PDA

View Full Version : Using Lightwave 3D 9.6+ as a renderer

TheDynamo
07-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Has anyone had any experience using Lightwave 3D strictly as a renderer? Would anyone recommend that workflow? I will have several projects created in Cinema 4D and would like to use LW to render the final project instead of using Cinema's base render engine (we do not have the advanced engine plugin). Are there any caveats to doing that kind of thing?

-Rob

biliousfrog
07-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I haven't personally but it's certainly not uncommon, Lightwave has been used to render assets from Maya, Softimage and Max for a number of years. Id look into pointoven for transferring assets.

TheDynamo
07-13-2010, 03:57 PM
I remember hearing of several projects that used LW3D as a render engine. The M&Ms from Will Vinton fame before they were changed into Laika being one of them.

Greenlaw
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Has anyone had any experience using Lightwave 3D strictly as a renderer? Would anyone recommend that workflow? I will have several projects created in Cinema 4D and would like to use LW to render the final project instead of using Cinema's base render engine (we do not have the advanced engine plugin). Are there any caveats to doing that kind of thing?

In the Box we use LightWave as our primary renderer here for LightWave, Maya, Houdini, and anything else we can bake an .mdd out of. There have been jobs where we successfully baked bones animation out of Maya to LightWave, but we mainly use .mdd now.

As biliousfrog noted, PointOven is a must have for this sort of 'cross-package' thing. We use PO, as well as 'in-house' tools. (Does PO support C4D?)

Anyway, I think you can download and run LW in 'Discovery' mode to try it out.

hrgiger
07-13-2010, 07:27 PM
I think Pooby does this (the one who made Greg Mutt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9Fod9KigU), although I think he uses Fprime. I think he uses pointoven to take his animation from Softimage into Lightwave.

speismonqui
07-13-2010, 10:10 PM
check this out:
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/3d__and__animation/the_art_of_robotics

The Embassy uses lightwave´s renderer for this one!
apparently also Luxology’s Modo to model, Lightwave to manage motion capture datas and rendering.