant link it up here..

Kuzey
07-22-2010, 05:20 AM
Wrshredder, this challenge has been extended to Sunday...I think :D

Nice model by the way!

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-22-2010, 05:31 AM
Exactly the point. Sometimes people see the modeling solution in startling elegance, while some of us, like me, over-engineer a solution to the point where it is virtually unusable for anything other than a crappy still shot.

Haha...that still happens to me as well :D

That's why the speed challenges have been so great. They take away the habit of over analyzing/thinking things out too much.

Kuzey

Wrshredder
07-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Wrshredder, this challenge has been extended to Sunday...I think :D

Nice model by the way!

Kuzey

Wow, awesome! In that case here's the wire pic too..

Wittywop
07-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice work all.

Glad it got extended to Sunday. Kinda got sidetracked and didn't get a chance to play in LW till today. Below Is my Glade plugin. Have one in my room and figured why not try and make one.

I need to go back and actually make the lil smelly insert for it. so in its current state it isn't making anything fresher. :)

Iain
07-26-2010, 07:56 AM
Lots of great entries on this one.

I'm not sure what it is but Kuzey's steampunk entry wins on sheer modelling prowess. Beautiful lines on that one!

Congrats (once again!) to Kuzey :thumbsup:

jrandom
07-26-2010, 06:23 PM
Here is my first attempt at a Speed Model challenge, a day late and a dollar short. I also went waaaay over time trying to get the lighting, materials, and especially the DOF to look right. The table just refused to cooperate and I also see now why so many of you turn to DOF in post instead of directly in the render.

TripD
07-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Soooo agreed Iain! Nice work everyone.

Iain
07-27-2010, 02:31 AM
Here is my first attempt at a Speed Model challenge, a day late and a dollar short. I also went waaaay over time trying to get the lighting, materials, and especially the DOF to look right. The table just refused to cooperate and I also see now why so many of you turn to DOF in post instead of directly in the render.

That looks great. :thumbsup:
Remember though, that its only the modelling that has to be done in the time limit.

Do you know how to use the proximity modifier for DOF in LW? It gives you great control. I rarely do mine in post.

**edit -
To use Proximity for DOF control:

Add a Null. Position it exactly where you want the focus to be. You can reposition it whenever you need to.

Add the 'Proximity' modifier in the Camera's Focal Distance Envelope. Double click on it then select the null as Item and the camera as Target.

Perfect DOF!

- edit**

jrandom
07-27-2010, 10:11 AM
That looks great. :thumbsup:
Remember though, that its only the modelling that has to be done in the time limit.

Yay! Not that my simple candle can complete with the other entries but I will improve with time.

Do you know how to use the proximity modifier for DOF in LW? It gives you great control. I rarely do mine in post.

I should clarify: It wasn't the focal point that was the problem, it was rendering non-grainy DOF that took forever. I wound up having to use an adaptive AA setting so sensitive that the number of AA runs on the partial-reflections glass material ballooned the render time to... 14 hours I think.

Iain
07-27-2010, 10:47 AM
it was rendering non-grainy DOF that took forever. I wound up having to use an adaptive AA setting so sensitive that the number of AA runs on the partial-reflections glass material ballooned the render time to... 14 hours I think.

Hmmm something's not right. Dof has a render time hit, obviously, but it should be anything like that.

If you post your scene, I'm sure we could get it down to minutes.

jrandom
07-27-2010, 10:57 AM
Hmmm something's not right. Dof has a render time hit, obviously, but it should be anything like that.

If you post your scene, I'm sure we could get it down to minutes.

It was using the partial internal reflections combined with blurry reflection and refraction in the dielectric node that did it. I turned those off for getting the DOF AA settings and re-enabled it for the final render. The AA wound up re-evaluating the glass over and over and over.

I'll post the scene file when I get home so you can take a look. (14 hours does seem a bit overkill, so if you can find faster settings that would be great.)

jrandom
07-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Here's the scene file. What I'm really curious to know is if there's a better way to get smooth AA on DOF without generating so many sample that expensive materials wind up generating ridiculous render times.

Iain
07-31-2010, 04:54 AM
Sorry its taken so long to look at this.

The main things I'd try to reduce the huge render times are

Turn off Caustics and Skytracer. The former is pretty useless and the latter has been out of date for years. Try Sunsky or Imageworld instead.

Next, I'd use FG radiosity and turn off all the defaults except Interpolated and Blur Background. Its faster and the results are similar usually.

I haven't changed your candle object but I did ditch the procedural wood (just cos I hate it with a passion :D)
The render time was 15 minutes on my laptop but it could do with better AA. I know its different from yours but I'm closer to the object which sells DOF better imho and should actually take longer.

Kuzey
07-31-2010, 05:06 AM
I always had Caustics on and I have no idea why...time to turn it off I think....hehe.

Nice touch up Iain :thumbsup:

Kuzey

jrandom
07-31-2010, 10:54 AM
Excellent wood surface!

I'm pretty disappointed by the wood shaders and will probably never use them again. Sadly, I had to throw out my texture map folder some time ago because all the images were too low-res (had 'em back when a 320x240 render was considered "medium size") and haven't built up much of a new collection yet.

I notice you turned off DOF, and that was what primarily caused me to use the AA settings that resulted in awful render times.

(I had caustics on? I don't even remember activating those!)